This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 8:36 pm I’m torn. Interested in article, but not in paying WaPo’s fees. I suspect not a ton of truth in the article given that the title refers to him as “bombastic”. Agree or disagree with him, BG is anything but bombastic. He’s pretty void of emotion.

“ If you describe someone as bombastic, you are criticizing them for trying to impress other people by saying things that sound impressive but have little meaning.”

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/d ... /bombastic

Sorry, that ain’t Bob.

And it’s been made categorically evident that Denver was only in politics for his own gain. His actions once he lost re-election alienated his entire district. Many of his voters were done with him by the time his term ended.
I wish I could share what I know about the situation................... but.
If the WaPo or NYT said it was daylight at noon, I would have to go outside and check. Like most news outlets, they lie more than they tell the truth.
By Just John
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 11th, 2021, 8:36 pm I’m torn. Interested in article, but not in paying WaPo’s fees. I suspect not a ton of truth in the article given that the title refers to him as “bombastic”. Agree or disagree with him, BG is anything but bombastic. He’s pretty void of emotion.

“ If you describe someone as bombastic, you are criticizing them for trying to impress other people by saying things that sound impressive but have little meaning.”

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/d ... /bombastic

Sorry, that ain’t Bob.
I will fill in with some context from the article:

"But compared with more-flamboyant personalities at Liberty during the era of university president Jerry Falwell Jr., who resigned last year amid personal scandals, Good largely kept his head down, said one former athletics department employee, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss her former colleague. In one conversation, she said, he even seemed to express feeling bad about asking people for money, given Liberty already had so much."

I think most of us who know Bob would agree with that description. The article continues:

"Chad Hasson, a Liberty graduate who got to know Good while leading a Liberty sports podcast, remembered him as an amicable and “very quiet” family man. “Most of the time you had to kind of make eye contact and approach him first. He wasn’t the type of guy who was going to come up to you if you didn’t want to talk,” he said. “I think politics has kind of changed that.”

And again, that sounds like the Bob we know. But the article also explains he is a member of the House Freedom Caucus, is a proponent of the "Trump won" line, called the pandemic "phony", advocates that the 13 GOP pols that voted for the infrastructure bill to be primaried and calls masks for kids in school "child abuse".

Again, from the article:

"In an interview, asked what he believes the government should do to mitigate the pandemic, since he has not supported any of its measures, Good suggested the government should have done nothing. He presented a hypothetical world in which the government never even uttered the word “covid,” never introduced mask mandates, never closed businesses or schools — so imagine, he said, “we never heard of covid.”

“How many of us would be saying: ‘What’s been going on for 18 months? People around us are dying’?” Good said. “We’re 18 months in, and I don’t even know if I know anybody, on a personal level, who succumbed to the virus. … And I know thousands of people personally, because of the nature of what I did at Liberty.”

The article closes with Karen Prior Swallow saying she voted for Bob thinking he would be a "normal Republican, pro-life and for tax-cuts" based on his reputation at Liberty but after he participated in the Million MAGA March and he said “This looks like a group of people that gets that this is a phony pandemic!” was a real wake-up call to her about the current state of the GOP.

I believe Bob has integrity and unlike many, genuinely believes this stuff. I've always liked him and I'd enjoy having a meal with him but I wouldn't vote for him.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
If we’re asking if we’d vote for him, I suppose for me - like always - it would depend at least in part against whom he was running.

I doubt there’s a politician out there with whom I agree 100% of the time. And few with whom I would agree ~90%. (And I live in NJ. Where pickins be slim.) But, hey, I found one!
Just John liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]