This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: July 20th, 2020, 11:02 pm
TH Spangler wrote: July 18th, 2020, 4:01 pm There's one thing I hope Trump gets across to voters before November. That he's in favor of legal immigration, but not illegal. Black Lives Matter to Trump, but not to the Chamber Of Commerce. One of Trump's biggest accomplishments was nearly stopping the flow of cheap, underpaid illegal immigrants. He stood up to the powerful Chamber Of Commerce for the good of minority citizens. Unemployment was at an all time low and wages were starting to climb before China blindsided us with the plague. Wages need to climb slowly to avoid over inflation, but thanks to his policies they were headed in the right direction. I don't know if I am more disappointed in Trump's inability to message to minorities or them being so fooled by a party that doesn't have their best interest, to see what he's doing.
Yep so in favor of legal immigration he has repeatedly tried to eliminate DACA, repeatedly made it drastically more difficult to legally immigrate to the USA, repeatedly cut the number of people that will be accepted to the US for legal immigration, has repeatedly had veterans of our armed forces that were here legally deported, and has repeatedly insulted all immigrants as a whole (unless their white and Christian then it’s all good) all the while employing illegal immigrants at his own properties.
He has repeatedly tried to eliminate DACA so that legislature has to pass effective immigration laws that include DACA. Obama executive order just screwed things up. He Trump even offered to expand DACA in exchange for a secure boarder.

Chamber of Commerce loves illegal labor, to put downward preasure on wages. Demacrates see them as potential new voters. This hurts US citizens looking for a job with a living wage. And new Enterprise Zones are located in areas that help black Americans.
By Jonathan Carone
That ain’t a good look. This was his chance to step into the same exact ring Trump was in and show people why he’s the better option instead of relying on anti-Trump votes.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 26th, 2020, 7:15 pm That ain’t a good look. This was his chance to step into the same exact ring Trump was in and show people why he’s the better option instead of relying on anti-Trump votes.
There are better options than Trump out there. None of them are running for the 2020 Election
TH Spangler liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 26th, 2020, 7:15 pm That ain’t a good look. This was his chance to step into the same exact ring Trump was in and show people why he’s the better option instead of relying on anti-Trump votes.
No, it's not. It basically confirms what Trump said about him in the interview and how little confidence he, and especially his handlers, have in his ability to handle it. Would he be on the floor "calling for his mommy?" No, probably more like getting testy at any question he didn't like, giving less and less coherent answers as the interview progressed, and likely cutting it short. As bad a look as it is to decline the offer, that would be worse.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure what is worse, this year or 4 years ago but both of the major parties need to do some soul searching if this is what they come up with as the best of the best.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 30th, 2020, 12:17 pm I'm not sure what is worse, this year or 4 years ago but both of the major parties need to do some soul searching if this is what they come up with as the best of the best.
I will say this, the Republicans had a vast array of candidates from across the spectrum last time that ducked it out for a good while. Trump was NO ONE’s first choice (hows that for you rank voter folks :D ) but pulled it out. This year the Dems all folded like a cheap suit for.....Biden. There was the brief flirtation with the False Messiah Bloomberg but that’s guy was toast before he started. I’m of the opinion the Democrats best strategy is to keep Biden out of the Public eye as much as possible. Let Trump run against Trump and keep his head down. Otherwise it’s going to be a stream rolling victory for Trump
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: July 30th, 2020, 12:27 pm Trump was NO ONE’s first choice (hows that for you rank voter folks :D ) but pulled it out.
Ranked choice in the 2016 republican primaries would've been a fascinating experiment. I'd bet most Cruz and Rubio voters would've listed Trump third. Instead of him winning primaries with less than 50% of the votes, I would almost bet one of those two would've won if they were the second choices for Trump voters.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't see anybody stream rolling anybody unless the 20 to 25% of undecided voters all go to one candidate over the other.

I have said it all along that Trump is going to win and I still think that but it'll be far more challenging than I was originally thinking it would be.

Polling does show a much larger margin than 4 years ago so it'll be very interesting to see if all play out. I just want it over with.

