This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
@WinterIsComing there is a lot to unpack with your post. I tend to agree that the media is doing what the media always does and blowing things way out of proportion creating fake belief that this thing is much worse than it is. With that said, there isnt enough data to really determine much of any concrete ideas about this thing.

With that said, if widespread quarantines are established that will have zero impact on our military strategy around the world. I am not sure what data is making you come to those kind of conclusions but they simply are unfounded.

So sure, the freak out level is higher than it should be but all of the other fluff in your post just sound like random ramblings.
Purple Haize liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, but the University is starting to take some action.

https://wset.com/news/local/liberty-uni ... oronavirus

I know several folks who were planning on being on some of these cancelled trips.

On another note...

A good friend of mine is the global Human Resources director for a worldwide company. They are in direct contact with the CDC regarding the best protocol for outbreak mitigation, which includes trying to reduce the number of situations that could create a hotspot.

They have employees to protect from a human capital standpoint and investors to protect from a financial standpoint. Their decisions aren't based on what CNN/Fox News/<insert media outlet here> are recommending.

As Postman said, media gonna media. My day to day will keep being the same as always, until it isn't. The one thing I'm doing with my students at school is just encouraging good hygiene. I've developed a list of songs they can sing while washing their hands and working on laminating and posting it in every restroom on campus.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
yeah, the death rate for this has gone up because of the higher death rate in Italy right now. Like I said in my post earlier, it is far too early to know for sure how serious this really is going to be. It may end up being no big deal in the long run but to completely play it off like it is nothing is foolish as well.

Most health officials I have heard are stressing caution but also trying their best to stop the fear mongering going on. It is certainly a delicate balance.
flamehunter liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:yeah, the death rate for this has gone up because of the higher death rate in Italy right now. Like I said in my post earlier, it is far too early to know for sure how serious this really is going to be. It may end up being no big deal in the long run but to completely play it off like it is nothing is foolish as well.

Most health officials I have heard are stressing caution but also trying their best to stop the fear mongering going on. It is certainly a delicate balance.
Well, and the best part is, if all the outbreak mitigation works, a lot of people will respond by saying, "See, nothing happened. It was nothing to be worried about." LOL.
thepostman liked this
By BlueBlood
A decent number of schools seem to be taking the Spring Break + 2 weeks of online approach (then will reassess). That seems to be a pretty reasonable approach. In 3 weeks they should have a much better picture of how this thing is trending.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
It's honestly great the many schools have the infrastructure to do that. I could switch most of my high school classes I teach to online only if needed. We're also a 1:1 school so they all have a device. The only thing I'd worry about is consistent internet access and my design class because they don't have the Adobe suite on their devices. I'd just switch to teaching design using other tools.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: March 11th, 2020, 3:35 pm We're also a 1:1 school so they all have a device.
there is one student starting in the fall who won't have a device... but that is a topic for another thread.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
A friend who teaches at Coastal said they have extended their spring break to 2 weeks. The students (and faculty) have to love that. :pbjtime
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: March 11th, 2020, 2:02 pm UVa just announced that they are going all online after their Spring Break. Study

https://www.wsls.com/news/virginia/2020 ... -concerns/
For fear of a personal attack by the Winter is coming person, I have just been watching the commentary. As an administrator, one might see thing totally different than a political warrior would. There is a serious potential of financial risk due to failures to recognize fiduciary responsibility, the potential of quarantining an entire dorm due to one student being sick, etc. If you can transition to another platform, why not make that move and limit risk? I'm curious to see how Jerry responds to this situation.
BlueBlood, Purple Haize liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
It looks like all of the state schools in VA are going for 2 weeks Spring Break plus online afterwards: UVA, Tech, Radford, JMU, W&M, etc...
By BlueBlood
If the rest of the country Is trying to beat this thing by limiting unnecessary movement and interactions - and LU doesn’t, it’s not a good look.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 11th, 2020, 1:47 pm yeah, the death rate for this has gone up because of the higher death rate in Italy right now. Like I said in my post earlier, it is far too early to know for sure how serious this really is going to be. It may end up being no big deal in the long run but to completely play it off like it is nothing is foolish as well.

The Italian comparison isn’t a good one. Based on density of population, isolation of population, state of medical facilities and how they conduct daily living (see-shopping at market).
I would like to see the rate in that community compared to the “normal” flu season
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Roanoke College has suspended classes, and they have canceled our Quiz Bowl tournament for this Saturday.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
NBA has suspended season.
But more importantly my ACC Tournament tickets for tomorrow are no good. Play Basketball
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: March 11th, 2020, 10:06 pm Today is dumb.
We just need to shut the country down for 2 weeks :roll:

I just want a 6' 8+ forward that moves like venz[…]

NMSU

You Green-McKay haters keep saying we need c[…]

Charlotte

Charlotte comes to Liberty Wednesday, for a 4:00 p[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

This past weekend I saw my neighbor at HEB.