This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 5:09 pm
stokesjokes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 4:49 pm The thing that hasn’t been addressed from Tnobes and Ballcoach in this thread is this:

The choice to take the Bible literally is an interpretive choice, and, frankly, a lazy one.

(How’s that for a pot stirrer?)
Except that God meant for it to be read and understood without a guru needing to tell you what it says. The Bible is Crystal clear. I find it funny that someone says they believe the Bible, but they believe that God lies in it. It's very interesting
The Bible is crystal clear, got it. So should I answer a fool according to his folly?
ballcoach15 liked this
By Tnobes
stokesjokes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 5:12 pm
stokesjokes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 4:49 pm The thing that hasn’t been addressed from Tnobes and Ballcoach in this thread is this:

The choice to take the Bible literally is an interpretive choice, and, frankly, a lazy one.

Except that God meant for it to be read and understood without a guru needing to tell you what it says. The Bible is Crystal clear. I find it funny that someone says they believe the Bible, but they believe that God lies in it. It's very interesting
The Bible is crystal clear, got it. So should I answer a fool according to his folly?
https://lifehopeandtruth.com/relationsh ... overbs-26/ there are zero contradictions in the Bible
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 5:42 pm

https://lifehopeandtruth.com/relationsh ... overbs-26/ there are zero contradictions in the Bible
Did anyone say there were???
By Tnobes

By Tnobes
ATrain wrote: January 6th, 2020, 5:43 pm
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 5:42 pm

Did anyone say there were???
Yes, the dude who thought he was cute by asking if you should answer a fool according to his folly, was implying that the Bible gives two different answers on it
Nobody is saying the Bible isn't reliable. What you have been saying is your interpretation of the Bible is the only right interpretation and that if we see certain issues differently, like apparantly women in leadership roles, then we aren't actually viewing things in a "Christian" way.

I am not saying you and I have to agree. The issue I had is that you claimed your theology is the only "Christian" theology and if a church doesn't support your theology then they must not be a real "Chriatian" church. As long as they preach Jesus is the only way to heaven then they are a Christian church. All the other theology stuff is worth discussing but not worth alienating a large portion of the body of Christ.

I'm sitting in union station typing this really fast on my phone so please excuse any typing errors.
I’m not saying it’s contradictory either, I’m saying it’s not “crystal clear” like you imply. I was proving a point which you happily made for me. You had to do work to interpret what they “mean” beyond the literal face value of what they say.
ATrain liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: January 6th, 2020, 6:58 pm I believe the Bible is written in such a way, that a child can understand it. One doesn't need a Doctorate in Theology to understand what the Bible says.
That is factually inaccurate and I'm sure your own lead pastor would agree with me on that.

Is the concept of salvation easy to understand? I would say yes. But there is plenty of stuff in the Bible that is hard to understand. Just take a look at the book of Revelation. People much smarter than I am are still trying to figure that one out.

God is so much more than we could ever understand and to put Him inside a simplistic box that we create just wouldn't be right.
jbock13, ATrain, rtb72 liked this
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I'm just glad that ballcoach isn't the pastor of my church. Study
If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life lame or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the everlasting fire.
And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.
Matthew 18:8-9

I mean these are pretty straight forward. But I’m wagering you have both eyes, hand and feet. So I’d say some interpretation is needed.

The fact that this guy would take the medical advice of some guy on the street with equal relevance as a world class expert should pretty much end all discussion. Then equate that to getting a second opinion from another expert is beyond belief. I don’t want my plumber fixing my knee and I certainly don’t want my knee surgeon working on my plumbing.

