This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 19th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Purple Haize wrote: October 19th, 2020, 12:40 pm Biden has put a “lid” on his campaign until Friday. He took Sat or Sunday off as well with one event on the other day. Objectively this has to be concerning. Is this a preview of how Biden will handle his Presidency? In the fast paced ever changing environment of being POTUS do we really want a guy who has to take long stretches of time off? He can’t even keep up a 1 event a day pace That’s scary.
The other side of the same coin:

Biden's base is not showing up to rallies or campaign stops because they're the ones most likely to be avoiding crowds and engaging in social distancing. Because of that, what's the point in doing them? It'll be used as "look, no one is excited to vote for Sleep Joe! His numbers are so low!"

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle of those two perspectives.

That said, Cookout would be dumb if they didn't add a special Black and White shake to their menu for the next month.
That’s nice spin for the Biden campaign sure. But he could still tour businesses and give speeches at groups that support him. He could be out doing SOMETHING. Instead he’s locked in his basement. There is no middle here. It’s objectively concerning that Biden can’t be out and about for a day without taking a couple of days to rest.

Thankfully Trump didn’t say “Black and White” shake or he’d be answering questions about his racist approach to ice cream :roll:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
chris leedlelee wrote: October 19th, 2020, 1:03 pm
Purple Haize wrote: October 19th, 2020, 12:40 pm Biden has put a “lid” on his campaign until Friday. He took Sat or Sunday off as well with one event on the other day. Objectively this has to be concerning. Is this a preview of how Biden will handle his Presidency? In the fast paced ever changing environment of being POTUS do we really want a guy who has to take long stretches of time off? He can’t even keep up a 1 event a day pace That’s scary.
Pelosi's press conference about the 25th Amendment wasn't for Trump, it was for Joe Biden. Joe maybe lasts a year or two before Kamala takes the helm, with or without the consent of Joe Biden.
He won’t make it a year
chris leedlelee liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: October 19th, 2020, 3:46 pm Kamala will lock him up for crimes. She'll lock anyone up if it advances her.
She’s proven she will do anything or anyone to advance her career
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: October 19th, 2020, 4:07 pm
TH Spangler wrote: October 19th, 2020, 3:46 pm Kamala will lock him up for crimes. She'll lock anyone up if it advances her.
Are you implying she slept her way to her position or was that simply bad phrasing?
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 19th, 2020, 12:36 pm Remember too that FoxNews was bought by left-wing liberal Disney a year or so back. It doesn't surprise me that this is being said.
Fox News is NOT owned by Disney.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 19th, 2020, 5:03 pm
Purple Haize wrote: October 19th, 2020, 4:07 pm
Are you implying she slept her way to her position or was that simply bad phrasing?
She slept her way to some of her early jobs. (I can’t say position :) :shock:
She got this one based primarily on gender and skin color.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote: October 19th, 2020, 6:52 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 19th, 2020, 12:36 pm Remember too that FoxNews was bought by left-wing liberal Disney a year or so back. It doesn't surprise me that this is being said.
Fox News is NOT owned by Disney.
They own 20th Century Fox it I didn’t think they owned NewsCorp
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
So we're faced with two outcomes. Biden will win. Trump will win. That's it. Literally the only two. I think it's hilarious how people can't accept either outcome. Thinking only one option could happen is ignorance and second grade thinking. Where's the objectivity and rationale? Isn't it possible either Biden or Trump could loose...legitimately (without parroting an echo chamber's talking points) because they just sucked and did a bad job? Reason would agree. I'd love to know people's thoughts on how right/wrong they think the polls are (rcp, 538, etc) and where they think this will land. Either way, I'm looking forward to Nov 3. It's gonna be a fun night, no matter the outcome.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Considering a sizable group of Democrats and some Republicans have never accepted the outcome of 2016 it’s a legit concern
I too am looking forward to election night. Probably take the next day of. I can see it being close with PA being the deciding State. Trump having “won” the State but having to wait 3 days for the mail in ballots to arrive to show Biden “won” the State.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I trust 538, they are the most objectively data-driven. They aren’t trying to endorse one side or the other, their point of pride is getting it right. Obviously I don’t know Nate Silver personally, but I do know that it was very important to him to re-tool his methods following the Trump win in 2016. And, in 538’s defense, they were not that high on a Hilary win in 2016. I believe they gave Trump a 30-something percent chance to win, obviously not favored, but not out of the question either. Currently they have Trump at a 12% chance, considerably lower than 2016.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
*i just checked, on November 6th, 2016, they gave Trump a 35% chance, and on November 8th it was down to 28%.

Their forecasting is also based on state polls, so it gives an more accurate picture of how the electoral votes go, not national polling, which, ultimately, means very little.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Everyone seems to tout Nate Silver. Not sure why. The Trump Presidency has certainly turned polling and modeling on its ear be it COVID or Elections.
I want Trump to win but think Biden will be President. (For a couple of weeks). What is much different this year than last year are 2- fold. The first being the obvious turn out to his rallies. He’s always drawn a crowd but this is a lot more organic. Standing 5 deep to just watch the Presidential Suburban to go by? Biden speaking to an empty parking lot? I don’t know how Enthusiasm factors in to Polling but Trump has it in spades. Secondly, Trump has a ground game this time around and Biden does not. In 2016 one of the complaints of Team Trump was they had no ground game and HRC had a well oiled machine. Take a look at new voter registration in swing States. It’s a head scratcher
LUminary liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I like Nate Silver because it’s just data-it’s not intuition or feelings, it’s not impressions from campaigns or debates, it’s just aggregating data and forecasting based on the data. To me, that makes his forecasts objective and reliable.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 20th, 2020, 11:37 am I like Nate Silver because it’s just data-it’s not intuition or feelings, it’s not impressions from campaigns or debates, it’s just aggregating data and forecasting based on the data. To me, that makes his forecasts objective and reliable.
Yeah it makes it objective....if you have all the data you can quantify. I haven’t dug into the polls this year to break down the demos etc. but last cycle that was an issue. You data outcomes are only as good as the data you put in. And as I said there are 2 items that I see I’m not sure how you quantify
stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
You’re right, and that’s why I value Nate’s work above other work, but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be 100% accurate.

Now his data is strictly on polling, the pieces of data you mention aren’t really relevant to that. I know there have been updates to how they do the polling and the models they use to interpret the polling, but we won’t know if they’ve corrected the issues from the last cycle until the election is over.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Seems like a big nothing-burger to me. She was tough, but not unreasonable. He responded as you would expect him to, and he left after his portion was over, but before the dual interview. A lot of expected exaggeration in reactions to this from both sides, but I don’t see much.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
The whole 60 minutes thing is nothing more than Kabuki theatre.

Trump wants to look like he’s standing up to the left-wing media.

The media want to keep being left-wing hacks.

So predictable.
thepostman liked this
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Nearly 50 million people have already voted. Current projections have it potentially being the biggest rate of turnover in more than a century.

Thought y'all were telling me I was wrong to say it was going to be a high turnout election? lol
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: October 22nd, 2020, 1:32 pm Trump takes the 60 minutes interview uncut straight to the people.

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/breaki ... interview/
All I gleaned from this is he and the Republicans still has no healthcare plan after 10 years of saying they would have a better plan to replace Obamacare, he is scared of tough questions, and is a quitter.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm […]

Long snapper from Elon/UCLA with one year of eligi[…]

A Liberty-Longhorns matchup would be incredible. I[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]