This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: March 14th, 2020, 10:03 am I have a friend in WV who routinely works with the public. He started displaying symptoms, tested negative for strep throat, flu, etc... but they still wouldn't test him for Coronavirus due to the red tape in WV. There can't be any confirmed cases if you can't test people
ATrain liked this
Here's what Im reading ...... People under the age of 80 who do not have risk factors such as asthma/emphysema, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, autoimmune disorders, cardiopulmonary disorders, or smoke ARE AT LITTLE TO NO RISK OF DYING FROM COVID-19.

From the CDC: " Overall, China CDC found, 2.3% of confirmed cases died. But the fatality rate was 14.8% in people 80 or older, likely reflecting the presence of other diseases, a weaker immune system, or simply worse overall health. By contrast, the fatality rate was 1.3% in 50-somethings, 0.4% in 40-somethings, and 0.2% in people 10 to 39, .004% up to 9. "

:dontgetit
TH Spangler wrote: March 14th, 2020, 11:39 am Here's what Im reading ...... People under the age of 80 who do not have risk factors such as asthma/emphysema, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, autoimmune disorders, cardiopulmonary disorders, or smoke ARE AT LITTLE TO NO RISK OF DYING FROM COVID-19.

From the CDC: " Overall, China CDC found, 2.3% of confirmed cases died. But the fatality rate was 14.8% in people 80 or older, likely reflecting the presence of other diseases, a weaker immune system, or simply worse overall health. By contrast, the fatality rate was 1.3% in 50-somethings, 0.4% in 40-somethings, and 0.2% in people 10 to 39, .004% up to 9. "

What needs to be separated is Contracting and Dying. When there are reports of people Contracting the Wuhan Virus they make it sound like it’s fatal.
On the flip side this appears to be much more easily transmitted so if you are even an asymptotic carrier you need to be cautious around those who ARE at risk
thepostman liked this
TH Spangler wrote: March 14th, 2020, 11:39 am Here's what Im reading ...... People under the age of 80 who do not have risk factors such as asthma/emphysema, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, autoimmune disorders, cardiopulmonary disorders, or smoke ARE AT LITTLE TO NO RISK OF DYING FROM COVID-19.

You still don’t get it. It’s not about protecting the young from dying. It’s about protecting the spread so the elderly don’t die and the hospitals aren’t overcrowded with sick people. There’s a good chance 40-60% of America will at some point contract the virus. The goal is to keep that spread out so the healthcare system can handle it.
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 14th, 2020, 11:51 am

You still don’t get it. It’s not about protecting the young from dying. It’s about protecting the spread so the elderly don’t die and the hospitals aren’t overcrowded with sick people. There’s a good chance 40-60% of America will at some point contract the virus. The goal is to keep that spread out so the healthcare system can handle it.
195 million Americans are not going to be flooding the ER rooms. Most people who show up on tests as having Wuhan are asymptomatic. But you are correct that we need to do are best at keeping those most at risk safe
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 14th, 2020, 12:13 pm I prefer some form of pants mainly because the bars on my chair are metal and they’re cold with no shorts/sweats on.
I don't work from home much but it looks like it'll be the norm for the next couple of weeks so I'll find what works best. Kids will be home too so I probably won't really go pantless for their sake.
Purple Haize wrote: March 14th, 2020, 12:20 pm

195 million Americans are not going to be flooding the ER rooms. Most people who show up on tests as having Wuhan are asymptomatic. But you are correct that we need to do are best at keeping those most at risk safe
It’s not about the 195 million. If even 5% of that shows up because of this, it can overcrowd hospitals. It’s already hard enough for hospitals to get people to adhere to visitor restrictions. My wife has been dealing with that part of it all week, and she’s not even in the ER.
My first three years working for Apple, I worked in our office and then after that, become a telecommuter and worked from home for nearly 10 years.

Always wore shorts at least. One time though, I had to meet with one of my employees (who also worked from home) on video and dude appeared to be completely naked. I closed my conference with him and sent him a message to remind him to put some clothes on. He just said, “oh yeah, I forgot that you could see me.”

I have many other stories about the things I saw in the background when meeting with employees.

I have a feeling there’s going to be a lot of that going on over the next few weeks.
Jonathan Carone wrote: March 14th, 2020, 12:30 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 14th, 2020, 12:20 pm

It’s not about the 195 million. If even 5% of that shows up because of this, it can overcrowd hospitals. It’s already hard enough for hospitals to get people to adhere to visitor restrictions. My wife has been dealing with that part of it all week, and she’s not even in the ER.
I’m saying I doubt your source saying there will be 195 million people who will contract this and show symptoms
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 14th, 2020, 11:58 am My son has respiratory issues and regardless of stats, appreciate the precautionary measures being taken.

I'll be working a lot more from home which means pants are optional, right?
Yes, pants are optional. Without kids, more things become optional LOL
thepostman liked this
Regent University just made the call
REGENT UNIVERSITY TRANSITIONS ONLINE

EFFECTIVE MONDAY, MARCH 16, 2020

VIRGINIA BEACH, VA (March 14, 2020) – In light of the continued spread of COVID-19 and the declaration of a national emergency, Regent University will exercise the following measures to protect its faculty, staff, and students.

