This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

TH Spangler wrote: June 13th, 2020, 8:19 am Here's a interesting mix of religion and politics

http://www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/disp_t ... &psid=3619
He’s one person I’ve really found fascinating. His late life change of thinking is something that I think would have catapulted him to incredible prominence. He had a lot of good ideas and started to do a lot of good things. Take out the White Devil and anti Jewish parts of this speech and look at the content and there is some good actionable stuff
On a side note how Denzel didn’t win the Oscar for his portrayal of Malcolm X is one of the greatest mysteries of all time
TH Spangler liked this
This is interesting. ND embraces Mayor Pete and distances itself from Lou Holtz

“I’m thrilled to welcome Pete to the institute and Notre Dame in the coming year. More than ever, we need scholars and public leaders working together, generating the insights that will make democratic institutions stronger and advance the common good in creative and evidence-based ways,” said Meghan Sullivan”......

https://news.nd.edu/news/former-south-b ... ced-study/

Notre Dame distances itself from Lou Holtz after RNC speech

Notre Dame is distancing itself from Lou Holtz after the former coach was critical of Democratic presidential candidate Joe Biden, calling him a “Catholic in name only,” .......

https://nypost.com/2020/08/28/notre-dam ... nc-speech/
ballcoach15 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 7:14 pm Apparently ND is worse than I thought. Lou Holtz is a class act. That Pete Buttleig guy is a homosexual. I can't believe ND would have anything to do with him, or any other homosexual.
He WAS the Mayor of South Bend. So there’s THAT tie in.
everyone is religious. in the US if you consider yourself irreligious, that usually means politics and the state are your religions. what we tend to see in our Christian circles is politic-creep. Its inevitable but when you have pastors talking about a hurting nation and needing healing and people need to be loved and after the service out in the parking lot the guy in the MAGA hat is like our pastor is turning into a libtard! you know too much politic-creep has happened there. I made up that example but I can tell with a few of my friends this is something they struggle with.

politics seeps into every aspect of your life. many of those issues are moral issues. gvt and laws are guided morality rules. and when your morality is tied to your religion its impossible to separate the two.

So enter trump who just a decade ago likely most republicans would of placed him in the liberal celebrity camp. I think he's caused many to allow politic creep to seep in way more than usual as a defense mechanism to the growth of progressivism. Many christians I know know that trump is a scumbag but ultimately he politically aligns with them way more than joe biden and really any progressive candidate.

I just think its amazing that "he's a liar" is something that latch onto when talking politics. politicians lie to us all the time. He's no different. I don't think you can be different in a presidential position.

RE: CT I mean hasn't this website been a progressive rag for a while now?
RubberMallet wrote: August 31st, 2020, 10:14 am everyone is religious. in the US if you consider yourself irreligious, that usually means politics and the state are your religions. what we tend to see in our Christian circles is politic-creep. Its inevitable but when you have pastors talking about a hurting nation and needing healing and people need to be loved and after the service out in the parking lot the guy in the MAGA hat is like our pastor is turning into a libtard! you know too much politic-creep has happened there. I made up that example but I can tell with a few of my friends this is something they struggle with.

politics seeps into every aspect of your life. many of those issues are moral issues. gvt and laws are guided morality rules. and when your morality is tied to your religion its impossible to separate the two.

So enter trump who just a decade ago likely most republicans would of placed him in the liberal celebrity camp. I think he's caused many to allow politic creep to seep in way more than usual as a defense mechanism to the growth of progressivism. Many christians I know know that trump is a scumbag but ultimately he politically aligns with them way more than joe biden and really any progressive candidate.

I just think its amazing that "he's a liar" is something that latch onto when talking politics. politicians lie to us all the time. He's no different. I don't think you can be different in a presidential position.

RE: CT I mean hasn't this website been a progressive rag for a while now?
Some of the lying might be better described as, spinning or political posturing. But it's still lying. Talking about political creep, how about in sports. ESPN, NBC especially.
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 31st, 2020, 10:40 am A church in my hometown put up a banner with Keep America Great on it in their front yard and suggested other churches do the same.
And?

It's strange to me how "black lives matter" is considered to be something we can and should consider a given despite the nefarious goals of the BLM organization, while "keep America great" is somehow controversial.
alienating those in opposition to you forfeits any opportunity to influence a mind change. slashing your position of influence by effectively 50% is a huge misstep. This is why Tim Keller is one of my heros.
ballcoach15 wrote: August 29th, 2020, 7:14 pm Apparently ND is worse than I thought. Lou Holtz is a class act. That Pete Buttleig guy is a homosexual. I can't believe ND would have anything to do with him, or any other homosexual.
Good thing that Christ didn't model your line of thinking.
olldflame wrote: August 31st, 2020, 12:01 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 31st, 2020, 10:40 am A church in my hometown put up a banner with Keep America Great on it in their front yard and suggested other churches do the same.
And?

It's strange to me how "black lives matter" is considered to be something we can and should consider a given despite the nefarious goals of the BLM organization, while "keep America great" is somehow controversial.
It's a church completely endorsing a political candidate. IRS issues aside, by being that politically active to go as far as to endorse a candidate before someone can even walk in the door tells people, "If you don't vote the way we do, you're not welcome here." It puts politics above the gospel.
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 31st, 2020, 12:13 pm
And?

It's a church completely endorsing a political candidate. IRS issues aside, by being that politically active to go as far as to endorse a candidate before someone can even walk in the door tells people, "If you don't vote the way we do, you're not welcome here." It puts politics above the gospel.
Why have either sign or publicly endorse either group?
Purple Haize wrote: August 31st, 2020, 12:18 pm

And?

Exactly! That's not what church is for.
JK37, lynchburgwildcats liked this
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 31st, 2020, 12:24 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 31st, 2020, 12:18 pm

Exactly! That's not what church is for.
Would it be appropriate for a church to post a sign supporting "pro life" organizations.
I don't think it'd be appropriate to post a sign outside the church advocating for any external organization that could cause division.

Inside your church or in your messaging when you can explain the relationship then by all means, platform the organization. Doing it before people get in your building and get to know your church robs you of a potential opportunity to share the Gospel.

Walking into a church for the first time is scary.

Walking in when you know they believe different than you and think they're going to judge you for your beliefs is terrifying.

We need to make it as easy and welcoming as possible for people to walk in our front doors.
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 31st, 2020, 2:00 pm I don't think it'd be appropriate to post a sign outside the church advocating for any external organization that could cause division.

Inside your church or in your messaging when you can explain the relationship then by all means, platform the organization. Doing it before people get in your building and get to know your church robs you of a potential opportunity to share the Gospel.

Walking into a church for the first time is scary.

Walking in when you know they believe different than you and think they're going to judge you for your beliefs is terrifying.

We need to make it as easy and welcoming as possible for people to walk in our front doors.
It’s a good way to drive people away from even consider walking in the door as well, which frankly seems counterproductive. Especially when it’s in favor of a President who only uses religion as a prop to advance his political career.
thepostman wrote: September 23rd, 2020, 2:24 pm My wife sent it to me to read over but haven't gotten the chance. Been slammed with work but am looking forward to checking it out.
The one I'm talking about hasn't come out yet. They're thinking tomorrow or Friday. One of my friends is on the team that's building out the website post for it. He said it'll take about two hours to read through the entire thing.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]