This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 25th, 2019, 3:02 pm I retired. I didn't leave the Army and go join the Air Force.
With all due respect, you really lack any common semse when it comes to what people are looking for in a work environment. There are some here who work for LU because they are committed to a vision that was cast 30 to 40 years ago. Those who need to get more from their job, like a competitive wage and an employment situation in which they are valued rarely stay at Liberty. My school has hired plenty of people who have left Liberty despite their love for the school. Different leadership would have probably kept them there. Don' t blame people looking for more opportunity, blame the organization that treats them poorly.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU 57 wrote: October 26th, 2019, 8:38 am
Purple Haize wrote: October 25th, 2019, 7:31 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 25th, 2019, 6:28 pm You guys really should put him on your foe list.
This is more fun.
Never foe him. Your back and forth is too entertaining for the rest of us.
People love watching a person hit a piñata.
By Thirdbase
rogers3 wrote: October 25th, 2019, 10:15 pm
With all due respect, you really lack any common semse when it comes to what people are looking for in a work environment. There are some here who work for LU because they are committed to a vision that was cast 30 to 40 years ago. Those who need to get more from their job, like a competitive wage and an employment situation in which they are valued rarely stay at Liberty. My school has hired plenty of people who have left Liberty despite their love for the school. Different leadership would have probably kept them there. Don' t blame people looking for more opportunity, blame the organization that treats them poorly.
Bingo. That’s why the grass IS always greener. The latest example of poor treatment: faculty are getting pay cuts if they were given a class section with low enrollment.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Thirdbase wrote: October 26th, 2019, 11:25 am
rogers3 wrote: October 25th, 2019, 10:15 pm
Bingo. That’s why the grass IS always greener. The latest example of poor treatment: faculty are getting pay cuts if they were given a class section with low enrollment.
Seriously? Than if I was a Professor there I’d only want to teach a Freshman Intro classes
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
LOL, it's funny because my three AP classes I teach have the lowest enrollment out of all the subjects I teach but I get a stipend because teachers in my subject are very hard to find.

I make half of what I made at Apple and I loved my job there, but sometimes people want to go in a different direction. I was happy to retire to another career with a different focus, even if it meant less money.

Some people want more $$, some people want to be valued more, some people want more personal time. The great thing about our society is that we aren't indentured servants for the most part and can choose an employer that best meets our needs.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote: October 26th, 2019, 11:54 am LOL, it's funny because my three AP classes I teach have the lowest enrollment out of all the subjects I teach but I get a stipend because teachers in my subject are very hard to find.

I make half of what I made at Apple and I loved my job there, but sometimes people want to go in a different direction. I was happy to retire to another career with a different focus, even if it meant less money.

Some people want more $$, some people want to be valued more, some people want more personal time. The great thing about our society is that we aren't indentured servants for the most part and can choose an employer that best meets our needs.
I wonder if he realizes that is actually part of what he fought for while he was in the Army???
LUDad wrote: October 31st, 2019, 6:18 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 25th, 2019, 6:28 pm You guys really should put him on your foe list.
This is more fun.
Careful Purple. I think BC is close to my generation. We had one-eyed, one-horned, Purple people eaters. Don't want to tangle with them...
But see there’s a difference. It’s not ageism at al. You put together well reasoned posts. You cite sources and are up for dialogue. When you make a statement you let us know who what when where why....etc
fraudcoach on the other hand just generally talks out of his....
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote: October 31st, 2019, 8:56 pm
LUDad wrote: October 31st, 2019, 6:18 pm

This is more fun.
Careful Purple. I think BC is close to my generation. We had one-eyed, one-horned, Purple people eaters. Don't want to tangle with them...
But see there’s a difference. It’s not ageism at al. You put together well reasoned posts. You cite sources and are up for dialogue. When you make a statement you let us know who what when where why....etc
fraudcoach on the other hand just generally talks out of his....
For the youngsters out there... :D

