This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

That’s your response? A Search Engine question? I have no idea where those answers came from nor a reference to 1800
By rtb72
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 2:57 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 6th, 2020, 2:52 pm
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 2:41 pm

Before 1800 everyone believed Paul was the author of Hebrews, John carone or whatever his name is said that they were all wrong
No they didn’t. Where did you come up with that? There was a moderately sized dispute between the Eastern and Western church about its author validity and relation to the “Other Hebrews”
Words escape me, right now......
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 2:41 pm Before 1800 everyone believed Paul was the author of Hebrews, John carone or whatever his name is said that they were all wrong
I never said it wasn't Paul who wrote Hebrews. I said we don't know who it was and implied there are scholars who think it was Priscilla.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Yikes, this thread is a complete disaster. The amateur theologizing was too hard to endure, couldn't make it through.

It could have been a good discussion, but Ballcoach pretty much makes that impossible these days.
SumItUp, Purple Haize liked this
By Tnobes
Someone could "think" it's Barney the dinosaur, does someone being a "scholar" make their take more legitimate? I think that is an appeal to authority fallacy, a biblical scholars opinion means no more than a plumbers opinion, the only thing that matters is facts. Do we have facts that Priscilla wrote Hebrews? If not speculation is pointless
By Tnobes
ALUmnus wrote: January 6th, 2020, 3:28 pm Yikes, this thread is a complete disaster. The amateur theologizing was too hard to endure, couldn't make it through.

It could have been a good discussion, but Ballcoach pretty much makes that impossible these days.
For the record I have seminary training and majored in biblical and theological studies but that doesn't make my opinion anymore valid than the ups driver's, people need to read for themselves, I put zero stock in anyone's schooling or degree on anything, I don't care about a surgeons schooling or degree, I care about what they have done in the operating room, I'll take a surgeon who has performed thousands of successful surgeries with limited formal school than a decorated surgeon who has performed zero surgeries, the more school you attend the more foolish you become
Last edited by Tnobes on January 6th, 2020, 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 3:34 pm
ALUmnus wrote: January 6th, 2020, 3:28 pm Yikes, this thread is a complete disaster. The amateur theologizing was too hard to endure, couldn't make it through.

For the record I have seminary training and majored in biblical and theological studies
Name the schools. Also, training? As in, started and did not finish? And of whos volition?
By Tnobes
I already named the school and I never said I didn't finish, I did finish the track that I was on. But asking these questions is irrelevant, I've found on Twitter when dealing with atheists on topics when they can't defend their position they start asking for your education and credentials, it's a deflection tactic. My track was a two year program, I was not going for a full mdiv. Most mdivs I know are the most liberal Christian's I know
By rtb72
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 3:47 pm I already named the school and I never said I didn't finish, I did finish the track that I was on. But asking these questions is irrelevant, I've found on Twitter when dealing with atheists on topics when they can't defend their position they start asking for your education and credentials, it's a deflection tactic. My track was a two year program, I was not going for a full mdiv. Most mdivs I know are the most liberal Christian's I know
Wow
By Tnobes
rtb72 wrote: January 6th, 2020, 3:50 pm
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 3:47 pm I already named the school and I never said I didn't finish, I did finish the track that I was on. But asking these questions is irrelevant, I've found on Twitter when dealing with atheists on topics when they can't defend their position they start asking for your education and credentials, it's a deflection tactic. My track was a two year program, I was not going for a full mdiv. Most mdivs I know are the most liberal Christian's I know
Wow
What's "wow" about it, it's a troll tactic, instead of debating facts they change the subject, Ricky Gervais did it to me all the time
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 3:34 pm For the record I have seminary training and majored in biblical and theological studies but that doesn't make my opinion anymore valid than the ups driver's,
No. Actually it does. Someone who has trained in and/or studied something has a more valid opinion on that matter than I do.

My wife - an oncology nurse - has a much more valid opinion on cancer than me because of her training and experience.

Haize - a drug dealer - has a more valid opinion than me on what I should take if I were to feel a certain way because of his training and experience.
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 6th, 2020, 4:03 pm
Tnobes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 3:34 pm For the record I have seminary training and majored in biblical and theological studies but that doesn't make my opinion anymore valid than the ups driver's,
No. Actually it does. Someone who has trained in and/or studied something has a more valid opinion on that matter than I do.

My wife - an oncology nurse - has a much more valid opinion on cancer than me because of her training and experience.

Haize - a drug dealer - has a more valid opinion than me on what I should take if I were to feel a certain way because of his training and experience.
But is he a Doctor or Pharmacist ?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 6th, 2020, 4:17 pm

But is he a Doctor or Pharmacist ?
He said drug dealer.
By Tnobes

I fully disagree with this take. But that's ok if you believe that. I wouldn't put more weight in my doctor's words than anyone else's words regarding anything, I take with a grain of salt and research on my own, doctor may be right, may be wrong
By Tnobes
thepostman wrote: January 6th, 2020, 4:40 pm Wait, what? You wouldn't take your Doctor's opinion on your health any more seriously than someone else? This is just getting borderline Scientology crazy now. Think about that statement.
No, I would not. I would take a variety of opinions and then research, I would not put more weight on what the doctor says
By Tnobes
stokesjokes wrote: January 6th, 2020, 4:49 pm The thing that hasn’t been addressed from Tnobes and Ballcoach in this thread is this:

The choice to take the Bible literally is an interpretive choice, and, frankly, a lazy one.

(How’s that for a pot stirrer?)
Except that God meant for it to be read and understood without a guru needing to tell you what it says. The Bible is Crystal clear. I find it funny that someone says they believe the Bible, but they believe that God lies in it. It's very interesting
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-h[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]