This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 6:19 pm No Republican Convention in Jax. Shrewd move to destroy the narrative.
How is it shrewd? He threw a tantrum when North Carolina told him he couldn’t hold the convention here because of public health concerns. He just admitted the Democratic governor of North Carolina was right the entire time.

I’m glad he canceled - it was the responsible thing to do - but it was in no way shrewd.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 7:29 pm
Purple Haize wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 6:19 pm No Republican Convention in Jax. Shrewd move to destroy the narrative.
How is it shrewd? He threw a tantrum when North Carolina told him he couldn’t hold the convention here because of public health concerns. He just admitted the Democratic governor of North Carolina was right the entire time.

I’m glad he canceled - it was the responsible thing to do - but it was in no way shrewd.
Because every night of the convention the coverage would have focused on how everyone in attendance was going to die and the great Rona Plague would sweep across the Country killing millions (all according to models). So throw out the ‘safety’ talking point and take away a talking point from the other side. Now all people like you are left with are “Yeah but he WAS going to do it”. Even though he actually did not. Again, shrewd
By Jonathan Carone
No. The talking point is now how it’s not safe enough to have the convention but he’s still adamant about forcing kids back to school. It’s spun as if he doesn’t care about the safety of kids and doesn’t care about teachers.

At the end of the day, his base is going to shrug it off because he could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and not lose votes while people who don’t like him will point at the inconsistencies. It’ll change absolutely no minds and win no new voters for either candidate.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 9:09 pm No. The talking point is now how it’s not safe enough to have the convention but he’s still adamant about forcing kids back to school. It’s spun as if he doesn’t care about the safety of kids and doesn’t care about teachers.

At the end of the day, his base is going to shrug it off because he could stand in the middle of 5th Avenue and shoot somebody and not lose votes while people who don’t like him will point at the inconsistencies. It’ll change absolutely no minds and win no new voters for either candidate.
Sending kids back to school has some solid science behind it.
And if he did shoot someone on 5th Avenue it would probably be one of those AntiFa types with a death wish coming to attack him.
I certainly see the inconsistency of wanting to have a convention and calling it off because of safety. But I also understand the reason he is doing it. I also have a pretty good idea why he’s started being photographed with a mask even though he probably believes they are next to useless
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 23rd, 2020, 9:09 pm No. The talking point is now how it’s not safe enough to have the convention but he’s still adamant about forcing kids back to school. It’s spun as if he doesn’t care about the safety of kids and doesn’t care about teachers.

Children as a whole are at risk of a lot of things because they are not in school, and those things hit minorities and the poor hardest. SCIENCE says they are not at great risk from Covid. I will believe that teachers will be placed at risk from schools opening when there is significant evidence of the virus being transmitted from students to teachers. So far there is not.

https://www.baconsrebellion.com/wp/no-k ... om-pupils/
By Jonathan Carone
You can believe that all you want. Teachers by and large disagree with you, even Trump supporting teachers. While they almost all want to get back in the classroom to teach their kids, many believe their schools do not have the resources to do it in a safe way. Then in the face of that you’ve got Trump threatening to withhold resources if schools don’t fully open up meanwhile SC’s governor wants to take 2/3 of the Covid relief dollars meant for schools and divert them to vouchers for private school.

According to Fox News, 56% of voters views Trump as unfavorable. 47% view him as “strongly” unfavorable. He trails Biden by 8 points currently.

You guys can spin this however you want, but Trump is not doing anything to win himself any favors.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
OK, back on topic. The idea that because a poll has the name "Fox News" on it means it is going to be skewed towards Trump is a thing of the past. The fact is for several months now they have trended more anti-Trump than other polls like Monmouth and Rasmussen. Here are 2 very recent Rasmussen polls that, as someone who thinks the election of Joe Biden would be a total disaster, I find encouraging.

49% favorable rating for Trump from "likely voters"
https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public ... rack_jul23

66% oppose cutting of police funding in their communities to channel funds to social services.
https://www.worldtribune.com/rasmussen- ... or-police/

What happens on the streets of Chicago in the next few weeks may play a huge role in this election.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: July 24th, 2020, 7:47 am OK, back on topic. The idea that because a poll has the name "Fox News" on it means it is going to be skewed towards Trump is a thing of the past. The fact is for several months now they have trended more anti-Trump than other polls like Monmouth and Rasmussen. Here are 2 very recent Rasmussen polls that, as someone who thinks the election of Joe Biden would be a total disaster, I find encouraging.

