This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I think sooner rather than later transportation is going to move away from oil. At least cars will, not sure what the prospects are for things like freighters or airplanes, which we also heavily rely on.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 24th, 2020, 6:41 pm I think sooner rather than later transportation is going to move away from oil. At least cars will, not sure what the prospects are for things like freighters or airplanes, which we also heavily rely on.
For autos that means your phasing out every (just about every) car on the road right now. Forcing people to buy really expensive replacements. You hit the nail on the head, how do you deal with heavy transport? I know some trucking companies are working with natural gas and electric but that’s still an expensive transition. Diesel is still “dirt” cheap in comparison. Then let’s look at shipping. Are huge container ships going to run on sails? Mini nuclear reactors would be cool, but again, cost. Planes? How are UPS FedEx et all going to stay in business without jet fuel. Railroads? If Biden/Harris have their way the world is going to be a much more expensive place to live. Personally, I’m enjoying $1.84 gas and being able to fill up in under 5 minutes as opposed to plugging in my Tesla for 75 minutes to fully recharge
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, when I say “sooner rather than later,” I mean in something like 20 years you’ll see majority electric vehicles for personal use. Most people don’t realize how much we rely on trains and ships, though, so it’s obviously more complicated than personal use.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 24th, 2020, 7:43 pm The electric car thing is already starting to be passed in some states.
Explain please
By Jonathan Carone
Colorado has become the 11th state to adopt California's zero-emission-vehicle mandate forcing automakers to sell more electric cars in the state.

The new rule was passed by Colorado's air-quality commission by a vote of 8 to 1 on Aug. 23. It requires at least 5% of an automaker's new car lineup to be electric vehicles, or EVs, by 2023 and more than 6% by 2025.
Source

Last week, California Governor Gavin Newson leaned over the hood of a Ford Mustang Mach-E and signed an executive order saying that all new passenger cars and trucks sold in the state must be emission-free by 2035.

The new mandate doesn't necessarily mean that California car dealers would, literally, sell nothing but fully electric or hydrogen-powered vehicles 15 years from now, several experts say.

That is the goal, though. And it's not entirely out of the question, said Nick Albanese, a researcher with Bloomberg New Energy Finance.
Source

On January 15, the Washington State Senate voted 26-23 to pass SB 5811, that essentially mandates that automakers dedicate a certain portion of their vehicle sales in the state to fully electric vehicles (EVs) by 2022, and that all new vehicles sold in the state must be electric by 2030.

At the same time, our House passed HB1110, a Low Carbon Fuel Standard that pushes us to get rid of petroleum fuels in cars and trucks. Washington State also passed the Clean Energy Transformation Act (CETA) which commits Washington State to an electricity supply free of greenhouse gas emissions by 2045.
Source
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
But it’s not mandating consumers buy them. Those executive orders Etc are just for show with no teeth. Dealers can say “see? We have these models available to order, we meet the standard”. believe the Leaf has already been discontinued and the Volt is being discontinued. But Hummer and Mustang are coming out with electric options.
On a side note I’m sad to see the demise of the big sedan. The Taurus and Impala are being discontinued as well. First the big Caddy’s and Lincoln’s. Then the Crown Vics and Caprice Classics. Now these. :(
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Regardless of government interventions, I think we will see the barriers come down. The electric cars in the next 15-20 years will get cheaper, range will get higher, and charge time will decrease.

And the Tesla Model S is a pretty big sedan :D
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 24th, 2020, 11:03 pm Regardless of government interventions, I think we will see the barriers come down. The electric cars in the next 15-20 years will get cheaper, range will get higher, and charge time will decrease.

And the Tesla Model S is a pretty big sedan :D
This is what I was saying. When change happens more organically and prices come down, fine. You can’t force it though at the expense of middle- and low-income families. And Biden et al, know that. They just pander away to the green far left.

I also never want to do it at the national security expense of becoming energy dependent on others ever again.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 24th, 2020, 5:48 pm
JK37 wrote: October 24th, 2020, 5:46 pm
lynchburgwildcats wrote: October 24th, 2020, 5:01 pm
The future of energy isn’t in oil.
I’m certain you are right.
Oil isn’t going away. Transportation depends on it. Plastics depend on it.
Once windmill blades keep piling up and rare earth mineral mines become more intrusive people will see that maybe there isn’t a panacea there
Being the future doesn’t mean it’s going to be eliminated, but it does mean something other than oil will eventually be the primary source of power for most people and industries.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Both parties are transitioning to eletric. Trump administration is reducing regulations so we can effectively mine lithium and nickle in the united states and he's not shaking down anyone for cash under the table to his family. We are so close to stopping the corrupt relationships in Washington. Need 4 more years.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:43 am Both parties are transitioning to eletric. Trump administration is reducing regulations so we can effectively mine lithium and nickle in the united states and he's not shaking down anyone for cash under the table to his family. We are so close to stopping the corrupt relationships in Washington. Need 4 more years.
He doesn't need to shake anyone down for money under the table when he can force US and foreign government agencies and officials stay at or do business at his hotels and golf courses at the expense of the taxpayers.
By rtb72
lynchburgwildcats wrote: October 26th, 2020, 7:18 pm
TH Spangler wrote: October 26th, 2020, 8:43 am Both parties are transitioning to eletric. Trump administration is reducing regulations so we can effectively mine lithium and nickle in the united states and he's not shaking down anyone for cash under the table to his family. We are so close to stopping the corrupt relationships in Washington. Need 4 more years.
He doesn't need to shake anyone down for money under the table when he can force US and foreign government agencies and officials stay at or do business at his hotels and golf courses at the expense of the taxpayers.

