This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

olldflame wrote: February 7th, 2021, 10:43 am
Purple Haize wrote: February 7th, 2021, 10:20 am Don’t get too excited. The vaccine results from Israel are not promising
I'd be interested in seeing a link for those results, because everything I have seen is very positive, a lot of it coming from news outlets that are normally skeptical at best when it comes to anything to do with Israel (NYT, Vox, etc.)

https://www.google.com/search?q=israel+ ... e&ie=UTF-8
Alex can be a tad controversial but he’s been right more than wrong during this. Israeli and PA populations are a good real world case study.

By JK37
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: February 11th, 2021, 11:17 am Next thing you know they will mandate everyone where the black plague mask. People have lost their lost minds!
There is a member of my family who has had COVID-19 with few mild symptoms, now has completed the full course of vaccinations, and yet still refuses to gather with the rest of the family at all because “you are all taking unnecessary risks” such as gathering in a group for a family meal.

Yes, many have lost their minds. You can’t fix stupid.
stokesjokes liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
You reminded me of this article from a couple of days ago:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/12/brie ... ident.html

I’m in a similar boat as your family member- I had COVID and will be getting my 2nd vaccine dose next week. I’m all about getting back to more normal community. Granted, I’ve never been full-on-isolated anyway, other than the 2 weeks when I had it.

For those in my circle who have taken more extreme measures, I’ve seen them get tired of their self-imposed restrictions and go completely in the opposite direction, negating their initial efforts.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Depending on the severity of the symptoms that they experienced it may be that loved ones simply fear infecting the ones they love. I admit that my immediate family probably goes over the top with masks primarily because we lost a very healthy father of Mrs. Sly to a COVID-induced heart attack. I share because we don't always know what is going through the minds of even family members.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
That’s true. Those with kids or jobs with strict policies also have practical considerations too. An exposure for my kids means 2 weeks out of school and basically two weeks of either my wife or I having to take off work since our kids are too young to be left alone while we work.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Some really good news.

Here is the letter from Pfizer, published in the New England Journal of Medicine.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2036242

They are very adamant in recommending deferring second doses until all high risk individuals have gotten the first. With the single-dose J&J vaccine hopefully available soon, this can advance things significantly over everyone needing 2. Might even get some of the people who are hesitant on board if they only need one.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Geraldos Mustache wrote: February 19th, 2021, 6:09 pm
Why receive an experimental vaccine when herd immunity is within reach. This WSJ article suggests as early as April.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/well-have- ... 1613669731
Decided to answer this question here in the covid thread.

To answer your question, because it'll accelerate it.

It isn't experimental. It was given emergency authorizearion. Not the same thing. This form of vaccine has been worked on for close to a decade. That was part of the reason it was developed so fast. That and the fact it got way more focus from the scientific community than a lot of vaccines.

Everybody should make their own choice on getting the vaccine but there is no reason to misinform people considering getting the vaccine by claiming the vaccine is "experimental".

Here is a decent writeup if interested.

https://news.uchicago.edu/story/how-wer ... so-quickly
olldflame liked this
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
A caveat would be that research hasn’t been done among certain populations. For instance, they just announced that they are going to start researching the effects on pregnant women.

But if you’re a typical American with an average health history, they’ve done just as much testing as they would do with any vaccine before release, just on an accelerated timetable.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Whatever needs to be done, Doctor Anthony Faucci will solve it.

Apparently, he was riding the subway this afternoon and he needed to sneeze. The pressure was building because he was wearing two masks. So, he pulled down the masks, and sneezed into his hands. His first reaction was to wipe his hands onto the back of the person in front of him. He turned and simply said, "no need to be alarmed, I'm Dr. Anthony Faucci. That shirt needs to be completely sterilized, sanitized, and disinfected. And when you're done, be sure to use a fabric softener, preferably something with a mountain fresh scent, and according to CDC guidelines.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: February 20th, 2021, 8:50 am A caveat would be that research hasn’t been done among certain populations. For instance, they just announced that they are going to start researching the effects on pregnant women.

