This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 9:14 am
TH Spangler wrote: June 14th, 2020, 8:51 am Purple if I lived in Virginia I think I would trust Good to defend my churchs religious freedom more than the other guy. But that's me. You're more woke than I :lol:
I fear that a more marginalized candidate will not play well in a broader election and will be much less effective. I'm not opposed to a solid believer being involved in politics, but I will not vote on moral values only since we live in a very diverse country and no matter how strongly felt my value are, they don't apply to all. I hope Bob process different, but if predict a tough battle against a moderate democracy and no more than a single term if he does succeed. We need less polar divisions in our country rather than more.
Imagine a world where actual voters got to decide who they wanted to be their nominee......
ATrain, thepostman liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Extra steps to nominating? Anyone who is a republican may vote to nominate a republican. They simply have to register with the convention as a republican delegate. It avoids having members of other parties interfere in the nomination process.

And be that as it may, all candidates for the nomination were fully aware of the process. It’s not one that changed at the 11th hour. It’s been this way for awhile. So all involved had equal opportunity to inform their constituencies of what needed to be done. The only inequality I see was in the resources available. The losing candidate outspent the winner 10-to-1 and still couldn’t come out on top. What do you say as an incumbent who spent 10x the money and still couldn’t come out on top?

I guess you grasp at the only straws that’s left. It’s rigged! Because nothing else is left.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Lets see...only one place to vote in a district that is larger in land area than 6 states (Rhode Island, Connecticut, New Jersey, Vermont, New Hampshire, Delaware), and it happens to be the winning candidate's hometown.

It was legal, but that doesn't make it right.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 11:10 am Extra steps to nominating? Anyone who is a republican may vote to nominate a republican. They simply have to register with the convention as a republican delegate. It avoids having members of other parties interfere in the nomination process.

And be that as it may, all candidates for the nomination were fully aware of the process. It’s not one that changed at the 11th hour. It’s been this way for awhile. So all involved had equal opportunity to inform their constituencies of what needed to be done. The only inequality I see was in the resources available. The losing candidate outspent the winner 10-to-1 and still couldn’t come out on top. What do you say as an incumbent who spent 10x the money and still couldn’t come out on top?

I guess you grasp at the only straws that’s left. It’s rigged! Because nothing else is left.
I had no idea how to become a delegate. It wasn’t till I posted a few weeks ago I even knew what was going on. And I’m probably above average in involvement. Even this past week people were still unaware that you had to have been a delegate to vote yesterday. You know what I do know how to do? Go to the place I always vote, show my id so they can check me off the roll and I cast my vote.
Good did what he needed to do to get the delegates to win the nomination. But there is no way you can say if it is or is not reflective of the will of Republicans in VA05. He played the system better than Denver and became the nominee. I’m not a fan of Denver talking about irregularities and ballot stuffing nor a fan of Bobby talking about his 15 years in athletics and that’s what losers say. There’s a very real chance this seat flips. And it serves the RPV right. Win the battle and lose the war

The fun will continue with the BOE reviewing Good appeal for filing late paperwork. I’d expect Riggleman to fight that one hard. Then what happens? Riggleman has the paperwork in and could be added. This is all such a bad look
By Jonathan Carone
It shouldn’t take extra steps to vote. You shouldn’t have to leave your district to vote even in a primary.

I know you (JK) are close with Bob, but you guys are sending the wrong message. It shouldn’t be about how anyone could’ve signed up to be a delegate. You’re blaming the voters then. You should show empathy that we believe everyone should’ve had the chance to vote but the rules were set before we entered the race. We had to play by the rules given to us. That would unite the party faster and give Bob a chance in the actual election.
ATrain liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 14th, 2020, 11:44 am It shouldn’t take extra steps to vote. You shouldn’t have to leave your district to vote even in a primary.

