This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I don’t believe they’ve had flags at several of their debates
By Jonathan Carone
I think it's just a difference in opinion on displaying the flag. Conservative Americans hold the flag - the physical flag, not the metaphorical meaning of it - higher than most people around the world hold their flag. It's why you see more flags at Republican gatherings than you do Democratic gatherings.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 17th, 2019, 8:19 am I think it's just a difference in opinion on displaying the flag. Conservative Americans hold the flag - the physical flag, not the metaphorical meaning of it - higher than most people around the world hold their flag. It's why you see more flags at Republican gatherings than you do Democratic gatherings.
I disagree with that global assessment. There are plenty of places around the world I’ve been who are pretty proud of their flag. Do Americans rank up there? Certainly. But we are far from alone
By Jonathan Carone
I didn't say we were alone. I said more than most. Your "Do Americans rank up there? Certainly." comment seems to say you actually agree with that.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 17th, 2019, 8:46 am I didn't say we were alone. I said more than most. Your "Do Americans rank up there? Certainly." comment seems to say you actually agree with that.
I was reading the context of your quote. The Democrats seem awfully embarrassed by the Flag. Which is something I’ve rarely if never seen overseas
By Jonathan Carone
I think your ultra progressives are. I can buy it on that end. Not so sure I agree moderate to center left.

For me - a person squarely in the center - I see the flag as a symbol for our values. And like most symbols, I fall in the camp that if you want to display it, go ahead. But if you don’t? No big deal. I’m not embarrassed at all by it, but I also don’t elevate it so high that it’s worshiped.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 17th, 2019, 9:10 am I think your ultra progressives are. I can buy it on that end. Not so sure I agree moderate to center left.

For me - a person squarely in the center - I see the flag as a symbol for our values. And like most symbols, I fall in the camp that if you want to display it, go ahead. But if you don’t? No big deal. I’m not embarrassed at all by it, but I also don’t elevate it so high that it’s worshiped.
It’s a Democrat Debate for POTUS. There is no US Flag. One guy did wear a US Flag lapel pin so good on him. That certainly sends a message.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 17th, 2019, 8:19 am I think it's just a difference in opinion on displaying the flag. Conservative Americans hold the flag - the physical flag, not the metaphorical meaning of it - higher than most people around the world hold their flag. It's why you see more flags at Republican gatherings than you do Democratic gatherings.
Examples?
By Jonathan Carone
SumItUp wrote: October 17th, 2019, 9:26 am
Examples?
No hard examples. Just what I've been told by European friends who come to America and missionary friends who have traveled the world. One of my favorite questions to ask is what differences did they experience and almost to a person they mention the amount of American flags here as opposed to country flags in other places.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 17th, 2019, 9:34 am
SumItUp wrote: October 17th, 2019, 9:26 am
Examples?
No hard examples. Just what I've been told by European friends who come to America and missionary friends who have traveled the world. One of my favorite questions to ask is what differences did they experience and almost to a person they mention the amount of American flags here as opposed to country flags in other places.
In that context you are pretty correct. You won’t go to France and see a lot of people flying the French flag from there porch unless it’s a National Holiday. Then it’s crazy. Same with most of Europe. Not so much the ME. Lots of flags over there. It may even be a law you have to display one in Israel :D
They also don’t got out of their way to hide from it either. Which you see Democrats doing more and more
By Jonathan Carone
Yeah I wasn't trying to degrade either view, just pointing out an observation. I've never noticed the lack of flags with the Democrat candidates because I don't look for it, but it's something I won't be able to not see anymore.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: October 17th, 2019, 9:34 am No hard examples. Just what I've been told by European friends who come to America and missionary friends who have traveled the world. One of my favorite questions to ask is what differences did they experience and almost to a person they mention the amount of American flags here as opposed to country flags in other places.
It's anecdotal, but my personal experience has been the opposite. However, I can't think of another place that would not have their country's flag displayed in an official event / debate leading up to the selection of the leader of their country. I think the Democrats in the US have a monopoly on that concept.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Turkey is in NATO. Erdogon is not our friend
By CCWMichael
Jonathan, I respectfully disagree with your other countries theory.
I have fought with Brits over which Red, White, and Blue flag is better ... and they love to fight playfully :D
I have been to over 14 separate European countries and they re proud of who they are and can tell you quick what their flag stands for. Many of those countries I have spent time in at length. Now East Germany (DDR) was a whole other animal on it's own. Countries like Poland, Serbia, Croatia, Romania,Albania, Macedonia, Germany, Switzerland, Lichtenstein, Belgium, and the Netherlands ... big flaggers.
Ask a Mexican about their flag. They fly it in everywhere and many tattoos of the flag. Same for PR. But dare not compare the two or you are asking for a fight. Most Latino based countries are this way. Lest not forget Caribbean countries. Pride is in the forefront.
Canadians love to fly their flag in all provinces.
Between Japan, Korea, Taiwan, and so on. Pride is what I witnessed.
Now we go to India and Pakistan. They fight for their flags. Most Middle Eastern countries I have been to do not shy away from their flags.
Africa is a bit different but say Nigeria, South Africa, and Egypt.
American left is unique as they paint the flag as a symbol of hate and repression. Heck, they even say it unabashedly.
I understand you are a young man so your experience does not give you a good base. I hope i just added to that base.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
back in my younger days , I have dated girls from Germany, Poland, Rumania, Mexico, France and Turkey.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 18th, 2019, 8:41 am back in my younger days , I have dated girls from Germany, Poland, Rumania, Mexico, France and Turkey.
Oh No Ballcoach - why do you do this to yourself? ;) I would delete this before Haize sees this.... :D :shock:
By Jonathan Carone
Michael - I think we're making two different arguments here. I may not have articulated my argument well so I apologize for that.

I have no doubt that other countries take pride in their flag. I'll concede that point all day every day.

Where I think Conservative Americans are different is in their reverence of the physical object of the flag. And it's not just the American flag where I see this. It comes across in other symbols of worship as well. Conservative Christians are more likely to be offended that a church doesn't display a cross. The Christian flag is held at a higher level to them as well. Again - this isn't a knock or in any way degrading towards Conservatives. The Conservative way of thinking is much more literal than Liberal or Progressive worldviews. My experience shows that to the Conservative, the symbol of something is held in the same regard as the thing it symbolizes. To the Liberal or Progressive, the symbol is just an object to represent the bigger idea.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
The United State's flag is a big turnoff for their base. If they displayed one all the candidates would have to take a knee before giving their opening remarks. :lol:
Last edited by TH Spangler on October 18th, 2019, 10:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
In case anyone hasn't figured it out yet, The Democrats want to destroy America. Just look at the candidates they have seeking nomination for President. Only 2 of them are even remotely qualified. (Biden and Gabbard) and even they have their faults.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 18th, 2019, 8:41 am back in my younger days , I have dated girls from Germany, Poland, Rumania, Mexico, France and Turkey.
They must've been seeking that green card by spring...
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]