This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Say what you will about Trump. The guy delivers. He knows who voted for him and that's what he ultimately represents. That's what democracy is supposed to be. We elect them to represent us, regardless of personality and flaws.
TH Spangler, prototype liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
My biggest question is why she wasn't trumps first nominee over gorsuch and Kavanaugh. She is easily the most impressive of the 3. I cant imagine having to sit there and listen to the mindless attacks and rambling when your smarter than 99 percent of the room.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
They seem to have done it the right way--appoint her to the lower courts--and bring her up from there. If anything, she was accelerated. Probably more of a second term option, and then the opportunity suddenly became available. All three judges seem pretty solid to me though.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: October 14th, 2020, 8:40 am My biggest question is why she wasn't trumps first nominee over gorsuch and Kavanaugh. She is easily the most impressive of the 3. I cant imagine having to sit there and listen to the mindless attacks and rambling when your smarter than 99 percent of the room.
She’s been a Federal Judge for 3 years. That’s a good amount of time. It takes “Lack of Experience” off the table. Elena Kegan got on with no experience as a Judge but I seriously doubt a Trump nominee would be give that similar latitude.
I do agree she is by far the most impressive of the 3. Probably the most impressive of the 9. She doesn’t come across as condescending or angry. She always seems to try to be instructing the questioner It’s kinda amazing
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I ran off into rhe woods of PA for a few days with the family and cut off all social media/news reading. It does wonders for one's mental health. I might do it more often.

With that said, from what I've read it seems like this is going exactly how I have expected it to go. She seems really solid.
SumItUp liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 14th, 2020, 10:43 am
jinxy wrote: October 14th, 2020, 8:40 am My biggest question is why she wasn't trumps first nominee over gorsuch and Kavanaugh. She is easily the most impressive of the 3. I cant imagine having to sit there and listen to the mindless attacks and rambling when your smarter than 99 percent of the room.
She’s been a Federal Judge for 3 years. That’s a good amount of time. It takes “Lack of Experience” off the table. Elena Kegan got on with no experience as a Judge but I seriously doubt a Trump nominee would be give that similar latitude.
I do agree she is by far the most impressive of the 3. Probably the most impressive of the 9. She doesn’t come across as condescending or angry. She always seems to try to be instructing the questioner It’s kinda amazing

I'm pretty sure she's married, but you may want to look into that.

thepostman liked this
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
So when are we getting some posts/threads going about the over/under on who wins and by how many electors, kind of like how we do for sporting events? Say what you will, be every time a presidential election comes up I'm excited. History in the making no matter how you slice it. Winner gets... an imaginary gift card.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Trump wins by similar margin as 4 years ago.

Why? I don't know. Every matrix available says otherwise but I've said Trump would win despite poor polling and I'm sticking to it.

I did cast my vote for someone and sent it by mail 😮. I have a feeling it would probably surprise some people.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 14th, 2020, 7:39 pm Trump wins by similar margin as 4 years ago.

Why? I don't know. Every matrix available says otherwise but I've said Trump would win despite poor polling and I'm sticking to it.

I did cast my vote for someone and sent it by mail 😮. I have a feeling it would probably surprise some people.
I have little faith in the current election cycle. I can absolutely see Trump “winning” on election night but “losing” with mail in etc votes.
I have less faith than I did in the average American voter. By objective Peace and Prosperity measures Trump should win in a landslide. But people are more concerned about his mean Tweets.
Normally you win elections by being FOR something more than AGAINST your opponent. This year appears different
I don’t see Trump winning and it baffles me simply because no one can explain why the other person should win....other than they aren’t Trump.
HOWEVER, I did read this the other day and it cruelly raised my hopes. Nolte has been saying Trump will lose for awhile. Then he drops this bombshell. And follows it up with a couple of more articles. Plus I saw today that Trump is closer in PA now than same time in 16. So there might be some hope

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020 ... ps-losing/
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
What you laid out is the worse possible scenario.

I care more about the outcome being definitive one way or the other than I do about who wins. The two aren't THAT much different.

Plus, I don't want to deal with this election any longer than I have to.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 14th, 2020, 8:30 pm What you laid out is the worse possible scenario.