By Thirdbase
Scott Lamb claiming that “We haven’t gotten complaints from the professors” is a reflection of the administration’s ignorance of what is best for students, their insolence toward the faculty, and their intellectual dishonesty.
Thirdbase wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 3:29 pm Scott Lamb claiming that “We haven’t gotten complaints from the professors” is a reflection of the administration’s ignorance of what is best for students, their insolence toward the faculty, and their intellectual dishonesty.
Because if they complain they won’t get their contracts renewed
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Thirdbase wrote: November 2nd, 2019, 3:29 pm Scott Lamb claiming that “We haven’t gotten complaints from the professors” is a reflection of the administration’s ignorance of what is best for students, their insolence toward the faculty, and their intellectual dishonesty.
The Admin is a clown show, for the most part. Of course, as the boss, Jerry has more going for him than the rest. Most people wouldn't give these folks a glance in the real job market and if they did take a chance on one...well we just saw that happen a couple of months ago.
By 47/5-2
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 25th, 2019, 10:31 am It’s obviously an inside joke between the two. I have no problem with the comment
To become the Academic institution that I think we all want LU to be it needs to hang on to these types of Professors. It needs to ask why they leave and why they can’t attract top talent. The answer is evident but is contrary to the Leaders Philosophy so nothing will change
Purple - This was also underlying in my complaints/frustrations overall. It got applied to your friend to some degree as well (which is/was wrong) just because of my overall frustration with what you have seen happen to something you love. We were part of the same church as Karen when we were still in town and she brought a great deal to that community. While we don't see eye to eye on all things she was/is an expert in her field and the exact type of prof you need at your institution. When people like this choose to leave... take note.
By Thirdbase
47/5-2 wrote: November 15th, 2019, 11:20 am When people like this choose to leave... take note.
Take note, indeed. Prior’s departure is just the beginning of an exodus of excellent professors. The lack of academic freedom, excessive micro-management by inept leadership, and the university’s priority of quantity over quality has produced the worst faculty morale in the school’s history, and that includes the days when payroll couldn’t be met.

In addition to all that, some faculty are getting pay cuts this year because there aren’t enough students to fill seats in many gen-Ed residential courses. New facilities everywhere, yet pay cuts for faculty. Many are trying to get out while they can; unfortunately many will soon receive a non-renewal letter before they can find another institution interested in hiring them. Flame fans... it’s fourth down and twenty for your favorite profs. :|
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Thirdbase wrote: November 16th, 2019, 12:38 pm
47/5-2 wrote: November 15th, 2019, 11:20 am When people like this choose to leave... take note.
Take note, indeed. Prior’s departure is just the beginning of an exodus of excellent professors. The lack of academic freedom, excessive micro-management by inept leadership, and the university’s priority of quantity over quality has produced the worst faculty morale in the school’s history, and that includes the days when payroll couldn’t be met.

In addition to all that, some faculty are getting pay cuts this year because there aren’t enough students to fill seats in many gen-Ed residential courses. New facilities everywhere, yet pay cuts for faculty. Many are trying to get out while they can; unfortunately many will soon receive a non-renewal letter before they can find another institution interested in hiring them. Flame fans... it’s fourth down and twenty for your favorite profs. :|
When payroll couldn’t be met in years past you had people who were much closer and dedicated to the man and his mission. People were willing to endure hardships because they were true believers.
Now....
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 16th, 2019, 7:05 pm
Thirdbase wrote: November 16th, 2019, 12:38 pm

When payroll couldn’t be met in years past you had people who were much closer and dedicated to the man and his mission. People were willing to endure hardships because they were true believers.
Now....
Now, there is no problem meeting payroll, and there is a question amongst many faculty, students, and alumni, as to whether or not the original mission and leadership are aligned like before...
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That is a huge difference. Jerry Falwell had his flaws for sure but he connected with faculty, staff and students. They, for the most part, trusted him and believed in him. It would appear, from the outside looking in, that has shifted quite a bit under the current leadership. Which is a a shame.
By ElmersTwin
thepostman wrote: November 18th, 2019, 8:04 am That is a huge difference. Jerry Falwell had his flaws for sure but he connected with faculty, staff and students. They, for the most part, trusted him and believed in him. It would appear, from the outside looking in, that has shifted quite a bit under the current leadership. Which is a a shame.
I think the key there is that Sr. didn't fully view LU as a business, but more of a mission, whereas Jr. has done the inverse. In the process, faculty and staff support has all but disappeared from the administration offices and it's all about efficiency, keeping enrollment at high numbers, and maximizing profit.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]