Is this happening? First I heard of this.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rtb72 wrote: October 26th, 2020, 9:44 pm

Consider the source. The Boards self confessed Troll
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 26th, 2020, 11:47 pm You guys really must be siloed in the conservative media machine if you’ve never heard those allegations. This article is pretty comprehensive:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/01/2 ... ncy-100496

He’s been doing it since he was elected.
He's also donated all of his potus paychecks to charity. Greedy old orangemen.

He owns nice resorts, where people want to stay. Biden runs a pay to play scam.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts

Yes, it’s only been reported all over the internet and news for four years now.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: October 27th, 2020, 2:06 am
stokesjokes wrote: October 26th, 2020, 11:47 pm You guys really must be siloed in the conservative media machine if you’ve never heard those allegations. This article is pretty comprehensive:

Yep so nice that many of them are infested with rats, cockroaches, and bed bugs while also employing illegal immigrants.

So nice that numerous kitchens at his properties have badly failed health inspections, which frankly aren’t hard to. I’ve worked in restaurants before, if you just clean every day and properly store food and equipment, like literally every restaurant is supposed to do as standard operating procedure, it should be smooth sailing.
Last edited by lynchburgwildcats on October 27th, 2020, 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 26th, 2020, 10:12 pm

Consider the source. The Boards self confessed Troll
Ah yes, the source who correctly pointed out that turnout for this election would be very high, it will likely be record-setting high and the highest % turnout in over 100 years, only to be flagrantly dismissed by numerous others on this board because people aren’t enthusiastic about Biden and hate doesn’t drive voting. And, if I remember correctly, I pointed it out before early voting had even started. Why don’t you stick to what you do know, which is clearly nothing in this thread?
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: October 27th, 2020, 2:06 am

It’s ridiculous how you try to handwave away any hint of Trump’s corruption or wrong-doing. Even if he’s “your guy,” you should still want to hold him accountable.
By Jonathan Carone
The most disappointing thing about the political right of the last five years is how they’ve stopped holding their leaders to the high standard they used to and instead justify or wave off any legitimate criticism.

The response to this will be about how the left does that same thing and how you have to play in the same game but the right used to have the moral high ground and they’ve willfully given it up.
lynchburgwildcats liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 27th, 2020, 7:38 am The most disappointing thing about the political right of the last five years is how they’ve stopped holding their leaders to the high standard they used to and instead justify or wave off any legitimate criticism.

The response to this will be about how the left does that same thing and how you have to play in the same game but the right used to have the moral high ground and they’ve willfully given it up.
I don’t think that’s entirely accurate. I would substitute “High” with “Impossible”. It has certainly been a readjustment of expectations and I’m ok with that. They are more realistic. In the 80’s I knew people who wouldn’t vote for Reagan because he was divorced and living in sin. Those people would certainly be flipping over in their graves with a twice divorced Trump in office. What I think you are seeing is Reagan’s words sinking in. That I can agree with you 80% of the time and be on your side. Personally I like Trump more than I did 4 years ago. I like about 80% of what he does so it helps me tolerate the the other 20%. And since that other 20% isn’t anything illegal, require me to renounce my faith or have him banging interns while talking to World Leaders, I sleep well at night. What the Right sees is someone who will fight for them. Sure some claim he is some Prophet sent from God, but that’s just as crazy as the other side saying he is literally the False Prophet preparing the way for the Anti Christ.
The last candidate who ran who would have fit the Impossible Standard was Romney. How did that turn out?
The last President we had who fit the impossible standard was Carter? We know how that turned out.
I’d say the Right has more Realistic Standards now
TH Spangler liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yep, still waiting on Al Mohler’s apology to Bill Clinton...

Now, I was encouraged to read John Piper’s recent essay. Say what you want about the severity of some of his positions, but they are always in line with his convictions.
By Jonathan Carone
stokesjokes wrote: October 27th, 2020, 8:26 am Yep, still waiting on Al Mohler’s apology to Bill Clinton...

Now, I was encouraged to read John Piper’s recent essay. Say what you want about the severity of some of his positions, but they are always in line with his convictions.
Piper's essay was really well done.

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]