This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The way Trump often spoke while on TV made it impossible to allow my kids to watch him give speeches. There is no way I would want them to get the idea that the way he spoke about people was somehow an OK thing to do. To me, that has changed with Joe Biden.

Now I disagree with Biden on a lot of things and I disagreed with Trump on a lot of things. I am in a wait and see approach with Biden. Him being president doesn't all of a sudden make everything rosy and great like those on the left would like us to believe but it certainly isn't the end of the world like the right would like us to believe.

I am glad I can allow my kids watch the President speak on TV again and I can start to introduce them more and more to this idea known as the United States of America. I am proud to be an American,

Now I guess at some point a Biden thread will need to be started. Now that he is the President.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 20th, 2021, 3:23 pm The way Trump often spoke while on TV made it impossible to allow my kids to watch him give speeches. There is no way I would want them to get the idea that the way he spoke about people was somehow an OK thing to do. To me, that has changed with Joe Biden.
Now I guess at some point a Biden thread will need to be started. Now that he is the President.
Hopefully Biden won't speak publicly on TV about some of his polices. They are even harder to explain to children. :cry:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/head-o ... human-life
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
He may have prayed and quoted Scripture, but was he truly praying to the God of the Bible? Not judging just curious due to his strong-baby killing stance, strong trans-gender stance, strong pro-homosexual stance. I will be praying for him and VP Kamala that God would melt their heart towards God's holiness. I will praying that God silences their wickedness. I will be praying that God protects them and suppresses their unGodly policies. I will pray most all that God would save them and bring them into a pursuit of holiness.
TH Spangler liked this
By Jonathan Carone
The dude is a devout Catholic who has put his faith at the center of his public persona his entire career. I don't agree with all of his politics, but I'm not going to question his faith. And it's awfully hypocritical of anyone who defended Trump's faith to question Biden's. I'm not saying you're doing that here, but Biden is the first president since Bush that I think legit means it when he talks about faith.
ballah09, ATrain liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Add that Harris is a devout Baptist. She even got sworn in with her family bible. As SJ said to question Biden and Harris faith and not Trumps because of some policies you don't agree with then you're a major hypocrite.
ATrain liked this
By Jonathan Carone
I think what I'm most annoyed about is this political litmus test that says you're only a real Christian if you fall in line with these certain political beliefs. It's obvious throughout the Gospels that the disciples disagreed on politics but agreed on following Jesus.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 21st, 2021, 11:59 am I think what I'm most annoyed about is this political litmus test that says you're only a real Christian if you fall in line with these certain political beliefs. It's obvious throughout the Gospels that the disciples disagreed on politics but agreed on following Jesus.
Was really hoping you and I might be on the same pages this time …..
Gomez added in Wednesday's statement that abortion "is not only a private matter, it raises troubling and fundamental questions of fraternity, solidarity, and inclusion in the human community. It is also a matter of social justice. We cannot ignore the reality that abortion rates are much higher among the poor and minorities, and that the procedure is regularly used to eliminate children who would be born with disabilities."
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I agree abortion is a social justice issue. I want as few abortions to be happening as possible. The politics side of it isn’t as black and white as illegal vs. legal. We can both hate abortions and want them to decrease and still disagree politically. There should be room in the body of Christ for that disagreement.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:08 pm I agree abortion is a social justice issue. I want as few abortions to be happening as possible. The politics side of it isn’t as black and white as illegal vs. legal. We can both hate abortions and want them to decrease and still disagree politically. There should be room in the body of Christ for that disagreement.
:cry:

Biden Administration Prepares To Overturn Trump Abortion Rule

https://www.npr.org/sections/president- ... rtion-rule
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 21st, 2021, 1:08 pm I agree abortion is a social justice issue. I want as few abortions to be happening as possible. The politics side of it isn’t as black and white as illegal vs. legal. We can both hate abortions and want them to decrease and still disagree politically. There should be room in the body of Christ for that disagreement.
There should be room in the body of Christ for purposefully ending the life of an innocent human? I mean I get that the death penalty is administered to someone who made a conscious choice to commit a crime so heinous to earn that penalty. And I can understand those who think that it’s not Man’s decision to end another Man’s life. I agree. There should be room in the Body of Christ for that debate. But to end the life of an innocent and defenseless child? For convenience? No. There should not be room for that in the Body of Christ
TH Spangler, LU 57, Chippy liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I mean, it’s right there in the article:

“An analysis published in 2019 in the medical journal The Lancet found that the Mexico City Policy increased the abortion rate in at least some affected countries, likely because it also reduced access to contraception.“

Very much not black and white.