CAMPUS CLASSES WILL CONTINUE ONLINE

Effective Monday, March 16, 2020, all courses will be offered online. Regent University is ranked as the #1 online bachelor’s in Virginia (U.S. News & World Report, 2020). We’re leading the way in online education, so you can expect exceptional instruction online.
Purple Haize wrote: March 14th, 2020, 12:20 pm 195 million Americans are not going to be flooding the ER rooms. Most people who show up on tests as having Wuhan are asymptomatic. But you are correct that we need to do are best at keeping those most at risk safe
You obviously have no experience in this, but constantly referring it to this as the "Wuhan" or the "Chinese" virus is being used by folks as an excuse to express their ignorant racist frustrations at people of Asian descent.

You have a choice to be a better person and not feed those trolls, or you can continue to make this choice and feed their ignorance.

Just remember, your choices are having an impact on how other people (not you) are being treated. Your decisions of what terminology and language to use don't exist in a bubble.

It's also entirely possible that you don't care how other people (not you) are treated. If that's the case, then I guess it could be a moot point.
adam42381 liked this
Yeah, that's why the term should cease. People are using it as a handle for negative actions toward Asians (not just Chinese Americans). If that wasn't happening, it wouldn't be a huge deal. It's not the term itself that is problematic, it's what the term is being used to excuse. When you give people less fuel, they'll create less fire.

In complete transparency, my son is Chinese and while he personally hasn't experienced anything (that we know of), I have heard some horrendous stories from other parents, children, and students in my classroom of how they are being treated. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if my son has experienced some negativity but just didn't understand it and isn't able to communicate it to us due to his special needs.
Yacht Rock wrote: March 14th, 2020, 2:23 pm
Purple Haize wrote: March 14th, 2020, 12:20 pm 195 million Americans are not going to be flooding the ER rooms. Most people who show up on tests as having Wuhan are asymptomatic. But you are correct that we need to do are best at keeping those most at risk safe
You obviously have no experience in this, but constantly referring it to this as the "Wuhan" or the "Chinese" virus is being used by folks as an excuse to express their ignorant racist frustrations at people of Asian descent.

You have a choice to be a better person and not feed those trolls, or you can continue to make this choice and feed their ignorance.

Just remember, your choices are having an impact on how other people (not you) are being treated. Your decisions of what terminology and language to use don't exist in a bubble.

It's also entirely possible that you don't care how other people (not you) are treated. If that's the case, then I guess it could be a moot point.
Where have I used the term Chinese Virus? I use Wuhan and Corona interchangeably because they are used interchangeably. It’s even described as the Wuhan Corona virus. I have never seen the term Chinese Virus used thus I don’t use it. It’s why you say Lyme Disease and not Connecticut Disease.
If you want to ascribe a racist intent from me for that....well I don’t know what tell you. To make a leap into questioning my level of compassion etc because of it seems like an odd pivot but that’s your prerogative. Feel free to point out where I have shown any racial animus towards Asians in these threads (or anywhere) and how I have applied the Wuhan Corona Virus to diminish them
Why do some people view literally everything and everything as racist? :roll:

Is it some sort of game? If you get a high score, do you win anything?
Purple Haize liked this
Purple Haize wrote: March 14th, 2020, 2:52 pm
Yacht Rock wrote: March 14th, 2020, 2:23 pm

Where have I used the term Chinese Virus? I use Wuhan and Corona interchangeably because they are used interchangeably. It’s even described as the Wuhan Corona virus. I have never seen the term Chinese Virus used thus I don’t use it. It’s why you say Lyme Disease and not Connecticut Disease.
If you want to ascribe a racist intent from me for that....well I don’t know what tell you. To make a leap into questioning my level of compassion etc because of it seems like an odd pivot but that’s your prerogative. Feel free to point out where I have shown any racial animus towards Asians in these threads (or anywhere) and how I have applied the Wuhan Corona Virus to diminish them
You might not realize it, but Wuhan is a region in China and only you know your intent. I am curious of your intent though when you choose to continue to use that term after being made aware of the impact that term has on populations and communities that you personally aren't a member of. Yes, that displays a lack of compassion toward Asians.
jbock13 wrote: March 14th, 2020, 2:55 pm Why do some people view literally everything and everything as racist? :roll:

It wouldn't be racist if people weren't using it as an excuse to attack people of Asian descent. It would be a giant nothing burger otherwise.
Yacht Rock wrote: March 14th, 2020, 2:59 pm
jbock13 wrote: March 14th, 2020, 2:55 pm Why do some people view literally everything and everything as racist? :roll:

It wouldn't be racist if people weren't using it as an excuse to attack people of Asian descent. It would be a giant nothing burger otherwise.
Where has anyone here attacked anyone of Asian descent?
Of course I know where Wuhan is that’s why I made the reference to Lyme’s so don’t get patronizing
Since there really isn’t a whole big thing being made about the use of Wuhan by anyone other than the Totalitarian Government of China I don’t see the problem with using common terminology. It’s no more degrading then West Nile Virus is to the people of Uganda or Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is to the folks in and around Colorado. If I were to see it being used as a slur I would most certainly object to its usage. I have not nor have you provided evidence of it.
2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Sounds like you don't watch UVA play that much. I […]