This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

LUDad wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 3:50 pm Dems are in a no win situation. If they manage to ditch Sanders at the convention, they risk a third party run by Sanders or his supporters sitting out the election. If they they don't succeed, and Sanders is the nominee, they lose anyway.
I don't see a 3rd party run by Bernie, but I think there will in fact be a lot of the bros who stay at home or vote for someone else running a 3rd party campaign on the left, like whoever the Green Party picks.
oldflame wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 4:36 pm
LUDad wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 3:50 pm Dems are in a no win situation. If they manage to ditch Sanders at the convention, they risk a third party run by Sanders or his supporters sitting out the election. If they they don't succeed, and Sanders is the nominee, they lose anyway.
I don't see a 3rd party run by Bernie, but I think there will in fact be a lot of the bros who stay at home or vote for someone else running a 3rd party campaign on the left, like whoever the Green Party picks.
If anyone runs Independent or 3rd Party it’s Bloomberg
ballcoach15 liked this
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 6:58 pm
oldflame wrote: March 2nd, 2020, 4:36 pm
If anyone runs Independent or 3rd Party it’s Bloomberg
3rd party run by anyone, sitting out, or Oldflame's Green Party vote suits me just fine.
Trumps iceberg could be healthcare. If 20 million people can be convinced by demarcates they are about to lose their healthcare, or coverage for per-existing conditions, it could swing a close election.
thepostman wrote:Gotta love the DNC. Paving the way for Trump's reelection with all of these backdoor deals, all because they don't like Bernie. It seems that they are unaware that doing stuff like this does long term damage that is hard to correct. Of course the Republican party tried to do the same thing with Trump but it didn't work out but now they appear united when compared to the Democrats.
Bernie would have control of the democratic party. this is not what the DNC wants at all. Trump for all his silliness for all intents and purposes is much closer to DNC ideals than Bernie is. Even while on the "other side".

We talk about the destruction of the DNC but a Bernie nomination could be even worse for the DNC as it would completely separate them into 2 factions. A cooked nomination either in strategic drop outs or having to sort it out at the convention is forgivable 4 years down the road when its time to do this all over again. Bernie bros will be all ticked but they aren't going to vote for the DNC front runner not named bernie anyway. they'd rather just not vote.
ballcoach15 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 12:58 pm Everyone should vote for Trump, and forget about all the communist candidates. Trump is best president we had since Reagan, and maybe best ever.
For old white guys like you, that may very well be true.
@RubberMallet I totally understand why they are doing what they are doing but there is a growing section of their party that they risk alienating for good by doing this. The long term effects may not amount to much.

As an outsider, it is fun to watch the party fall apart.
TH Spangler wrote:Trumps iceberg could be healthcare. If 20 million people can be convinced by demarcates they are about to lose their healthcare, or coverage for per-existing conditions, it could swing a close election.
But trump has not been the stalwart on healthcare. its been congress. on both sides actually. Hes demanded action. now on his watch seemingly nothing has happened but medicare for all is not a great platform. #1 many people on medicare HATE medicare. Many people who have to deal with their parents on medicare HATE medicare. so "forcing" people into it is also the other side of the iceberg (not a good analogy)
thepostman wrote:@RubberMallet I totally understand why they are doing what they are doing but there is a growing section of their party that they risk alienating for good by doing this. The long term effects may not amount to much.

As an outsider, it is fun to watch the party fall apart.
their party is in shambles at this point. who'd of thought. Nov 7 2016 the DNC looked like it was this monster that couldn't be stopped.
adam42381 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 6:18 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: March 3rd, 2020, 12:58 pm Everyone should vote for Trump, and forget about all the communist candidates. Trump is best president we had since Reagan, and maybe best ever.
I think Bernie Bro’s will vote for Trump just to watch it all “Bern”. If the DNC railroads him again they will be the proverbial peasants with pitchforks at the DNC Gates
i agree, they are more likely to not vote if the nominee in biden. if it was warren maybe.
i have a 2 guys i know very well who are both bernie supporters. like actually have given decent sums of money to the campaign. both if bernie is gone are like "we are done with the democratic party" And i asked if that is the similar sentiment with many of their supporter friends and they said everyone is very glum about last night. is there still a path? absolutely but i believe everyone sees the writing on the wall. it will be sold as obama's third term.
adam42381 wrote:
Not for nothing but outside of the weeping and nashing of teeth and there is obviously still quite a bit of uncertainty as to who is actually responsible but over the past 3.5 years, a majority of almost ever demographic of people by income level and or race has stated that they are better off financially and job wise than they were 4 years ago.

I get the old white rich tropes are continually what are attacked and its probable that they still hold much of the advantage but that is going to take place under any form of government or any taxation plan.

sweden and denmark has more billionaires per capita than the US and those guys under those economies still have shelters and havens to protect them from the insane taxes levied against the rich in those countries.
RubberMallet wrote: March 4th, 2020, 6:49 pm
adam42381 wrote:
Not for nothing but outside of the weeping and nashing of teeth and there is obviously still quite a bit of uncertainty as to who is actually responsible but over the past 3.5 years, a majority of almost ever demographic of people by income level and or race has stated that they are better off financially and job wise than they were 4 years ago.

I get the old white rich tropes are continually what are attacked and its probable that they still hold much of the advantage but that is going to take place under any form of government or any taxation plan.

sweden and denmark has more billionaires per capita than the US and those guys under those economies still have shelters and havens to protect them from the insane taxes levied against the rich in those countries.
If the only measure of a presidency is the economy, I guess that argument can be made.
The economy is why Trump will win reelection. If the economy was tanking then people would be way more willing to come out and vote. At this point the only people excited are people on the far left and Trump loyalist (and they are very loyal). The rest of us are stuck kind of realizing that the democratic party is in shambles and nobody is really offering tangible policies that will actually help our country.
thepostman wrote: March 4th, 2020, 8:15 pm The economy is why Trump will win reelection. If the economy was tanking then people would be way more willing to come out and vote. At this point the only people excited are people on the far left and Trump loyalist (and they are very loyal). The rest of us are stuck kind of realizing that the democratic party is in shambles and nobody is really offering tangible policies that will actually help our country.
But if the economy is doing well doesn’t that actually help the Country? If we aren’t starting conflicts in places like say Syria and Libya doesn’t that actually help our Country?
RubberMallet wrote: March 4th, 2020, 6:49 pm
adam42381 wrote:

The disinformation Bernie continuously spews out about Nordic countries being his model really needs to be called out. They tax business profits and the uber rich at a much lower rate than he is proposing and the middle class pays through the nose for their cradle to grave welfare state.
If I'm Bernie, I wouldn't give Warren the time of day, let alone the VP. By staying in for Super Tuesday, she cost him a significant number of delegates, maybe more than her endorsement would gain for him.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm th[…]

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]