This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Well I hope whoever wanted the Convention loses
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 4th, 2020, 4:10 pm Well I hope whoever wanted the Convention loses
I cannot share everything that I know, until after the convention. To be clear, I live out of state, so really don't have a dog in this fight, outside of my personal preference. (My preferences are determined by who has endorsed each candidate.)
There is plenty of public information and misinformation about the campaigns out there.
I am not clear on the following: I understand that DR was for a convention last time, but I know he is opposed to one this time. I believe he won by one or two votes at the last convention.
I do not believe that any candidate has any say so regarding a convention or primary, they may have a preference, but it is ultimately decided by a regional Republican committee.
I am clear that DR did perform a gay wedding during his term and called Trump a "buffoon". The combination of those has had major repercussions against his campaign. I am not saying that was right or wrong (I wouldn't have done it, but I wouldn't have married a hetero couple either).
Regardless of who wins the Republican nomination, I hope he wins the general in Nov. 8)
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 4th, 2020, 4:10 pm Well I hope whoever wanted the Convention loses
Bob pushed for a convention in a Lynchburg/Campbell County church. Denver wanted a firehouse convention.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: June 4th, 2020, 8:14 pm
Bob pushed for a convention in a Lynchburg/Campbell County church. Denver wanted a firehouse convention.
Well that’s not all that helpful. :D :D
What’s the difference? I’d say a Lynchburg/Campbell site favors Good
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 4th, 2020, 8:37 pm In my opinion Riggleman hurt his chances when he performed that wedding of 2 men.
Why? Was it illegal?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 4th, 2020, 9:05 pm You are old enough to know a marriage should be between a man and a woman.
That doesn’t answer my question. Is what he did illegal?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
The decision of a convention to select the party nominee is made “above” the candidates by a regional committee. Early on, DR expressed no real disagreement to it. Only when challenged did he suddenly become aware of his vulnerability. It was sloppy on his part.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 6th, 2020, 9:12 am The decision of a convention to select the party nominee is made “above” the candidates by a regional committee. Early on, DR expressed no real disagreement to it. Only when challenged did he suddenly become aware of his vulnerability. It was sloppy on his part.
Well that would make since. Why go to the expense of a Primary if there is no real challenger? If there’s a legit challenger, and Bob Good is no Vermin Supreme, then there should be a Primary. I would not be surprised if Bob wins the nomination but loses the General
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 6th, 2020, 11:21 am
JK37 wrote: June 6th, 2020, 9:12 am The decision of a convention to select the party nominee is made “above” the candidates by a regional committee. Early on, DR expressed no real disagreement to it. Only when challenged did he suddenly become aware of his vulnerability. It was sloppy on his part.
Well that would make since. Why go to the expense of a Primary if there is no real challenger? If there’s a legit challenger, and Bob Good is no Vermin Supreme, then there should be a Primary. I would not be surprised if Bob wins the nomination but loses the General
I think Riggleman would be much more appealing to the mainstream than Bob would be.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Johnathan Falwell supports Good I believe. You guys send someone dependable who wants to bring jobs back from China to our area, plz!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: June 6th, 2020, 4:05 pm
Purple Haize wrote: June 6th, 2020, 11:21 am
I think Riggleman would be much more appealing to the mainstream than Bob would be.
I’m not sure you are wrong. And I’m just looking from the outside here. Seems having a Convention with delegates in Lynchburg would favor Good over Denver. Whereas a Primary with people voting all over the District world favor Denver. Good seems to have an easier task with name recognition locally getting people to be delegates for him as opposed to getting people to drive all over from hells half acre to be here. A handful of dedicated supporters can secure you this nomination but might lose you the election
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: June 6th, 2020, 4:26 pm Johnathan Falwell supports Good I believe. You guys send someone dependable who wants to bring jobs back from China to our area, plz!
Republicans are controlled by conservative money. Conservative money loves profits. Profits dictate cheap labor. Cheap labor means China, Viet Nam, etc. Republicans are greedy my friend, and have no problem exploiting others.
adam42381, ATrain liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: June 7th, 2020, 7:43 pm
TH Spangler wrote: June 6th, 2020, 4:26 pm Johnathan Falwell supports Good I believe. You guys send someone dependable who wants to bring jobs back from China to our area, plz!
Republicans are controlled by conservative money. Conservative money loves profits. Profits dictate cheap labor. Cheap labor means China, Viet Nam, etc. Republicans are greedy my friend, and have no problem exploiting others.
