This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

stokesjokes wrote: January 13th, 2021, 5:15 pm I tried to look for a baseline comparison and found this:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/flu.htm

In a normal year, it’s about 60,000 flu/pneumonia deaths in the whole year.

What you’re saying is that we’ve had 30,000 more than that in 3 months. Chilling.

We are also well on track to hit the predicted 500,000 COVID deaths by the end of February.
If we average 4K daily deaths until then, which is where we are this week, the number is closer to 600,000. If those numbers hold through March, we’ve got 700,000 deaths in the calendar year since this thing hit. I pray it’s over soon.
Unfortunately that means nothing since the inventor of the PCR test (which is use to detect covid results) , Kary B. Mullis, stated that the test does not detect any virus but only fragments of RNA/DNA. By the way, most people never even heard of this test or it was not really used or discussed around the medical field until last year. Also will add, as mentioned before, that this virus has never been isolated, purified, characterized or even proven to cause any disease.
I mean, we can go back to the excess death stats again. We have an excess of deaths in the country that lines up quite neatly with the reported COVID deaths. It would be an awfully strange coincidence for something else to be causing all of those.
It is kind of crazy there is still such heated debate over this. Some areas are doing better than others obviously but I mean, a lot of hospitals are extremely overwhelmed and becoming more understaffed. It isn't great.

But everything is a debate at this point so such is life I guess.
stokesjokes wrote: January 14th, 2021, 1:55 pm I mean, we can go back to the excess death stats again. We have an excess of deaths in the country that lines up quite neatly with the reported COVID deaths. It would be an awfully strange coincidence for something else to be causing all of those.
Stats are just stats. You don't know if they have been accurate from the start especially when stats have been manipulative from October 2019 till now in states as well. I'll even add that the idea of a virus have been manipulated also. Viruses are not living organisms and have been genetically placed in our bodies since from birth and react based on internal or external We consume viruses from food, the air we breathe, change of weather radiation(external factors). The fact that we are exposed to trillions of micro-organism on our body is proof that exposure to organisms is not sufficient to make us sick. Wouldn't trust any of these administrators who have been flip flopping while bringing forth political theater at the same time(making people think that they don't have viruses/bacteria already in their bodies and could only get it from someone else who's sick). We've always passed organisms to each other (a mask will not stop this). All I know is most of the average citizens have been in turmoil while politicians, bankers and key corporate kingpins have been getting more money (or like they like to say in the media, bailouts)and living life as they make ours abnormal and fearful. One thing that is true, whether a person believe it or not, is that our lives will never go back to normal like they tell us. They've pushed for this vaccine, but yet people will still need to wear a mask anyways. You would think that the vaccine will make people mlre likely "immune" as they claim. Never thought it was logical to keep people indoors when it was always known to quarantine the sick and not those who are well. So what does that say of what they think of us? Now the authority can now say who is sick and who is not. They're doctors nationwide and internationally who have mentioned these contradictions but have been publically shamed and/or stripped their certification because they do not side with the narrative. Society is not aiming for facts any more but a "to each their own" type of psuedo-science(new religion beside the ideal of statism). The future sure looks bright smh.
You have to have some level of institutional trust to believe any of it, for sure.

You would also have to believe in almost superhuman amount power and cleverness to believe that they could pull off a deceit at the level you suggest. That’s where most conspiracy theories break down for me- the unbridled power, influence, and ingenuity assigned to these people pulling the strings. Most of them are barely capable of doing the jobs we see, why would I think they are all of the sudden evil geniuses when it comes to the stuff we don’t know about?
stokesjokes wrote: January 14th, 2021, 3:53 pm You have to have some level of institutional trust to believe any of it, for sure.

You would also have to believe in almost superhuman amount power and cleverness to believe that they could pull off a deceit at the level you suggest. That’s where most conspiracy theories break down for me- the unbridled power, influence, and ingenuity assigned to these people pulling the strings. Most of them are barely capable of doing the jobs we see, why would I think they are all of the sudden evil geniuses when it comes to the stuff we don’t know about?
Well you're believing people just because they have a status or position of power and think nothing can go wrong. It's easy to control a narrative when a person or group of people have a similar agenda. This is not the first time that this has happened throughout history especially when you wouldn't know what it would look like or understand. Call it what you'd like; because you don't accept something doesn't make it not true. What I stated about viruses is known facts but those in control of what you are told is keeping that away from you. What does that mean then? There's also a compliant theorist; believing everything one is told from authority without questioning or critically looking through what is told. Doing so a person is placed as a conspiracy theorist(which most people don't even know the origin of that term).
No one is keeping knowledge about viruses away from us. Respectfully, I don’t think you understand the science very well.

Let’s make it about dogs:

There are dogs everywhere. They’re great companions, they’re not hurting anybody, just living great lives. We even let them live in our own houses. Some research would say we live longer if we let dogs live in our houses.

Now, some dogs are wolves. When you let a wolf come live in your house, you’re probably going to get hurt.

Now imagine viruses are dogs and your body is a house.
stokesjokes wrote: January 14th, 2021, 4:28 pm No one is keeping knowledge about viruses away from us. Respectfully, I don’t think you understand the science very well.

Let’s make it about dogs:

There are dogs everywhere. They’re great companions, they’re not hurting anybody, just living great lives. We even let them live in our own houses. Some research would say we live longer if we let dogs live in our houses.

Now, some dogs are wolves. When you let a wolf come live in your house, you’re probably going to get hurt.

Now imagine viruses are dogs and your body is a house.
Respectfully speaking, are you saying that I am incorrect with my statement about viruses? Is a mask going to protect people from viruses and being apart from each other? You can talk about dogs all day, but tell me where I am wrong about viruses or even the test that is used to conclude if a person is positive or negative(even when the Nobel Peace Prize inventor stated it was not to use for viruses)? When have it ever been a successful to keep healthy people people indoors amongst sick? Is it logical to keep someone who is not diagnosed lockrd up just because they might have it but not know it? Is that working well psychologically, physiologically, mentally and emotionally amongst Americans or Internationally? Please give me a logical statement and not some vauge example of there's dogs everywhere but some breeds will harm you. Does that mean we should stay indoors because eventually we may cross paths with a wolf unexpectedly? Should I wear a mask at all times because viruses (non living organism) are everywhere and can mutate? Situations like this have happened before (H1N1 , which was also mutated had about 60 million cases) but for some reason we have to change our lives(not Fauchi, Bill Gates, Jeff Bezos, etc) to save lives even though most of these deaths came from people who are vitamin D defincient and other health problems. But it was all covid that cause all these deaths and will continue to do so. Our country is not as healthy, so it's interesting that people have a scare only when a nationwide pandemic is stamped on it. Look at countries in the east that have worst healthcare as us but some how their covid death rates are not sky rocking like ours. What is science to you? I'll just leave the question there because your mind has been already made up. Your response to me is a good example of cognitive dissonance. Hope the best for you.
thepostman wrote: January 14th, 2021, 3:15 pm It is kind of crazy there is still such heated debate over this. Some areas are doing better than others obviously but I mean, a lot of hospitals are extremely overwhelmed and becoming more understaffed. It isn't great.

We’ve been told that hospitals and ICU’s are “near the brink of collapse” since April. Yet they never do
Yes, I am saying you’re incorrect about your statement about viruses.

You said: “exposure to organisms is not sufficient to make us sick.”
That’s incorrect. Exposure to certain organisms makes us sick. That’s where the dog analogy came in.

You said “ Is a mask going to protect people from viruses and being apart from each other?”

Viruses transmit in different ways. This particular one is droplet transmission, so it requires liquid particles to travel in. These liquid droplets are usually big enough to not be able to make it through a mask, although some still may, so masks are not 100% effective. Distancing is also effective because these droplets only spread so far before either evaporating or falling to the floor. Our 6 ft rule of thumb is actually based off data from SARS. They found that SARS patients that traveled on airplanes transmitted to other travelers. When they looked at the passenger manifests, the transmission only occurred to other passengers seated within 6 ft of the carrier.

You said “ When have it ever been a successful to keep healthy people people indoors amongst sick?”

No one is saying to do this. You keep healthy away from sick.

You said “ Is it logical to keep someone who is not diagnosed lockrd up just because they might have it but not know it?”

You tell someone who might have it to quarantine based on incubation period. If someone has been exposed, it can take up to 14 days to show symptoms. Pre-symptomatic people can spread it.

You said “Does that mean we should stay indoors because eventually we may cross paths with a wolf unexpectedly?”

You stay away from possible exposure. Since pre-symptomatic people can spread the virus without knowing they have it, you reduce transmission this way.

You said “Should I wear a mask at all times because viruses (non living organism) are everywhere and can mutate?”

You wear a mask because you may be pre-symptomatic yourself and might transmit to someone else.

Source: wife teaches pathophysiology for Liberty

Look, it seems like you’re passionate about this and I’m not saying every measure taken has worked or made sense, but most of the time the consensus is the consensus because it’s been evaluated and found to be correct, not because someone wants to hide the “truth” from you.
Purple Haize wrote: January 14th, 2021, 6:52 pm
thepostman wrote: January 14th, 2021, 3:15 pm It is kind of crazy there is still such heated debate over this. Some areas are doing better than others obviously but I mean, a lot of hospitals are extremely overwhelmed and becoming more understaffed. It isn't great.

We’ve been told that hospitals and ICU’s are “near the brink of collapse” since April. Yet they never do
New York went over the brink, but on the whole I think the hospital systems have been resilient. They’ve adapted what they have to accommodate who comes in. Take LGH, for instance, they have 120 COVID patients as of today, but they’ve turned 3 whole floors into COVID-specific floors and are about to turn a 4th. They’re also cancelling elective procedures because they don’t have beds for patients to use in recovery.
Novant in Winston is currently asking hospital staffs from other departments to volunteer to work overtime and fill in on covid duty. They’ve got NICU nurses taking care of covid patients because they’ve had to stick covid patients where they can. They’re absolutely overwhelmed.
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 14th, 2021, 8:43 pm Novant in Winston is currently asking hospital staffs from other departments to volunteer to work overtime and fill in on covid duty. They’ve got NICU nurses taking care of covid patients because they’ve had to stick covid patients where they can. They’re absolutely overwhelmed.
I’m very familiar with Novant. A lot of it has to do with staffing. When a staff member gets quarantined things roll down hill. Novant also has a lot of room in a lot of area hospitals. Wake has some issues too. Novant can stick people in a host of different hospitals. But once a nurse goes down and has to be quarantined then it’s crazy.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Cuomo actually told CNN back in October that hospitals were never overrun at peak of pandemic. The fact that three large military hospitals were sparsely used backs his claim. Samaritan's Purse was there too. The confusion comes from his very amusing drama queen behavior. Remember, "Mr. President, who gets to decide which 26K will die because they can't get a ventilator."
Purple Haize liked this
I think what we’ve found is that hospitals have the space, it’s the other things that have been “overwhelmed,” whether through poor planning or otherwise. In NY they were overwhelmed because they didn’t have the equipment, not because they didn’t have the space. In Winston it sounds like they’re overwhelmed because they don’t have the staffing, but I’m sure there’s space if they make space.

Here, at least a couple weeks ago, I heard there were a couple hundred centra workers furloughed because they needed to quarantine. I’ve heard stories of nurses having 9 and 10 patient assignments at LGH right now (normal is around 5, depending on the floor). That’s a recipe for mistakes and for burnout. They’ve actually changed to disaster code charting requirements to lighten the load so they can handle the added patient load.
stokesjokes wrote: January 14th, 2021, 9:43 pm
Here, at least a couple weeks ago, I heard there were a couple hundred centra workers furloughed because they needed to quarantine. I’ve heard stories of nurses having 9 and 10 patient assignments at LGH right now (normal is around 5, depending on the floor). That’s a recipe for mistakes and for burnout. They’ve actually changed to disaster code charting requirements to lighten the load so they can handle the added patient load.
That’s the story I’m hearing out of Roanoke and Carillion. They furloughed employees. Then they had some get Rona quarantined so now the staff issue is crazy.
There’s a couple new vaccines coming that use a different mechanism. One is from AstraZeneca where they’ve encoded a COVID spike protein into a different virus so theoretically you’d produce COVID antibodies even though the virus in the vaccine isn’t COVID.
stokesjokes wrote: January 15th, 2021, 9:33 am There’s a couple new vaccines coming that use a different mechanism. One is from AstraZeneca where they’ve encoded a COVID spike protein into a different virus so theoretically you’d produce COVID antibodies even though the virus in the vaccine isn’t COVID.
I wonder if it will show up on the tests as Covid Positive?
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I've been told I would have a 98 percent survival rate if I came down with it. The nurses at my doctors office privately told they are NOT taking it. I've never had a problem with getting a flu shot, but I'm not interested in this one ..... yet.

:dontgetit
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Glad to see the staff address the height and athle[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]