I know you (JK) are close with Bob, but you guys are sending the wrong message. It shouldn’t be about how anyone could’ve signed up to be a delegate. You’re blaming the voters then. You should show empathy that we believe everyone should’ve had the chance to vote but the rules were set before we entered the race. We had to play by the rules given to us. That would unite the party faster and give Bob a chance in the actual election.
From my understanding of 2 weeks of looking into it there was a proposal to make it a traditional primary but the Good campaign was against it
ATrain liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 14th, 2020, 11:50 am So it was delegate when Bob got in the primary then Riggleman wanted to change the rules once he was losing?
That’s one version I heard. I also heard there was some chicanery with the Delegate selectors or something. Or that the Committee who made the final decision was paid by Good Not bribed but worked for him. Really murky and sketchy. The details got my head swimming but it seemed like a lot of back room dealing.
ATrain liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 14th, 2020, 11:44 am It shouldn’t take extra steps to vote. You shouldn’t have to leave your district to vote even in a primary.

I disagree, and I don’t hear anyone mentioning voters.

Seems to me the message sent was that DR didn’t represent the entire district. Campbell and Bedford and others south of Charlottesville weren’t pleased with his first year. His original ascension to power was questionable even then. So they found their man this time and ran him. And then to add insult to injury, they gathered a considerable amount of delegates from the incumbent’s backyard.

This was a nomination, not an election. It was a convention, not a primary. DR played it very poorly from all sides, and now he’s crying foul because it’s all he has left.

The process is determined by a committee. No one is “blaming the voters”.

DR barely won the nomination two years ago. Then (apparently, I’m just guessing here.) proceeded to disenfranchise that committee (as well as a significant numbers of delegates in the district). Because when he realized he was in trouble, he appealed to that committee to change the nominating system. And it didn’t change.

I think there should be very real concern in BG’s camp that staunch DR supporters stay home in November because they feel shafted by the process. Step 1 of getting the nomination is done. Step 2 to bringing the conservative movement of the district together begins now. DR has said he won’t endorse BG. I suppose we will see if that matters.

DR was nominated by a single vote on the fourth committee ballot two years ago because it was so late in the game a convention couldn’t be organized in time. From the moment he won the election, he should’ve been building his base in the district because he was a complete unknown to much of it.

When such a process back then got him into power, I didn’t hear him crying foul then. Why now?

Bob has a good chance in the election. :wink:
flameshaw liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Did you not read my explanation as to why you can’t compare 2018 and 2020?
I have a big aversion of elections being decided by Committee when there’s an option of having it done by voters.
You are right, there are going to be a lot of people staying home or not voting for BG who voted for DR. I very well might be one of them.
And you did blame voters when you said “anyone could become a delegate”. Really? How? As I said I had no idea how. Didn’t even realize it was a thing. So you are saying it’s my fault that I didn’t register to be a Delegate. After already registering to be a voter. The fact that BG supporters have to do gymnastics then blame voters speaks volumes. The fact that The Committee did a horrible job informing Republicans about the process of becoming a delegate speaks volumes about their ineptness.
ATrain liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: June 14th, 2020, 1:00 pm When me and Haize agree on politics and messaging you know something is up.
Yeah. I’m totally reevaluating my position :D
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I wasn’t comparing to ‘18 as much as stating prep for ‘20 should’ve started in ‘18.

Honestly curious, Haize. Are you a registered Republican, or just registered to vote?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 1:28 pm I wasn’t comparing to ‘18 as much as stating prep for ‘20 should’ve started in ‘18.

Honestly curious, Haize. Are you a registered Republican, or just registered to vote?
Registered Republican. But that will be changing after 2020
ATrain liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 14th, 2020, 1:31 pm
JK37 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 1:28 pm I wasn’t comparing to ‘18 as much as stating prep for ‘20 should’ve started in ‘18.

Registered Republican. But that will be changing after 2020
Come to the Libertarian dark side 8)
thepostman liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I asked then because if that is the case, I’m surprised you’ve never involved yourself in your district’s Republican committee.

I haven’t been a big fan of Riggleman since his failed gubernatorial run or his nomination in ‘18. Bob is one of about six or seven possible challengers that Conservative leaders in the district began considering after a year of Riggleman in the seat. I never thought that Bob would say yes to those leaders who wanted to put him forth as a challenger, but he did. Someone needed to.