And profits are used to employ people. No one has ever got a job from a poor man. Our current President doesn't look like he wants our jobs to go overseas. obama promised to stop outsourcing jobs to China, etc. but didn't do a dang thing. I remember telling my wife, if I thought he really meant it, I would vote for him. But I knew he was lying and so did he. I was particularly interested in that subject, because I was in charge of moving 100's of millions of $ of work to China and Mexico. I hated it, I personally lost 2 high-paying jobs because of it. There is only one political party doing anything to move jobs back to the US, and it is not the Dumb-as-craps. 8)
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
That's why Romney, Bush, Clinton and Obama are crying from the sideline. They did nothing but go along when it was their turn.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... story.html
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: June 8th, 2020, 2:14 am
And profits are used to employ people. No one has ever got a job from a poor man. Our current President doesn't look like he wants our jobs to go overseas. obama promised to stop outsourcing jobs to China, etc. but didn't do a dang thing. I remember telling my wife, if I thought he really meant it, I would vote for him. But I knew he was lying and so did he. I was particularly interested in that subject, because I was in charge of moving 100's of millions of $ of work to China and Mexico. I hated it, I personally lost 2 high-paying jobs because of it. There is only one political party doing anything to move jobs back to the US, and it is not the Dumb-as-craps. 8)
Profits are not used to employ people. They are how a company pays dividends, which in turn encourages investment. We can all blame each other. Anyone with a retirement or a stock portfolio has a hand in the overseas job market. If you think one party is better than the other on this, you have your head in the sand. Couple the profit seeking with a crappy work ethic and you've got a situation that will be difficult for any mainline party to reverse. Don't forget, when Rome was in decline, they were outsourcing quite a bit, as well.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I might have my head in the sand but what I'm hearing is .... jobs, jobs, jobs for Americans from Trump. And job, jobs jobs for communist Chinese from Joe and Hunter.
flameshaw liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: June 8th, 2020, 8:56 am I might have my head in the sand but what I'm hearing is .... jobs, jobs, jobs for Americans from Trump. And job, jobs jobs for communist Chinese from Joe and Hunter.
Truth.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: June 8th, 2020, 7:41 am
flameshaw wrote: June 8th, 2020, 2:14 am

Profits are not used to employ people.
They are how a company pays dividends, which in turn encourages investment. We can all blame each other. Anyone with a retirement or a stock portfolio has a hand in the overseas job market. If you think one party is better than the other on this, you have your head in the sand. Couple the profit seeking with a crappy work ethic and you've got a situation that will be difficult for any mainline party to reverse. Don't forget, when Rome was in decline, they were outsourcing quite a bit, as well.
I sure am glad you didn't graduate from the same school I did. Why do companies lay off people when profits decline? It is one of the fastest ways to help the bottom line. The only other thing that comes close is to lower the price of your incoming purchased materials and services. You do realize that most companies don't pay dividends?
I know I can't say this respectfully, but please be assured I am trying. The "profits are not used to employ people" statement, is probably the most ignorant comment ever made on this forum. 8)
tyndal23 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I just hope all Republican candidates hit the campaign trail, and meet the voters. In the past they mostly "hung around" people who they knew would vote for them. In an election you have to go after all voters, Republican, Democrat ,Independent and the "undecided".
That's what our President did in 2016. I still think Jeb Bush might could have beat Trump, if he had done anything, other than blow 30 million dollars, doing nothing. Bush should have been aggressive from day 1.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 8th, 2020, 4:00 pm I just hope all Republican candidates hit the campaign trail, and meet the voters. In the past they mostly "hung around" people who they knew would vote for them. In an election you have to go after all voters, Republican, Democrat ,Independent and the "undecided".
That's what our President did in 2016. I still think Jeb Bush might could have beat Trump, if he had done anything, other than blow 30 million dollars, doing nothing. Bush should have been aggressive from day 1.
Being aggressive is easier said than done when you are "Low Energy Jeb".
Purple Haize liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
If Good gets the nomination, my family will not vote for him. I have a few dozen aunts/uncles/cousins in the area, plus my own parents, grandparents and siblings, all in the district. Some may not vote, some may write someone in or vote third party, some may even vote Democrat. However, you're looking at around 50 or so votes that won't be going to Bob Good. The district has gone blue before, and it could do so again.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Just wanted to chime in to say that money you spend on worker salary isn’t part of “profit.” To put it at a very basic level, profit would consist of money from sales minus the costs. The costs include employment wages.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: June 8th, 2020, 5:42 pm Just wanted to chime in to say that money you spend on worker salary isn’t part of “profit.” To put it at a very basic level, profit would consist of money from sales minus the costs. The costs include employment wages.
While technically true, it is still impossible to pay employees without profit, no matter where it is reflected on the balance sheet. Can't work.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]