On one side you have those who view the solution being legal in nature, which in practice has meant an all-or-nothing approach. Fighting for Roe to be overturned does very little to reduce abortions right now until it actually is overturned, but would make a substantial difference if it is.

The other side views the solution as social in nature, which is a more incremental approach. Provide social assistance, medical care, contraception, and education, and you can reduce the number of abortions right now, but you’d never get to the total elimination that the legal side is trying to get to.

(Of course there’s the 3rd radical side who wants abortion on-demand for any reason, but a recent Notre Dame study showed that this is a very small portion of people)

I think both of the above can be God-honoring approaches to the subject.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 21st, 2021, 2:25 pm
There should be room in the body of Christ for purposefully ending the life of an innocent human? I mean I get that the death penalty is administered to someone who made a conscious choice to commit a crime so heinous to earn that penalty. And I can understand those who think that it’s not Man’s decision to end another Man’s life. I agree. There should be room in the Body of Christ for that debate. But to end the life of an innocent and defenseless child? For convenience? No. There should not be room for that in the Body of Christ
I think you’re missing my point. I’m not arguing that christians should want abortion. I’m saying you can disagree on the best way to address the problem of abortion.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
It amazing how quickly they start using my tax money to abort babies.

So much for repatriating manufacturing.

"President Joe Biden’s administration got down to work immediately on Wednesday, and one of its first orders of business was to put a halt to the Keystone XL Pipeline project to the dismay of U.S. manufacturers."

https://www.foxbusiness.com/economy/key ... rs-unhappy

Canada is speechless.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 21st, 2021, 3:22 pm How quick? The federal government never stopped. We've been over this ad nauseam.
Mexico agreement? He was moving us in the right direction. It will take more than one man to get across the finish line.

God please forgive us. 🙏
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
The issue of abortion, gender, sexuality may be in the political arena but they are firstly Biblical issues. I do find it interesting that both Harris a self-proclaimed Baptist(un-Biblical and historical Baptist at that) and Biden a self-proclaimed devout Catholic(who was not given communion by multiple catholic priests due to his un-Catholic policies) are being paraded by some evangelicals as heroes or at the least as potentially followers of Christ. Neither one of them from their own speeches and policies that they have voted for or are willing to present and fight for show anything remote to Biblical Christianity.

Scripture is clear about they will know that we are Christian by our fruit. I am praying sincerely for the President and Vice President for things like their health and wisdom. But I will not sit here and defend their faith that some say is genuine. You can have a muslim, jew, catholic or Un-biblical Baptist that are genuine in their faith and yet they are still against the God of the Bible.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I may have not communicated clearly. I understand the reasoning behind protecting people of different religions, sexuality and genders as we should protect. But there is more than protection going on in our country. There is promotion of the lifestyle and both our President and Vice President support it as well the other things I mentioned in my post above. I do not and will not support the protection of marriage in an LGBTQ relationship as the Bible defines marriage according to God's order. For the record, I am not saying you are either. I was just using it as an example.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Ehhhhh, the marriage issue is also messy. My church should have the right to refuse to marry a gay couple, but that’s a long way off from saying the government should also be able to refuse. As long as marriage is a governmental institution, the government shouldn’t be able to refuse marriage on what are ultimately religious grounds. Lots of other religions and cultures practice marriage, so if they decide that gay marriage is okay in their context, what authority do I have to deny them? Government-recognized marriage is outside of our jurisdiction, so to speak.
Jonathan Carone, ATrain liked this
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I understand your point and it is well written. But the fact remains that marriage is not a governmental institution, it is a a covenantal institution created by God. Therefore, as a Christian this is how we should not only preach marriage and teach marriage but also how we should vote. Why be okay with something when God is not?
Chippy, TH Spangler liked this
By Jonathan Carone
As long as things like healthcare, property laws, and tax benefits are tied to marriage, there has to be equal opportunity.

I actually don’t view governmental marriage as the same as religious marriage. It’s different standing before a government official and taking a vow to each other than it is to stand in front of a pastor and take a vow to each other and to God.
Purple Haize liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 21st, 2021, 5:35 pm As long as things like healthcare, property laws, and tax benefits are tied to marriage, there has to be equal opportunity.

I actually don’t view governmental marriage as the same as religious marriage. It’s different standing before a government official and taking a vow to each other than it is to stand in front of a pastor and take a vow to each other and to God.
Civil unions and Biblical marriages are two different things.

But Abortion is Abortion. :cry:
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]