But if you’re a typical American with an average health history, they’ve done just as much testing as they would do with any vaccine before release, just on an accelerated timetable.
A friend with an excellent health history, works as a NC probation officer got his first shot and only suffered a sore arm. Went back for his second, it caused severe flu like symptoms for two days.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, that’s a pretty standard reaction. The reaction to the 2nd dose is supposed to be more intense because your body is ready to deploy its defenses against it. I got my 2nd dose yesterday morning, not much of a reaction for me yet, which is strange because apparently people who have had the virus already are supposed to react more stronngly.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: February 24th, 2021, 11:06 am anybody know whether pfizer vaccine is made with aborted baby parts? I have found research saying no it is not and yes it is.
Always an interesting ethics debate

But the Pfizer ‘vaccine’ is aborted stem cell free

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/p ... tal-cells/
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
listening to fauci talk really is something.

i have never really had an opportunity in my own set of circumstances to question whether a dr knows what they are talking about or not. So i default to "they probably know mmore than me"

But in the past 8 months having to deal with the absolute wrongness of an entire department of drs and professionals in misdiagnosis of our foster sons deafness in one ear has turned that on its head slightly. due to a number of things but also due to inefficiencies in the product THEY sell.

But through our research of just this one issue, the opinions of dr's all over the place vary WILDLY. to a point where you truly feel like often they are just feeling around in the dark. And this disease is a tad over a year old. clearly they are doing that every day here.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote: February 24th, 2021, 11:24 am listening to fauci talk really is something.

i have never really had an opportunity in my own set of circumstances to question whether a dr knows what they are talking about or not. So i default to "they probably know mmore than me"

But in the past 8 months having to deal with the absolute wrongness of an entire department of drs and professionals in misdiagnosis of our foster sons deafness in one ear has turned that on its head slightly. due to a number of things but also due to inefficiencies in the product THEY sell.

But through our research of just this one issue, the opinions of dr's all over the place vary WILDLY. to a point where you truly feel like often they are just feeling around in the dark. And this disease is a tad over a year old. clearly they are doing that every day here.
1- I’m so sorry you dealt with that issue in regards to your Foster son. Super frustrating.
2- it’s why we should always seek second opinions.
3 - I deal with Providers every day I wouldn’t trust with a bottle of cough syrup let alone an ailment. Conversely there are ones I’d trust with anything
4 - Welcome aboard the Healthy Skepticism Train. We have plenty of seats left
LU 57 liked this
By Biloro
I heard in the news that in UK they are going to remove all the restrictions before the summer. Seems like this is what is going to happen in most touristic countries. As I live in a property in Spain we have same talk around here that everything will start reopen and work by the summer. But I have a feeling that at the end of summer season they will all say "oooops, numbers are high again, new restrictions!"
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
The numbers are trending in an encouraging direction. I’d love to have everything open by summer, even if we still have the mask mandates.

Conversely, the warmer months were the easiest to deal with the restrictions anyway. There’s plenty to do outdoors that isn’t restricted.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 24th, 2021, 11:50 am
RubberMallet wrote: February 24th, 2021, 11:24 am listening to fauci talk really is something.

1- I’m so sorry you dealt with that issue in regards to your Foster son. Super frustrating.
2- it’s why we should always seek second opinions.
3 - I deal with Providers every day I wouldn’t trust with a bottle of cough syrup let alone an ailment. Conversely there are ones I’d trust with anything
4 - Welcome aboard the Healthy Skepticism Train. We have plenty of seats left
Anyone worse than Larry Smith?
Biloro wrote: February 24th, 2021, 12:58 pm I heard in the news that in UK they are going to remove all the restrictions before the summer. Seems like this is what is going to happen in most touristic countries. As I live in a property in Spain we have same talk around here that everything will start reopen and work by the summer. But I have a feeling that at the end of summer season they will all say "oooops, numbers are high again, new restrictions!"
Our cruise out of Barcelona got canceled this summer. I currently hate Spain :D
Biloro liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]