This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Alright, so I know this forum has board game nuts on here. What are some of your recent favorites and why?
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i would rather watch impeachment proceedings than ever have to play boardgames. I can play card games and generally enjoy such activities. Anything with a board is awful and I have to be forced to participate.

my biggest issue is getting stuck playing board games with the kind of people who REALLY like board games. they are typically insufferable.

there is one game called wits and wagers where its basically gambling that i have been known to enjoy here or there in the right company.

This is probably not the interaction you were looking for.
By Class of 20Something
ALUmnus wrote: December 11th, 2019, 1:26 pm Alright, so I know this forum has board game nuts on here. What are some of your recent favorites and why?
Chinatown.

You play individually but if you don’t play well and trade with others, you will lose.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The only thing I know about board games is that one of my former students (and quiz bowlers) owns MEEPLES, which is a business over near Lowes to go play board games in public and drink coffee or tea with friends. And they have over 300 board games! Has anybody been there?

https://www.facebook.com/usmeeples/
By cdbilton
Registration Days Posts
Some aren't necessarily "board games", but these are what we play when we get together as a family:

Ticket to Ride (all of the country variations)
Codenames
Blokus
Scotland Yard
Guillotine
The Great Dalmuti
Munchkin
Exploding Kittens
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I stick to the classics: Monopoly (played the way its mean to be, i.e. auctioning off properties if you land on one and don't want to buy it), Risk, Trivial Pursuit, Chess
By Class of 20Something
Cider Jim wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:27 pm The only thing I know about board games is that one of my former students (and quiz bowlers) owns MEEPLES, which is a business over near Lowes to go play board games in public and drink coffee or tea with friends. And they have over 300 board games! Has anybody been there?

Is that the one across from iron and ale?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: December 11th, 2019, 3:27 pm The only thing I know about board games is that one of my former students (and quiz bowlers) owns MEEPLES, which is a business over near Lowes to go play board games in public and drink coffee or tea with friends. And they have over 300 board games! Has anybody been there?

Clearly I'm a nerd but man that place looks awesome.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
We love the carcassonne board game. Haven't played it in the while but it is a fun, fairly quick game we can play after the kids are in bed.
By CCWMichael
thepostman wrote: December 11th, 2019, 7:06 pm We love the carcassonne board game. Haven't played it in the while but it is a fun, fairly quick game we can play after the kids are in bed.
Just did a You Tube .... I like it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, it's a lot of fun. There are also expansion packs which adds complexity and strategy to it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: December 11th, 2019, 6:08 pm Is that the one across from iron and ale?
It's been in a few different locations. It started downtown, moved somewhere else, and now it's beside Lowe's (and behind KFC) off of Greenview.
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]