This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Would you support selling alcohol at Liberty sporting events?

Yes
14%
No
86%
By Ewglenn
So I’ve seen this a lot around the country and wondered y’all’s take on it. Would you support selling alcohol at the sporting events? Why and why not?
By cruzan_flame13
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 10th, 2020, 3:33 pm No. I have no problem with drinking but Liberty is a dry campus and it would offend more than it’s worth.
Thinking about the backlash we'll have from the groups who accuse of being phobic with everyone and everything, us being a diploma mill and a cult teaching "psuedo___(insert subject here). Dry campus is what we need to be compared to the bigger challenges wet campuses have to deal with.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote: March 10th, 2020, 3:08 pm So I’ve seen this a lot around the country and wondered y’all’s take on it. Would you support selling alcohol at the sporting events? Why and why not?
That would be one of the problems partnering with the City for a Civic Center type deal. Alcohol sales are a huge money maker. Be tough to have that in non LU events and dry on LU events.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I'm probably the outlier on this one. Its just a non-issue for me... I normally have a beer or 3 while at or watching a game, family almost always has wine at dinner, etc. Around here, its just daily life.

so if its there I'm happy to have it (or bring it) but not a deterring factor if its not. For many reasons, its a different story down south and esp at LU.

And thats ok. but as to the OP sure I'd support it.
Ewglenn liked this
By Ewglenn
Personally I’m for it. I think it’s already known that it’s on campus. I also don’t see anything wrong with it from a biblical standpoint as long as it isn’t being over done. I’d like to see a 3 drink limit on it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote: March 10th, 2020, 4:14 pm I'm probably the outlier on this one. Its just a non-issue for me... I normally have a beer or 3 while at or watching a game, family almost always has wine at dinner, etc. Around here, its just daily life.

so if its there I'm happy to have it (or bring it) but not a deterring factor if its not. For many reasons, its a different story down south and esp at LU.

And thats ok. but as to the OP sure I'd support it.
You can’t even reach the counter to get the beer so.....
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
My .02 is that it would be a deal-breaker for me. The last straw. It is bad enough the Chancellor of the world's largest christian university drinks around town.
IMHO, it is his business what he does in private.
I am no prude, believe me, but allowing alcohol on campus is a horrible idea. Sometimes, we deserve to be held to a higher standard than the rest of the world. If not, maybe we should just become a satellite campus for Baylor, SMU, TCU, Wake Forest, etc. Christian in name only.
I am praying for a spiritual renewal for the senior leadership at LU. Sr. would be spinning in his grave. I love LU and want to see it remain a distinctive Christian university. Not sure it is still on or around that path.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am not against drinking. I am not a huge drinker but don't see anywhere in scripture that says it is wrong other then drunkenness. With that said, as a Christian institution we probably should avoid making available a substance that many either struggle with or it would cause division. It is just not a battle worth fighting.

My 2 cents.
flameshaw, LU 57 liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
As long as they amend the Liberty Way to allow students 21 and older to drink, sure. I tend to have a glass of wine with dinner, so personally I have no issues with it.
By LUDad
thepostman wrote: March 10th, 2020, 7:26 pm I am not against drinking. I am not a huge drinker but don't see anywhere in scripture that says it is wrong other then drunkenness. With that said, as a Christian institution we probably should avoid making available a substance that many either struggle with or it would cause division. It is just not a battle worth fighting.

My 2 cents.
I believe you are on the right track. Paul gave up freedoms so as to not to make a weaker brother stumble.
flameshaw, thepostman liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 7:38 pm Alcohol should not be allowed on campus. Our standards are higher than most colleges, and should remain higher.
I'm with Ballcoach on this one.

I was even surprised that when I bought my $150 Cure Bowl ticket that came with a buffet meal that there was even an open bar there in the big skybox area.
By LU 57
Cider Jim wrote: March 10th, 2020, 11:41 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 7:38 pm Alcohol should not be allowed on campus. Our standards are higher than most colleges, and should remain higher.
I'm with Ballcoach on this one.

I was even surprised that when I bought my $150 Cure Bowl ticket that came with a buffet meal that there was even an open bar there in the big skybox area.
I feel different about that one. In other words, I am okay with alcohol during an LU game at a neutral site, like the Cure bowl, but I would not support alcohol sales on campus. Even though I do not have a problem with reasonable consumption in general.
thepostman liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: March 11th, 2020, 9:46 am If they did, it would be my last LU event. Other colleges will regret doing it down the road.
Other colleges have been doing it for awhile. The world has not ended. But I’m firmly in the NO camp for LU. It’s a symbolic stand but a stand nonetheless
By Jonathan Carone
Other colleges did it because they needed to increase revenue and draw more people to the stadium.

We don't have the revenue issue, and our draw is the family environment. Not that I think alcohol would kill the family environment, but it'd certainly change the feeling.

If you want to drink in the parking lot and can do it respectfully - by all means, do you boo boo - but we don't need to be selling it.
LU 57 liked this
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
my vote is no and here is why. We regularly used to attend UofIL, UofIa, and a few other universities around the midwest. these environments used to be great to take the kids to, great to be around. when they started selling alcohol it has changed the atmosphere for us. Drunken idiots overwhere, kids getting beer spilled on them. its pretty much ridiculous. our attendance has declined dramatically.

I don't care about drinking a whole lot. I like the taste of beer but historically have been able to somehow not drink it 360 days out of the year without feeling like i'm missing out on anything (my wifes family has a deep history of alcoholism and 2 of her cousins have died due to drunk driving).

For me its about the experience of going to these games. alcohol changes everything because most people are cretins.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I'm not a teetotaler, I think it's find for pro sports. Not crazy about it at ncaa events, but definitely don't want to mess up our awesome gameday.
By Ewglenn
So I have another question. How would y’all feel if they lifted the “ban” on tailgate drinking? So it’s allowed outside the stadium but not inside. I’m really fine either way but I figured it would make for a good conversation.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote: March 11th, 2020, 6:52 pm So I have another question. How would y’all feel if they lifted the “ban” on tailgate drinking? So it’s allowed outside the stadium but not inside. I’m really fine either way but I figured it would make for a good conversation.
They should treat it like a UFO sighting. They might think they see something but they don’t want to look hard to see if they really see something.
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?!

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: