This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: February 25th, 2020, 1:32 am For the Flames Club, it has not been decided. Interviews are taking place soon. Mike Hagen and Jeff Alder are the go to people if you need something at this time. Hopefully, one of them will be confirmed to lead the Flames Club as the new Director.
I know them both. IMO Alderrama would be the perfect out front person for the Flames Club and Mike would be the Perfect right hand man. One knows every body who ever went to LU or lived in CVA the other had phenomenal professors when he was a student :D
Baybird liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 4:26 pm I have heard those 2 names, plus one other name, mentioned as possible new Director.
Thank you for adding absolutely nothing to the conversation
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: February 25th, 2020, 5:28 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 4:26 pm I have heard those 2 names, plus one other name, mentioned as possible new Director.
I haven’t heard any names. You’re welcome.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote: February 25th, 2020, 6:00 pm
Purple Haize wrote: February 25th, 2020, 5:28 pm
I haven’t heard any names. You’re welcome.
This is why you are awesome
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: February 26th, 2020, 8:03 am AT one time, before the move of the Flames Club, under the general University Development department, (which is a disaster), Kelvin Edwards was being considered for the position. Kinda interesting, since he has never been a member of the Flames Club. But, he is a friend of Jr's, so I guess that qualifies him.
That is why months ago, I asked what the criteria was for retiring a former players number. The athletic department didn't even know it was happening. They were not part of the decision. (They found out when KE was inviting all of his former teammates and football alum on Facebook, to join him on the field when he had his number retired). The athletic department was also directed to take the university jet to pick up Kelvin in Dallas and then make 3 more stops on the way back to L'burg to pick up some of his friends. Then they demanded 4 hotel SUITES and transportation to and from the stadium. I guess friendship trumps what is best for the university.
I can't imagine how Ian feels about this. He may be ok, but as AD, I would be furious.
Finally, I have heard RD's name surfacing for a position in some capacity. Talking about a disaster. But once again he is a favorite of Falwell's, even though he was campaigning for Jeff Meyer's job, while he was the assistant coach. I was told by a previous AD that he recommended to JM that he fire RD, but he didn't do it.
I could go on and on, but I have said enough right now. Hopefully, we can avoid some of these mistakes and make decisions based on qualifications and what is best for the university, rather than friendships.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: February 26th, 2020, 8:06 am
flameshaw wrote: February 26th, 2020, 8:03 am AT one time, before the move of the Flames Club, under the general University Development department, (which is a disaster), Kelvin Edwards was being considered for the position. Kinda interesting, since he has never been a member of the Flames Club. But, he is a friend of Jr's, so I guess that qualifies him.
That is why months ago, I asked what the criteria was for retiring a former players number. The athletic department didn't even know it was happening. They were not part of the decision. (They found out when KE was inviting all of his former teammates and football alum on Facebook, to join him on the field when he had his number retired). The athletic department was also directed to take the university jet to pick up Kelvin in Dallas and then make 3 more stops on the way back to L'burg to pick up some of his friends. Then they demanded 4 hotel SUITES and transportation to and from the stadium. I guess friendship trumps what is best for the university.
I can't imagine how Ian feels about this. He may be ok, but as AD, I would be furious.
Finally, I have heard RD's name surfacing for a position in some capacity. Talking about a disaster. But once again he is a favorite of Falwell's, even though he was campaigning for Jeff Meyer's job, while he was the assistant coach. I was told by a previous AD that he recommended to JM that he fire RD, but he didn't do it.
I could go on and on, but I have said enough right now. Hopefully, we can avoid some of these mistakes and make decisions based on qualifications and what is best for the university, rather than friendships.
First of all, I'm in total agreement as to the fact that it would be an embarrassment and unmitigated disaster to bring RD back to Liberty in any capacity, and you are spot on regarding his unconscionable disloyalty to the man who gave a HS coach in Alaska the opportunity to be a D1 assistant and later promoted him to Associate HC. He not only "campaigned" for the HC job, he shamelessly criticized JM and took personal credit for the teams successes in conversations with recruits and current Liberty students. I overheard these things myself while working at the university back in the day. He NEVER should have been our HC .

As far as Kelvin and the Flames Club position is concerned, I personally don't think not having been a member would disqualify him any more than being one would qualify someone else. Do we know if Bob Goode was a member before he was hired? Kelvin is an alum, a member of our HOF, and a successful businessman with a background in sales (car dealership). I think we could do a lot worse, but I certainly agree that important hires should not be based soly on friendships. As far as the number retirement, he is deserving IMHO, but I totally agree that it was handled poorly.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Yes i had heard the RD rumors. Barf. I have been holding out on rejoining until i know hes not involved. Total unmitigated disaster and he was also the ring leader on getting players on campus without sharing any of what the school was about. I saw first hand at least 3 pretty big time recruits he had in 02 04 years that had no clue about convo or curfew dress code and were completely kept in the dark and were total nonfits. I believe one was elijah miller the 7 footer transfer from houston but im blanking on his roomates name. The other 2 was a Pf who im blanking on as well. Thats just the couple i remembered.

An absolute joke.
Last edited by jinxy on February 28th, 2020, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: February 26th, 2020, 9:16 pm Yes i had heard the RD rumors. Barf. I have been holding out on rejoining until i know hes not involved. Total unmitigated disaster and he was also the ring leader and getting players on campus without sharing any of what the school was about. I saw first hand at least 3 pretty big time recruits he had in 02 04 years that had no clue about convo or curfew dress code and were completely kept in the dark and were total nonfits. I believe one was elijah miller the 7 footer transfer was houston but im blanking on his roomates name. The other 2 was a Pf who im blanking on as well. Thats just the couple i remembered.