I still don't feel good about anybody running in any party, both major parties and the third party candidates running. So who knows who I will vote for. I probably won't decide until right before I put my ballot in the mailbox. I'm wondering if that is common this year.
By Jonathan Carone
thepostman wrote: July 30th, 2020, 12:39 pm I still don't feel good about anybody running in any party, both major parties and the third party candidates running. So who knows who I will vote for. I probably won't decide until right before I put my ballot in the mailbox. I'm wondering if that is common this year.
The question I'm wrestling with is which is more dangerous:

Four more years of Trump then a full primary in 2024 that could hopefully bring the right back in from the extreme but would push the left even further left in those four years

or

A ticked off and conspiracy driven wing of the Republican Party who will say this wasn't a fair election and will then become interventionists for the next four years and go further right

I don't know the answer to that question currently.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 30th, 2020, 12:39 pm I don't see anybody stream rolling anybody unless the 20 to 25% of undecided voters all go to one candidate over the other.

I have said it all along that Trump is going to win and I still think that but it'll be far more challenging than I was originally thinking it would be.

Polling does show a much larger margin than 4 years ago so it'll be very interesting to see if all play out. I just want it over with.

I still don't feel good about anybody running in any party, both major parties and the third party candidates running. So who knows who I will vote for. I probably won't decide until right before I put my ballot in the mailbox. I'm wondering if that is common this year.
Polling is actually tightening up. Dukakis was 18 points ahead of Bush the Senior at this point. Pre Rona I was confident of a Trump victory. Now I’m not so sure. The more that comes out from the 2016 shenanigans of the Obama Administration (which I previously chalked up as crazy talk) the more concerned I become.
Biden won’t be making the decisions if he wins. He has no policy or agenda. He is the prototype of a puppet politician. So then the question becomes who is pulling his strings. Hearing Susan Rice floated as a VP makes my blood run cold. We’ve been down that road and I want 0
Part of it
By Jonathan Carone
It's been leaked out the last couple days that VP might seriously be Kamala. She went after Biden on race issues harder than anyone in the primaries. Seems awfully strange to pick her as the VP except to try and secure the black and brown vote.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 30th, 2020, 2:28 pm It's been leaked out the last couple days that VP might seriously be Kamala. She went after Biden on race issues harder than anyone in the primaries. Seems awfully strange to pick her as the VP except to try and secure the black and brown vote.
I’ve been on record I thought that is who he would pick. I saw Rice’s name floated a lot the last month which is pretty concerning to me.
By Jonathan Carone
I remember Rice being floated.

Politico may have accidentally leaked the Kamala piece. They published an article on July 28 saying Biden announced her on August 1. There were also pictures that showed Biden with Kamala's name on a note card with five talking points under it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 30th, 2020, 3:31 pm I remember Rice being floated.

Politico may have accidentally leaked the Kamala piece. They published an article on July 28 saying Biden announced her on August 1. There were also pictures that showed Biden with Kamala's name on a note card with five talking points under it.
Yeah I saw those. If it does turn out to be Kamala it will be such a Biden Gaff Factory thing!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: July 30th, 2020, 4:42 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 30th, 2020, 3:37 pm If it does turn out to be Kamala it will be such a Biden Gaff Factory thing!
A Gaff that the cards got shown? Or did you mean something else?
Just par for the course
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Typically, it is in the best interest of the incumbent to limit the number of debates, and in the best interest of the other party to try to maximize the number of them. That is certainly not true this year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 30th, 2020, 4:57 pm
alabama24 wrote: July 30th, 2020, 4:42 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 30th, 2020, 3:37 pm If it does turn out to be Kamala it will be such a Biden Gaff Factory thing!
A Gaff that the cards got shown? Or did you mean something else?
Just par for the course
Since this came out I have been hearing that a ton of dems have been putting pressure on Biden to look elsewhere. Harris is not well liked in the black community, and she was, quite frankly, an awful candidate when she was running in the primaries. Ironically, her "shining moment" was an attack on Biden.
By Jonathan Carone
Steven Calabresi - cofounder of the Federalist Society - is calling for Trump’s impeachment.

I have voted Republican in every presidential election since 1980, including voting for Donald Trump in 2016. I wrote op-eds and a law review article protesting what I believe was an unconstitutional investigation by Robert Mueller. I also wrote an op-ed opposing President Trump’s impeachment.

But I am frankly appalled by the president’s recent tweet seeking to postpone the November election. Until recently, I had taken as political hyperbole the Democrats’ assertion that President Trump is a fascist. But this latest tweet is fascistic and is itself grounds for the president’s immediate impeachment again by the House of Representatives and his removal from office by the Senate.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/opin ... virus.html
lynchburgwildcats liked this
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]