This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

correct but lets put on our tinfoil hats for a moment.

dr birx said that the death numbers are very liberal because if someone dies of cancer but also had the virus, they are counting that as a covid death.
theoretically if i had covid and got hit by a bus that's counted as a covid death.
whats interesting is the reported deaths from other diseases has gone down.
so there are a few things at play here. a people are dying of pneumonia/flu but they also contracted the virus so its being marked as a virus death.
ALSO because many are staying at home more, there is less spread of diseases in general. Also there isn't likely the vehicular deaths, there isn't the murders, etc etc.
i would bet that when this is said and done, the number of deaths in the US from in march and april 2020 is less than the deaths in march and april 2019.

my worry comes into play in that historically the gvt very rarely gives up all the power they assume during these times. This information or these numbers could potentially be used to govern us with regularity all in the name of keeping us safe. In the end the gvt becomes a flesh and blood VIKI (i,robot). Now a core difference is that our "officials" are elected by the people but i think an argument can be made that our officials are simply controlled by those in real power.

yes, i've been listening to paranormal radio at night before i go to bed.
Purple Haize liked this
By rtb72
I found this to be an interesting article. It pretty much asserts COVID 19 would be the associated cause of death, even if only listed as a "contributor". The distinction of "contributor" is only added language after post-mortem testing (at least we assume the testing is done and not simply provided as a cause due to symptoms), thus the presence alone is the trump cause (no pun intended). Pneumonia/flu attributed deaths are down, most likely I would assume because of this manipulation. At a minimum, I think this does provide some clarity when reports suggest COVID 19 deaths have surpassed typical expectations for seasonal flu/pneumonia mortality numbers. The total death rate may very well still fall within what would be typical, only it now demonstrates COVID 19 as an added culprit, whereas before it was not. There seemed to even be some undertones that COVID 19 is listed as the default cause in "most flu related cases/deaths", leading me to wonder whether victim symptoms alone may result in a diagnosis for cause of death. Testing resources were extremely limited initially and may even be presently. If that's the case, would the medical field in general consistently exert such hard-to-come-by resources post-mortem?

https://mises.org/wire/march-us-deaths- ... all-deaths
I am not saying there isn't any validity in this doctor's claim but the way this has gotten as many views as it has is because it was shared on infowars which isn't exactly the source of reliable news.

https://www.infowars.com/bombshell-plea ... pneumonia/

There are going to be a ton of unknowns about this thing and since the Chinese government has been fairly secretive about things we are going into this almost blind except for what we know of these types of viruses.

A year from now things will look a lot more clearer but trying to come to any kind of firm conclusions seems irresponsible. That is just my 2 cents
thepostman wrote: April 9th, 2020, 8:09 am I am not saying there isn't any validity in this doctor's claim but the way this has gotten as many views as it has is because it was shared on infowars which isn't exactly the source of reliable news.

https://www.infowars.com/bombshell-plea ... pneumonia/

There are going to be a ton of unknowns about this thing and since the Chinese government has been fairly secretive about things we are going into this almost blind except for what we know of these types of viruses.

A year from now things will look a lot more clearer but trying to come to any kind of firm conclusions seems irresponsible. That is just my 2 cents
It seems to match the explanation in the other link I posted. Time will tell. Hope we figure it out quickly.

https://twitter.com/cameronks
I hope so too. I also am not trying to discredit that doctor. I have no doubt he is seeing what he is seeing but it is now being used by groups like infowars to push some kind of weird tin hat conspiracy that will do little in helping us figure this thing out.
At this point he's just another side show as crazy as ball coach:
Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of Liberty University, said on Wednesday that arrest warrants had been issued for journalists from The New York Times and ProPublica after both outlets published articles critical of his decision to partially reopen Liberty’s campus amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Photocopies of the two warrants published on the website of Todd Starnes, a conservative radio host, charge that Julia Rendleman, a freelance photographer for the Times, and Alec MacGillis, a ProPublica reporter, committed misdemeanor trespassing on the Lynchburg, Va., campus of the college while working on their articles.
https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/0 ... nts-176346
thepostman wrote: April 9th, 2020, 8:27 am I hope so too. I also am not trying to discredit that doctor. I have no doubt he is seeing what he is seeing but it is now being used by groups like infowars to push some kind of weird tin hat conspiracy that will do little in helping us figure this thing out.
Agreed, can't rely on media outlets like infowars, msnbc, cnn. Mostly spin.
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 9th, 2020, 9:02 am At this point he's just another side show as crazy as ball coach:
Jerry Falwell Jr., the president of Liberty University, said on Wednesday that arrest warrants had been issued for journalists from The New York Times and ProPublica after both outlets published articles critical of his decision to partially reopen Liberty’s campus amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Photocopies of the two warrants published on the website of Todd Starnes, a conservative radio host, charge that Julia Rendleman, a freelance photographer for the Times, and Alec MacGillis, a ProPublica reporter, committed misdemeanor trespassing on the Lynchburg, Va., campus of the college while working on their articles.
Good for Jerry. Looking out for the health of students stuck on campus. "Falwell cast his decision to seek a case against the journalists as a move to protect his students, asserting that the journalists had probably come from coronavirus hot spots such as Washington, D.C., or New York, and that by being on campus they had put remaining Liberty students at risk. "
Jerry is probably taking it too far as he often does but it had become pretty clear that Liberty is being used as a political pawn. Of course liberty wasn't reactionary mode almost the entire time instead of taking proactive action but when all is said in done, it appears to me anyways, that proper steps have been taken.