49% favorable rating for Trump from "likely voters"
https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public ... rack_jul23

66% oppose cutting of police funding in their communities to channel funds to social services.
https://www.worldtribune.com/rasmussen- ... or-police/

What happens on the streets of Chicago in the next few weeks may play a huge role in this election.
Plus Trump support is hard to poll anywhere other than the privacy of a voting booth.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:You can believe that all you want. Teachers by and large disagree with you,
teachers all facts and sciencey until it affects them.

teachers aren't martyrs here. you literally picked a job where you are around snot nosed sick and filthy children 9 mo out of the year. your immune system is likely a marvel of science. The science (today*) says that no teacher has gotten corona from a student and students are unlikely to pass it along (young children). HS aged kids is a different story but I believe distance learning is way more possible with older kids.

*I also get it. The science on this takes wild swings seemingly every day. (see chloroqine or whatever) So whil they are like the science says its ok, on another hand i'm like the science says its ok until it doesn't.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 24th, 2020, 8:56 am
Purple Haize wrote: July 24th, 2020, 8:48 am IMO this is a phenomenon that could make Polling irrelevant this election season

https://www.cato.org/publications/surve ... raid-share
I believe that’s why the polls were so off in 2016. They’ll be closer this year than in 2016, but still not perfect.
If anything they will be more unpredictable. That is a much higher percentage than in 2016. People are getting shut down for saying they support Trump. Why in the world would you advertise it to a stranger or if it’s gonna cause strife in key situations?
Trumps OK rally got poo pop’s for not having an over flow crowd which it did not but that narrative overlooks the fact that a portion of people showed up but left when they saw the gauntlet of protesters they’d have to navigate ( it also showed he had more people willing to show up at one live rally then Biden has for all of his love and virtual ones combined)
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i assume people who respond to polling are not your every day voter. a guy we hired was a poll taker for quinnipac. he said that you are not just randomly calling people, people sign up and you call the same group of people mostly. they are either far leaning to one side or the other or old. I also agree that there will be more closet trump voters than ever before. I'm not certain it will be enough.

But in reality, the keep biden out of the spot light is working right now. But he can't hide forever. you jus thave to hope you can build enough momentum and quite frankly covid continues to worsen. Biden racing to the far left and drag his left of center followers along to try and atone for 40+ years of flacid leadership regarding racial justice is not a winning ticket imo.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Best President interview in awhile. I do wish Trump had actually answered some of the questions instead of going talking points. But he does lift the veil a few times (especially at the end) and it’s great

olldflame liked this
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: July 26th, 2020, 9:49 am Best President interview in awhile. I do wish Trump had actually answered some of the questions instead of going talking points. But he does lift the veil a few times (especially at the end) and it’s great

At least he does interview. Basement Biden needs come out of hiding and answer questions about his questionable past. Not sure which journalist would ask real questions though. Real journalism is dead.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: July 26th, 2020, 10:19 am
Purple Haize wrote: July 26th, 2020, 9:49 am Best President interview in awhile. I do wish Trump had actually answered some of the questions instead of going talking points. But he does lift the veil a few times (especially at the end) and it’s great

At least he does interview. Basement Biden needs come out of hiding and answer questions about his questionable past. Not sure which journalist would ask real questions though. Real journalism is dead.
I would love to see sleepy joe do an interview with Portnoy. Not holding my breath
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 26th, 2020, 10:10 am Barstool and Donald Trump. Two things I can’t stomach.
Why does this not surprise me :roll:
I’m a little disappointed the WH chef wasn’t involved and having El Presidente give him a pizza review :D
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Obama, Biden gate gets deeper all the time. Try to catch a rerun of Bartiromo show that aired today if you missed it. The Brookings Institute?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 26th, 2020, 10:27 am Biden asked to go on Pardon My Take - Barstool’s most popular entity and the best thing they do - but PMT turned him down.
Is Biden POTUS?
By Jonathan Carone
Not yet.

My post was directly in response to someone saying they’d like to see Biden with Portnoy and didn’t think he’d do it. I was pointing out PMT - Barstool’s largest entity - chose not to interview Biden because they didn’t want to politicize their show.
Election 2022 and 2024

Then he went on to win 49 out of 50 states.

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]