This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jonathan Carone
Have any of you dived in to studying the enneagram? How has it helped you?
By CCWMichael
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 4th, 2019, 12:52 pm Have any of you dived in to studying the enneagram? How has it helped you?
This is a quirky situation. It will work for some and not for others.
Not all junkies respond to 12 steps.
CBT is not for all with MH.
What fits for you will work for you.
At worst you will pull a bit more understanding and take a few pieces with you.
For most people it an eclectic climb to self actualization and an ability to moderate our faults.
By Jonathan Carone
I was referring to the idea of the enneagram more than a specific teaching of it, but sure. Your post just seemed like a bunch of sentence fragments with random initials. It didn't make any sense.
By CCWMichael
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 4th, 2019, 2:17 pm I was referring to the idea of the enneagram more than a specific teaching of it, but sure. Your post just seemed like a bunch of sentence fragments with random initials. It didn't make any sense.
CBT = Cognitive Behavioral Therapy
MH = Mental Health

I do not use it in my practice. I would if a client would see it as a benefit to discover something in this way. The enneagram is about self awareness and responding appropriately to that knowledge. Basic therapy but utilized in the format of discovery. I would suggest practicing this on your own. No, its not Ouija board. We as people will interpret things internally differently than reality outside of our reality. Have a second set of eyes to confirm or deny your presumptions. A friend or spouse is fine no need for a therapist unless large struggles are involved. The more self aware we are the better we understand how to manage ourselves.
I would use the MMPI just for reference. This you need a licensed individual to administer.
By Jonathan Carone
That post made so much more sense. Thank you for that.

I ignored a lot of it when it first started gaining popularity. Then I had three different pastors mention how it's helped them with some basic understandings of people. One even told me that for the first time, it allowed him to better understand why/how his wife thought through things the way she does. Like you said - self awareness type of things.

I've jumped in enough to where I read the book The Road Back To You. I'm pretty sure I know where I land on it, although not 100%. I bartered with a client and built a website for an enneagram coach in exchange for one-on-one coaching through her program, so I'm excited to see where that takes me.
By CCWMichael
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 4th, 2019, 2:38 pm That post made so much more sense. Thank you for that.

I ignored a lot of it when it first started gaining popularity. Then I had three different pastors mention how it's helped them with some basic understandings of people. One even told me that for the first time, it allowed him to better understand why/how his wife thought through things the way she does. Like you said - self awareness type of things.

I've jumped in enough to where I read the book The Road Back To You. I'm pretty sure I know where I land on it, although not 100%. I bartered with a client and built a website for an enneagram coach in exchange for one-on-one coaching through her program, so I'm excited to see where that takes me.
Enjoy.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You’re spot on. I got pretty much nothing out of it. But I’ve had all sorts of this type of testing done over the years. I’ve seen others dive head first into it and I look at them and say to myself “I don’t think those words mean what they think they mean”. In short, I’ve seen more people go off the rails with it then truly benefited
By rhezick
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 4th, 2019, 12:52 pm Have any of you dived in to studying the enneagram? How has it helped you?
My wife and I just took the test a few months ago. I never found much value with personality tests, so that the fact I even want to respond let alone write all this is telling. I was blown away when we completed the enegram. She's an 8, and I'm a 9 and not only were there countless "yep, that's me" moments for the both of us. The way in which it's helped elevate our relationship has been incredible. We've always fallen on the crutches of the "love language" which is fine to start, but as we went on in our marriage, we still had some gaps. After taking the test and listening to various podcasts about each number and especially those focused on the relational interactions between those numbers, we've made huge improvements on both sides in how we support each other. It's more than just "x number = y personality" and I'd recommend for individuals, but especially for those in a relationship.
By rhezick
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 4th, 2019, 2:38 pm One even told me that for the first time, it allowed him to better understand why/how his wife thought through things the way she does.
This right here. Yea I know it's mostly just self-reflective, but all I can say is that it's moved our marriage from being okay to actually understanding, and desiring to be curious, not correct.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I take all of these with a grain of salt. What is really good about them is that they help you to be introspective. Understanding yourself is important in understanding others.
By Jonathan Carone
rhezick wrote: October 3rd, 2019, 2:30 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 4th, 2019, 2:38 pm One even told me that for the first time, it allowed him to better understand why/how his wife thought through things the way she does.
This right here. Yea I know it's mostly just self-reflective, but all I can say is that it's moved our marriage from being okay to actually understanding, and desiring to be curious, not correct.
It's been a total game changer for me. I understand so much more of the why in what I do than I did before.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I know nothing about it, but I think it could help a couple of posters, on this board.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 4th, 2019, 6:15 am I know nothing about it, but I think it could help a couple of posters, on this board.
You’re priceless. Imagine that commenting on something you know nothing about :D
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote: September 4th, 2019, 11:10 pm You’re spot on. I got pretty much nothing out of it. But I’ve had all sorts of this type of testing done over the years. I’ve seen others dive head first into it and I look at them and say to myself “I don’t think those words mean what they think they mean”. In short, I’ve seen more people go off the rails with it then truly benefited
Are you in pharmaceutical sales? Those companies put you through all sorts of sociological testing to see how to push your right buttons.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: October 4th, 2019, 3:27 pm
Purple Haize wrote: September 4th, 2019, 11:10 pm You’re spot on. I got pretty much nothing out of it. But I’ve had all sorts of this type of testing done over the years. I’ve seen others dive head first into it and I look at them and say to myself “I don’t think those words mean what they think they mean”. In short, I’ve seen more people go off the rails with it then truly benefited
Are you in pharmaceutical sales? Those companies put you through all sorts of sociological testing to see how to push your right buttons.
You are correct. My current company is big into DISC and just put our management thru some type of LIS thingy. They put us through all sorts of this stuff more to relate to the customer then for our company to relate to us ha.
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote: October 4th, 2019, 8:29 pm
LUDad wrote: October 4th, 2019, 3:27 pm
You are correct. My current company is big into DISC and just put our management thru some type of LIS thingy. They put us through all sorts of this stuff more to relate to the customer then for our company to relate to us ha.
I figured. I left P&G to work for a pharma company. Though I worked on the OTC side, I still had to participate in all the physc. testing, profiling, etc. that they used on the ethical side.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The “ethical side” ha
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]