The trespassing charges though? Come on, that's just feeding the beast at this stage. Just let it go and move on. I would like him to stop using the official Liberty social media accounts to promote any political agenda but that is a whole other debate that we can have elsewhere.
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 9th, 2020, 9:02 am At this point he's just another side show as crazy as ball coach:

I know he’s a lawyer but I’m not sure how you can be arrested for misdemeanor trespassing if you are no longer on the premises. Also, I’m not familiar with the background here. Were they told to leave campus and didn’t? Were they actually barred from coming on campus? I don’t understand the basis for them violating a law here.
Doesn’t really answer my question. Were they denied entry ? Asked to leave? The article said there were signs but were there really? I know of people not even remotely related to the university who have been on campus. We even have a poster on this board who brags about it. So again, not sure this makes any sense
Liberty is a private institution but still remains an open campus. If they were asked to leave and didn't then Jerry clearly has a case. It doesn't appear that is what happened in this case but if it is then there isn't much defending it.

Obviously the media had political motivation for doing what they did and covering that story the way that they did but so does Jerry. This is all about politics and has very little to do with doing what is right.

But then again, if this means less creepy guys roaming around campus then maybe this is for the best long term :D :D
Purple Haize liked this
thepostman wrote: April 9th, 2020, 11:18 am Of course liberty wasn't reactionary mode almost the entire time instead of taking proactive action but when all is said in done, it appears to me anyways, that proper steps have been taken.
Maybe. And maybe just for students. But staff are still being required to work on-site every day. Including staff who are vulnerable or elderly, even when your job duties could easily be done remotely. It's still a toxic place to work, and as always, staff are not taken into account.
makarov97 wrote: April 9th, 2020, 1:40 pm
thepostman wrote: April 9th, 2020, 1:30 pm Liberty is a private institution but still remains an open campus. If they were asked to leave and didn't then Jerry clearly has a case. It doesn't appear that is what happened in this case but if it is then there isn't much defending it.

Obviously the media had political motivation for doing what they did and covering that story the way that they did but so does Jerry. This is all about politics and has very little to do with doing what is right.

But then again, if this means less creepy guys roaming around campus then maybe this is for the best long term :D :D
It's a closed campus at the moment. Under Virginia law, you don't have to be actually asked to leave. You can be charged with trespassing for going past a sign. The key is notice.

You can be given notice in writing, orally, or by a sign or by court order. The Commonwealth always has the burden of proving notice, but evidence of the signage can be enough.

You can't miss the signs that are up right now.
Interesting. I am nowhere near campus but the last time I was there there wasn't any clear no trespassing signage but if there is, jerry has a case. Now is it really worth it? I don't think so but such is life.

ALUmnus wrote:
thepostman wrote: April 9th, 2020, 11:18 am Of course liberty wasn't reactionary mode almost the entire time instead of taking proactive action but when all is said in done, it appears to me anyways, that proper steps have been taken.
Maybe. And maybe just for students. But staff are still being required to work on-site every day. Including staff who are vulnerable or elderly, even when your job duties could easily be done remotely. It's still a toxic place to work, and as always, staff are not taken into account.
Other then staff providing essential services, who else is required to be on campus? That goes against everything that has been put out. People aren't banned from working on campus, but are given the choice. It was confusing at first according to the people I know who work on campus but it has since been cleared up.
thepostman wrote: April 9th, 2020, 2:08 pm Other then staff providing essential services, who else is required to be on campus? That goes against everything that has been put out. People aren't banned from working on campus, but are given the choice. It was confusing at first according to the people I know who work on campus but it has since been cleared up.
Lots of people are being required to be there that could easily work remotely. Your job duty being essential does not necessarily mean your physical presence in the office is essential. What is requiring them to be there is management/administration.
When was the last time staff members were given a choice about anything?
2 weeks working at home i could see where people are lying to someone about having to be working there. i am trying to convince my boss that i'm needed a the office for the forseeable future.
Funny how we have had people on here bragging about being on campus while obviously not on official business. I’m not sure those signs are as prominent as advertised. I mean if they were THAT concerned about it they do have the ability to create check points. Pretty easy to restrict ingress and egress onto campus. It’s a BS move.
thepostman wrote: April 9th, 2020, 11:18 am Jerry is probably taking it too far as he often does but it had become pretty clear that Liberty is being used as a political pawn. Of course liberty wasn't reactionary mode almost the entire time instead of taking proactive action but when all is said in done, it appears to me anyways, that proper steps have been taken.

The trespassing charges though? Come on, that's just feeding the beast at this stage. Just let it go and move on. I would like him to stop using the official Liberty social media accounts to promote any political agenda but that is a whole other debate that we can have elsewhere.
I feel like this is chicken or egg. Are they used as a political pawn at times? Sure. But if we're being honest, didn't this all start when Jerry claimed that the virus was nothing more than than a North Korean bioweapon? So if that's your opening argument, and people then (rightly) call you out for such a nutjob statement.... is it still okay for him to play the victim card?
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]