I care more about the outcome being definitive one way or the other than I do about who wins. The two aren't THAT much different.

Plus, I don't want to deal with this election any longer than I have to.
The thing about the article I agree with is you can’t make up these crowds. They are big. Bidens literally gave a speech to an empty parking lot. In a swing State. That’s hard to put you arms around.
Also, I think it was him, who said Trump voters will walk across an alligator infested swamp while being sprayed with Covid to vote for him. Bidens voters want a couple of extra days to get their errands done first. It’s just a really difficult dynamic to look at and the see Biden winning hugely.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
And yet...the polling. How does one explain the considerable lead that Biden has now in polls? I can’t make sense of it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Clinton had a 10 point lead but it is hard to believe polling to be so bad 2 elections in a row. With that said, I still don't buy that Trump is losing by 10 among actual voters.
By Jonathan Carone
I think there are people on both sides who are unwilling to admit who they are voting for because of the attacks they'd receive from the other side if people knew about it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 15th, 2020, 9:08 am I think there are people on both sides who are unwilling to admit who they are voting for because of the attacks they'd receive from the other side if people knew about it.
Wearing a Red MAGA hat is an act of courage right about now. Unless you are in a group. Even then...
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Same has been said about wearing anything that says black lives matter.

Though courage isn't the word I would use for either of those actions.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
There are a lot of people that can't stand Trump's personality but know a vote for Harris (Biden is out in 6 months) would be very, very bad for our country. I respect that sentiment. Maybe 4 years from now we won't need a wrecking ball any longer.

We have to keep foreign lobbyist's cash out of our officials pockets. Especially if its coming from a communist government or from a multinational that's getting rich off communist labor. We have to continue bringing manufacturing back. When we address imagration, how it affects American workers has to be the first consideration. I'm all for legal immigration.
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: October 15th, 2020, 9:33 am
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 15th, 2020, 9:08 am I think there are people on both sides who are unwilling to admit who they are voting for because of the attacks they'd receive from the other side if people knew about it.
Wearing a Red MAGA hat is an act of courage right about now. Unless you are in a group. Even then...
In my town it gets you cheered on and you're a hero.
thepostman liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Did any of you guys listen to the Eric Metaxas v. David French debate? I thought it was really good.

One of the points French made was that if you want the Republican Party to nominate someone “better” than Trump, you have to be willing to lose an election. If you vote for him and he wins, there’s no accountability for him as a candidate, and someone with the same temperament and failings could just as easily be endorsed in the next go-around. If you nominate Trump and he loses, the party has to re-think who they are willing to put forward.

Spangler, your post made me think of that.
thepostman liked this
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:My understanding was they wanted her for Kavenaugh’s spot but didn’t think she was experienced enough as a judge.
there are also people that have said he was saving her for ginsburg's spot.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:And yet...the polling. How does one explain the considerable lead that Biden has now in polls? I can’t make sense of it.
i think there is clear evidence that people are holding this very close to the vest this year especially trump voters . i also believe that voter enthusiasm on the democratic side is even lower than it was for Hillary. the "get out and vote" campaigns i'm seeing on tv and everywhere is greater than i've ever seen it before. why? because they know that people are not interested in voting more so than ever before...on the left.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: October 15th, 2020, 10:49 am Did any of you guys listen to the Eric Metaxas v. David French debate? I thought it was really good.

One of the points French made was that if you want the Republican Party to nominate someone “better” than Trump, you have to be willing to lose an election. If you vote for him and he wins, there’s no accountability for him as a candidate, and someone with the same temperament and failings could just as easily be endorsed in the next go-around. If you nominate Trump and he loses, the party has to re-think who they are willing to put forward.

Spangler, your post made me think of that.
That was tried and has failed. Take a look at Mitt Romney. A complete 180 of Trump. Or McCain. Or countless other Republican politicians who have unilaterally disarmed.
If you are in a contest you play by the rules the other side does. I didn’t like the fact W never fought back against his critics. I LIKE the fact that Trump does. It’s a shotgun approach for sure but I’ll take what I can get.
If we were talking about process or procedures as opposed to Personality than I might agree with you (it’s why I’m up in the air on the VA5). The “Lose to Win” mentality has never turned out well
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]