It isn’t a perfect system, and there isn’t one. A regular primary favors the guy with the most money, also not a perfect situation. In this case for me, the ends justify the means.

Whoever the dem is on June 23, I don’t foresee an overwhelming amount of conservatives staying home in five months because they’re still butt-hurt over the convention. At worst, most will probably grudgingly go to the polls and vote for a conservative vs. a dem. BG has work ahead. But only the staunchest of Riggleman supporters would shelve their vote. IMO

Maybe DR should run as a libertarian.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 2:04 pm I asked then because if that is the case, I’m surprised you’ve never involved yourself in your district’s Republican committee.

I haven’t been a big fan of Riggleman since his failed gubernatorial run or his nomination in ‘18. Bob is one of about six or seven possible challengers that Conservative leaders in the district began considering after a year of Riggleman in the seat. I never thought that Bob would say yes to those leaders who wanted to put him forth as a challenger, but he did. Someone needed to.

It isn’t a perfect system, and there isn’t one. A regular primary favors the guy with the most money, also not a perfect situation. In this case for me, the ends justify the means.

Whoever the dem is on June 23, I don’t foresee an overwhelming amount of conservatives staying home in five months because they’re still butt-hurt over the convention. At worst, most will probably grudgingly go to the polls and vote for a conservative vs. a dem. BG has work ahead. But only the staunchest of Riggleman supporters would shelve their vote. IMO

Maybe DR should run as a libertarian.
If he did run as a Libertarian, Denver would have the support of my family in the 5th (~50 people) plus a lot of support in the town of Drakes Branch (not sure BG even knows where that is). Also, be careful of an "ends justify the means," mindset - it may work for you today to achieve your goals, but against you tomorrow when someone else is achieving their goals.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
DR probably is more Lib than Republican anyway, so that may be the more honest play at this point. At the root of his loss yesterday are characteristics and issues that were present in his failed gubernatorial bid and it taking four ballots to get him the R nomination for VA-5 two years ago.

Just out of curiosity, why does DR get yours and your family’s vote if he runs Lib?

Like I said, in this instance, I’m ok with ends justifying means.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote: June 14th, 2020, 2:09 pm If he did run as a Libertarian, Denver would have the support of my family in the 5th (~50 people) plus a lot of support in the town of Drakes Branch (not sure BG even knows where that is). Also, be careful of an "ends justify the means," mindset - it may work for you today to achieve your goals, but against you tomorrow when someone else is achieving their goals.
Meant to ask, did you and your family vote in yesterday’s convention?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 2:25 pm
ATrain wrote: June 14th, 2020, 2:09 pm If he did run as a Libertarian, Denver would have the support of my family in the 5th (~50 people) plus a lot of support in the town of Drakes Branch (not sure BG even knows where that is). Also, be careful of an "ends justify the means," mindset - it may work for you today to achieve your goals, but against you tomorrow when someone else is achieving their goals.
Meant to ask, did you and your family vote in yesterday’s convention?
I'm not in the 5th, just born and raised there. Campaigned for Goode a few times back in the day, but my family isn't registered in any party and they vote for the candidate, not the letter beside the name.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, you lost me at the ends justifying the means. Especially when fairly equitable means we’re available
I’ve never been involved because I’ve never been all that connected. No one has ever asked and I couldn’t tell you anyone that is on it. But based on the way the Committee and the powers that be have conducted themselves the last few years I’m not sure I want anything to do with them
ATrain liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 14th, 2020, 2:49 pm Yeah, I figured. That’s why I asked. So, why DR if he’s still in it?
His veteran status and national security background, success in business, and donating part of his salary to the Drakes Branch Volunteer Fire Department following a devastating flood a couple years ago. As far as what he's done in Congress, the push for industrial hemp is huge in helping the farming communities where tobacco used to be king.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Glad to see the staff address the height and athle[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]