An absolute joke.
Absolutely, or giving a player a tour of the campus, then going into the Vines Center for prayer and during the prayer mentioning we didn't have a scholarship for him, but prayed he would join up as a walk on. I could go on and on. Character is more important than friendship. Campaigning for your boss's job behind his back, is about as low as one can go.
ballcoach15 liked this
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: February 26th, 2020, 9:16 pm Yes i had heard the RD rumors. Barf. I have been holding out on rejoining until i know hes not involved. Total unmitigated disaster and he was also the ring leader on getting players on campus without sharing any of what the school was about. I saw first hand at least 3 pretty big time recruits he had in 02 04 years that had no clue about convo or curfew dress code and were completely kept in the dark and were total nonfits. I believe one was elijah miller the 7 footer transfer from houston but im blanking on his roomates name. The other 2 was a Pf who im blanking on as well. Thats just the couple i remembered.

An absolute joke.
He had quite the mouth on the court as well. I employed the cheerleading coach for a while and he got me seats down with his team because I didn't believe some of his stories about RD's vulgarity.
Yes, it was quite vulgar and several times he seemed out of control. I would rather see all our teams do poorly than to start backfilling positions with folks that lack character.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I didn’t know where to put this so I just bumped this.
I may be late to the Party but I just found out I cannot vote in the VA05 Republican Primary. That’s an absolute load of :BS Apparently it’s a “Convention “ where Delegates vote for the Republican nominee. Did I mention thats :BS
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 10:31 pm I didn’t know where to put this so I just bumped this.
I may be late to the Party but I just found out I cannot vote in the VA05 Republican Primary. That’s an absolute load of :BS Apparently it’s a “Convention “ where Delegates vote for the Republican nominee. Did I mention thats :BS
A convention or a primary are both legal ways of nominating a Rep. for District 5. I might be mistaken, but Riggleman was nominated by a convention 2 years ago. Don't know how/who determines a convention or primary. It does seem kinda strange.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 3rd, 2020, 11:27 pm Everyone in my family is a delegate in this convention.
I had heard something about Delegates but wasn’t clear what it meant. It means I can’t vote for my own representation in a close election
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: June 4th, 2020, 7:04 am Last poll I saw Bob had 66% of the delegates. Since I'm in Carolina it's my deal.
I am not even sure how you could become a Delegate. I guess if someone is running unopposed then that’s not a bad way. But in a hotly contested race, it’s ridiculous. There are going to be a lot of surprised people I imagine when they find out they either can’t vote or the person they wanted to vote for didn’t win. I don’t like it one bit. If the candidate who wins was behind it, I’m not voting for them in the General.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 4th, 2020, 9:13 am
TH Spangler wrote: June 4th, 2020, 7:04 am Last poll I saw Bob had 66% of the delegates. Since I'm in Carolina it's my deal.
I am not even sure how you could become a Delegate. I guess if someone is running unopposed then that’s not a bad way. But in a hotly contested race, it’s ridiculous. There are going to be a lot of surprised people I imagine when they find out they either can’t vote or the person they wanted to vote for didn’t win. I don’t like it one bit. If the candidate who wins was behind it, I’m not voting for them in the General.
I do know a little bit about that. To become a delegate, you had to register with a republican party D5 candidate, either Riggleman or Good. I am told that Good has 62% of the delegates that signed up with his campaign. Nonetheless, they are not required to vote for him. They can change their mind up to the convention vote. It depends on who you listen to, if either candidate influenced the committee to make the decision to do a primary or a convention. As I understand it, Riggleman endorsed a convention last time, but opposes it now. I do know for sure that Riggleman was calling people before the decision was made to go to convention and seeking their support. He was telling his supporters that they were way ahead in the delegate count, etc. etc. He has not run a truthful campaign, in several ways. He knows he has a good chance of losing and is pulling out all the stops. All I can say is that I have supported Bob Good financially and as a volunteer to his campaign for two reasons. One, he has always been professional and honest with me, even on the few occasions we disagreed. He hasn't called Trump a "buffoon" like Riggleman did. And finally a certain university president is endorsing Riggleman, due to personal favors. I know a lot more, but will try to remain a gentleman regarding my remarks. As a side note, when Riggleman left the A-Sun Championship game, (which is another story in itself), he walked right by me and I yelled to him to be sure he voted for Bob Good. He didn't take too kindly to my suggestion. :)
ballcoach15 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
It’s a convention for the party nomination, but a vote for the representative who goes to DC, correct?

Seems to me Riggleman assumes a lot early and relaxed. Plus, the way he was elected for his first term was a joke.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 4th, 2020, 2:13 pm It’s a convention for the party nomination, but a vote for the representative who goes to DC, correct?

Seems to me Riggleman assumes a lot early and relaxed. Plus, the way he was elected for his first term was a joke.
He had a pretty hard fought battle with the Dem nominee. Not sure what the joke was about this.
As a member of the Republican Party I’d like to have a say as to who I would like be the nominee. I’m not sure why Riggleman is being Primaried but that’s me.
So who’s idea was it for this to be decided via Convention?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 4th, 2020, 2:13 pm It’s a convention for the party nomination, but a vote for the representative who goes to DC, correct?

Correct the convention is to nominate the republican party representative to run in Nov. against the democrat. There is a much more detailed answer to your last sentence, but you are correct about the joke comment.
I have been wondering, if based on the events of the last week or so, if Riggleman was going to denounce Jr's endorsement. Now that would be interesting. Seems like he is in a no win situation regarding that endorsement right now.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: June 4th, 2020, 9:13 am
I can argue both sides. Ultimately, a good candidate who is "electable" should be chosen. I have seen it go both ways.

FWIW - I was elected as a delegate in another state. 8)
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I dont know that much about it. I'm a registered independent and only vote the general. But I think you contact the candidate you support and volunteer????
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: