This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

reuters wrote: Evangelical leader and prominent Donald Trump backer Jerry Falwell Jr personally approved real estate transactions by his nonprofit Christian university that helped his personal fitness trainer obtain valuable university property, according to real estate records, internal university emails and interviews.

Around 2011, Falwell, president of Liberty University in Virginia, and his wife, Rebecca, began personal fitness training sessions with Benjamin Crosswhite, then a 23-year-old recent Liberty graduate. Now, after a series of university real estate transactions signed by Falwell, Crosswhite owns a sprawling 18-acre racquet sports and fitness facility on former Liberty property. Last year, a local bank approved a line of credit allowing Crosswhite’s business to borrow as much as $2 million against the property.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... ce=twitter

First the pool boy, now the personal trainer - with LU funds to boot.
Ben Crosswhite has been tapped into LU for a long time I didn’t know that his place used to be owned by the University. He’s done an amazing job with it. It’s a little high brow for me (I like to lift heavy things listen to loud music and use strong language) but seems like a good use of what would other wise be decrepit property
thepostman wrote: August 27th, 2019, 9:12 pm This is nothing like the pool boy situation. Like PH said, he has been connected to LU for a while. Kind of an odd pairing but not nearly as bizarre as the pool boy story.
Yeah “personal trainer” lends a connotation to the story that doesn’t exist. The guy runs a pretty good sized gym and business. And all joking aside I may check out when I get tired of driving back from Roanoke (or I sell that program to Crosswhite Fitness and I can work out there :D )
The accusations in this one are a bit off base.

Liberty was donated the facility. It was an absolute money pit that cost the university way more than it was worth. And no one wanted to buy it! Giving Crosswhite a favorable deal gave Liberty the chance to stop losing money and maybe even make some in the process.

As for the people trying to insinuate anything sexual - they’re totally off base and trying to make the story sound juicier.
dbackjon wrote:
reuters wrote: Evangelical leader and prominent Donald Trump backer Jerry Falwell Jr personally approved real estate transactions by his nonprofit Christian university that helped his personal fitness trainer obtain valuable university property, according to real estate records, internal university emails and interviews.

Around 2011, Falwell, president of Liberty University in Virginia, and his wife, Rebecca, began personal fitness training sessions with Benjamin Crosswhite, then a 23-year-old recent Liberty graduate. Now, after a series of university real estate transactions signed by Falwell, Crosswhite owns a sprawling 18-acre racquet sports and fitness facility on former Liberty property. Last year, a local bank approved a line of credit allowing Crosswhite’s business to borrow as much as $2 million against the property.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa- ... ce=twitter

First the pool boy, now the personal trainer - with LU funds to boot.
I’ve had some issues with our leader, but the only thing you EVER contribute on this website are negative articles about JLF. It gets old after awhile.
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 27th, 2019, 9:50 pm The accusations in this one are a bit off base.

Liberty was donated the facility. It was an absolute money pit that cost the university way more than it was worth. And no one wanted to buy it! Giving Crosswhite a favorable deal gave Liberty the chance to stop losing money and maybe even make some in the process.

As for the people trying to insinuate anything sexual - they’re totally off base and trying to make the story sound juicier.
Good perspective. Definitely feels like author is trying to make something from nothing which is nothing new for the media when it comes to LU.
I am just curious as to when the media will learn the danger of using such tactics. This is why the media assault on Trump doesn't work because they get angry about every little thing so when there is something that is legit, it gets lost in the noise and does little to change anything. This is why he won and this is why he continues to tweet. He knows how to work the media.

In this case, something so small is made into something it never should have been made out to be. It is just the world we live in now, but I am not a fan.
From what I gather about this deal, it was a win-win situation for all involved.
Crosswhite runs a good business that has helped a lot of people. It's good that there is a connection to
Liberty, whether it be big or small.

(There are a lot of people around who could benefit by paying Ben a visit, if you know what I mean)
ballcoach15 wrote: August 28th, 2019, 10:12 pm From what I gather about this deal, it was a win-win situation for all involved.
Crosswhite runs a good business that has helped a lot of people. It's good that there is a connection to

(There are a lot of people around who could benefit by paying Ben a visit, if you know what I mean)
There’s a lot of real estate developers?
ballcoach15 wrote: August 28th, 2019, 10:12 pm From what I gather about this deal, it was a win-win situation for all involved.

Crosswhite doesn't run a good business on his own and all his competitors have known this for a while. As is typical, the Administration favorites will always be successful until they fall out of favor. Being in the Lynchburg business world, It is pretty common knowledge that if you know the right person or people, the fix is in.
rogers3 wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 6:19 pm Crosswhite doesn't run a good business on his own and all his competitors have known this for a while. As is typical, the Administration favorites will always be successful until they fall out of favor. Being in the Lynchburg business world, It is pretty common knowledge that if you know the right person or people, the fix is in.
welcome to the world of business..?? ??
RubberMallet wrote: September 4th, 2019, 3:15 pm
rogers3 wrote: September 2nd, 2019, 6:19 pm Crosswhite doesn't run a good business on his own and all his competitors have known this for a while. As is typical, the Administration favorites will always be successful until they fall out of favor. Being in the Lynchburg business world, It is pretty common knowledge that if you know the right person or people, the fix is in.
Seriously. I work in sales. It's all about who you know. Relationships win unless a major event motivates a move.
Class of 20Something wrote: September 4th, 2019, 3:34 pm
Seriously. I work in sales. It's all about who you know. Relationships win unless a major event motivates a move.
Ben was in the right spot at the right time and probably kissed the right behind to help get him to where he is. Not taking away any hard work that goes along with it but a tiny bit of luck and who you know is business 101
Class of 20Something wrote: September 4th, 2019, 3:34 pm
i was briefly involved in the construction scene where i live and quickly found out if there is a big entity in a geographical area (for us its john deere) and they are in any way involved in your field of work, better get them lips all dolled up for puckering.

In the field of IT in which i'm in now, the big players whine and dine the big resellers, the big clients to a point that unless you are VC funded round after round, there is no way to play game.
I'm amazed that you people don't think a Christian institution shouldn't have a higher standard. Having contracted at all the other institutions in Lynchburg, I'd rate LU the most corrupt. There is no excuse and I find it difficult to respect to those who try to whitewash it.
Last edited by rogers3 on September 4th, 2019, 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rogers3 wrote: September 4th, 2019, 8:34 pm I'm amazed that you people don't think a Christian institution shouldn't have a higher standard. Having contracted at all the other institutions in Lynchburg, I'd rate LU the most corrupt. There is no excuse I find it difficult to respect to those who try to excuse it.
Yes a Christian Institution should be held to a higher standard. But we aren’t far removed from the times when LU couldn’t or wouldn’t pay their bills. I don’t view their business transactions any differently than any other business. As Metallica sings Sad, but true.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]