@Jonathan Carone I may be the only Divinity trained drug dealer you know :D
rtb72 liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: January 6th, 2020, 6:58 pm I believe the Bible is written in such a way, that a child can understand it. One doesn't need a Doctorate in Theology to understand what the Bible says.
Children understand Hebrew and Aramaic and Greek? Man, I went to school at the wrong time
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 6th, 2020, 8:47 pm
Children understand Hebrew and Aramaic and Greek? Man, I went to school at the wrong time
Or the wrong place. Gretna is where it's happening! Study
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: January 6th, 2020, 9:47 pm
Or the wrong place. Gretna is where it's happening! Study
If that's the case, what happened to Ballcoach?
Purple Haize liked this
By rtb72
You beat me to it, PH. Additionally, I think we have to yield to the Holy Spirit's direction when we are reading and studying the Bible. It's not just words in a book.....it is a living and breathing text, which requires and deserves more than just "reading" and applies and appeals to each of us based on our personal and intimate relationship with Christ.
By Tnobes
thepostman wrote: January 6th, 2020, 5:57 pm Nobody is saying the Bible isn't reliable. What you have been saying is your interpretation of the Bible is the only right interpretation and that if we see certain issues differently, like apparantly women in leadership roles, then we aren't actually viewing things in a "Christian" way.

I am not saying you and I have to agree. The issue I had is that you claimed your theology is the only "Christian" theology and if a church doesn't support your theology then they must not be a real "Chriatian" church. As long as they preach Jesus is the only way to heaven then they are a Christian church. All the other theology stuff is worth discussing but not worth alienating a large portion of the body of Christ.

I'm sitting in union station typing this really fast on my phone so please excuse any typing errors.
I never claimed any theology, I said read the Bible for what it says. And claiming Jesus is the only way to heaven is not the only thing that makes a church a Christian Church.
By Tnobes
Purple Haize wrote: January 6th, 2020, 8:46 pm If your hand or foot causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you. It is better for you to enter into life lame or maimed, rather than having two hands or two feet, to be cast into the everlasting fire.
And if thine eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: it is better for thee to enter into life with one eye, rather than having two eyes to be cast into hell fire.
Matthew 18:8-9

I mean these are pretty straight forward. But I’m wagering you have both eyes, hand and feet. So I’d say some interpretation is needed.

The fact that this guy would take the medical advice of some guy on the street with equal relevance as a world class expert should pretty much end all discussion. Then equate that to getting a second opinion from another expert is beyond belief. I don’t want my plumber fixing my knee and I certainly don’t want my knee surgeon working on my plumbing.

@Jonathan Carone I may be the only Divinity trained drug dealer you know :D
That passage doesn't need any interpretation, it says what you should do. And if someone is an expert then you don't need any other opinions so again why would you get a second opinion by your own argument? Also if someone is an expert then that means they know everything and never make a mistake, I've never met a human like that yet. You can listen to experts, I'll listen to God
By Tnobes
thepostman wrote: January 6th, 2020, 8:03 pm
That is factually inaccurate and I'm sure your own lead pastor would agree with me on that.

Is the concept of salvation easy to understand? I would say yes. But there is plenty of stuff in the Bible that is hard to understand. Just take a look at the book of Revelation. People much smarter than I am are still trying to figure that one out.

God is so much more than we could ever understand and to put Him inside a simplistic box that we create just wouldn't be right.
Except that God put Himself into that "box" (the Bible) so we could understand Him. And what word are you having trouble with on revelation? Perhaps I could send you a dictionary
By Tnobes
They believe you need a guru to tell you what it says, and fortunately for us they are the gurus, you probably shouldn't even own a Bible, just listen to what a pastor tells you and never read for yourself. pretty much the opposite of the Reformation
By Tnobes
rtb72 wrote: January 6th, 2020, 10:14 pm
You beat me to it, PH. Additionally, I think we have to yield to the Holy Spirit's direction when we are reading and studying the Bible. It's not just words in a book.....it is a living and breathing text, which requires and deserves more than just "reading" and applies and appeals to each of us based on our personal and intimate relationship with Christ.
I wonder what God meant by "in the beginning"? That's a doozy, Maybe an expert could tell me how to interpret that? Maybe Bill Clinton can tell me what the meaning of the word "is" is
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]