This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

olldflame wrote: December 14th, 2020, 6:07 pm Wait and see? :dontgetit That's why they do the trials. Over 70,000 people have taken this with zero serious complications.
Short term, yes.

I never buy the first generation of anything. I’ll probably wait 3-6 months once it’s available to me to make sure nothing pops up. That’d put me mid summer-ish which would be a year out from when the trials started. I’m in a rural area and work from home so my risk of getting the virus is lower. No need for me to rush.
stokesjokes wrote: December 14th, 2020, 3:53 pm I can understand African American’s distrust of institutions, that is well earned. Look at things like the Tuskegee experiment. That’s why I hope prominent figures getting the vaccine publicly can ease some concerns. Good leaders need to step up and get the vaccine on camera. Sort of like Princess Diana shaking hands with AIDS patients.
Or you can include the Cutter Incident that led to a growing vaccine crisis of the police vaccine. We can also afford the Swine flu fear in the 70's that led to civilians receiving neurological damages or death although politicians push Americans to take it with propaganda (commercials, celebrities, people in white coats saying that they're doctors). Of course those invifents are just pushed aside because money is to be gained. People don't forget about these things and now theiy're still labeled and demonized because they do not obey orders. Trust the government/corpos with your health when they can't even handle monetary and infrastructural duties on a daily basis. I thought the movie 'They Love' was just something to ponder about but apparently it's an allegorical documentary.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 14th, 2020, 6:36 pm
olldflame wrote: December 14th, 2020, 6:07 pm Wait and see? :dontgetit That's why they do the trials. Over 70,000 people have taken this with zero serious complications.
Short term, yes.

I never buy the first generation of anything. I’ll probably wait 3-6 months once it’s available to me to make sure nothing pops up. That’d put me mid summer-ish which would be a year out from when the trials started. I’m in a rural area and work from home so my risk of getting the virus is lower. No need for me to rush.
The history of vaccines has consistently been that complications almost always show up early.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: December 14th, 2020, 5:04 pm
stokesjokes wrote: December 14th, 2020, 3:53 pm I can understand African American’s distrust of institutions, that is well earned. Look at things like the Tuskegee experiment. That’s why I hope prominent figures getting the vaccine publicly can ease some concerns. Good leaders need to step up and get the vaccine on camera. Sort of like Princess Diana shaking hands with AIDS patients.
The fact that the only example you could come up with is something that was started 80 years ago and discontinued 50 years ago speaks volumes. The distrust has nothing to do with any current institutional practice. It is the result of indoctrination from "leaders" promoting a political agenda.

It's not a coincidence that the first 2 injections, nationally televised, went to black direct care health workers. Based on the stated priorities, Kamala Harris probably won't be getting one soon, but that shouldn't keep her from making a public statement of her intention to do so.
I agree that it doesn’t have to do with current institutional practice, but that also doesn’t mean it has to be some sort of current indoctrination. There’s a strong and relatively recent cultural memory of being mistreated or not considered by these institutions. There’s plenty there beyond Tuskegee, I just used the most infamous and egregious example. Again, it doesn’t have to be something current to explain the distrust. And I’m not saying that there are reasons to distrust this particular vaccine or it’s rollout, but I understand where the black community is coming from.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
And, let’s be honest, if there are long-term effects that weren’t observed in the vaccine trials, a couple of extra months probably won’t matter. Maybe you’d see some trends a few years down the line.
Define serious? There was some Bells Palsy. Infertility issue concerns. Allergic reactions

I’m all glad Trump got the road blocks out of the way to get this fast tracked but I hate getting shots and will only do so if required to for my job. I’m the same way with the flu shot and it’s not that I’m some anti Vaxer. I just really don’t like shots.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
https://nypost.com/2020/12/14/pfizer-ce ... ccine/amp/

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla explains why he hasn’t taken COVID-19 vaccine yet

Pfizer CEO Albert Bourla said Monday he hasn’t taken the COVID-19 vaccine yet — but only because he doesn’t want to be seen as jumping the line.

“I haven’t taken it yet and we are having an ethical committee dealing with the question of who is getting it."

:lol:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 14th, 2020, 8:06 pm
Define serious? There was some Bells Palsy. Infertility issue concerns. Allergic reactions

I’m all glad Trump got the road blocks out of the way to get this fast tracked but I hate getting shots and will only do so if required to for my job. I’m the same way with the flu shot and it’s not that I’m some anti Vaxer. I just really don’t like shots.
The 2 severe allergic reaction situations that got a lot of press were both certified epi-pen carrying hyperallergic individuals. There have been a few cases of Bell's Palsey, but no proof of causation.

I have been in Indiana for 3 months waiting for my passport to be renewed, but will be flying back to the DR after Christmas. I thought about seeing if I could get the vaccine, but even if I could get the first shot, I'm not sure I want to hang around 3 more weeks for the second one. My guess is the Russian or Chinese vaccines will be available sooner in the DR. That may be a tough decision.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
This cares relief bill better not have blue state public sector pension bailout money in it. Demacrates promised union leaders big money pentions for members .... money that they didn't have, in return for union member votes to keep them in office. Republican are idiots if they allow it. The practice will never stop.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I had it in early December, the doc gave me zinc (along with some other stuff). I’ve heard it might help me get my smell back sooner but I’m on the fence on whether I want it back or not. There are lots of things I’m glad I don’t have to smell 😝
TH Spangler liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 13th, 2021, 11:04 am I had it in early December, the doc gave me zinc (along with some other stuff). I’ve heard it might help me get my smell back sooner but I’m on the fence on whether I want it back or not. There are lots of things I’m glad I don’t have to smell 😝
True, but without your sense of smell you cannot really enjoy the FLAVOR of foods. Flavor is not the same as taste. Our taste buds can only distinguish salty, sweet and bitter. Everything else comes from smell.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Some things taste a little different, I don’t notice a big difference. It makes cooking more of a challenge; I have to have someone else do the tasting for me. Been good for my waistline, though. I’m even thinking of starting a 2nd career in sanitation.
I tried to look for a baseline comparison and found this:
https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/flu.htm

In a normal year, it’s about 60,000 flu/pneumonia deaths in the whole year.

What you’re saying is that we’ve had 30,000 more than that in 3 months. Chilling.

We are also well on track to hit the predicted 500,000 COVID deaths by the end of February. If we average 4K daily deaths until then, which is where we are this week, the number is closer to 600,000. If those numbers hold through March, we’ve got 700,000 deaths in the calendar year since this thing hit. I pray it’s over soon.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: January 13th, 2021, 10:58 am Zinc, vitamin D and yogurt. First two probably made in China :lol:
Zinc and Vitamin D supplements are definitely made in China. I refuse to buy them because I can't find any made over here, or at least not in China.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: January 13th, 2021, 6:55 pm
TH Spangler wrote: January 13th, 2021, 10:58 am Zinc, vitamin D and yogurt. First two probably made in China :lol:
Zinc and Vitamin D supplements are definitely made in China. I refuse to buy them because I can't find any made over here, or at least not in China.
I 100% support us moving production of medications and supplements away from China, but in the mean time, I happen to be in a somewhat high risk group, so I'm taking them.
stokesjokes, ATrain liked this
LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell Ce[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]