This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 16th, 2023, 7:50 pm
Purple Haize wrote: April 16th, 2023, 6:07 pm
paradox wrote: April 16th, 2023, 10:24 am Not saying that fossil fuels are going away. Just saying that we seem to be entering the twilight of the gas powered engine. Soon, that may turn out to be the true dinosaur.
The ICE is going to be around for a long time. EV’s will be shown to be niche or maybe greater. But ICE’s are not going away
Maybe so. But, the ICE is 150 year old technology. And now, something far superior has emerged. The momentum in the industrialized world seems to build by the day. What's going to stop it?
The ICE of today is much different than 150 or even 50 years ago.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: April 16th, 2023, 7:18 pm
thepostman wrote: April 16th, 2023, 4:18 pm Bringing industry back is one of the few areas Trump did really well in and is one of the few areas Biden is actually focusing on improving on. Neither of them will admit that but I think it is something most Americans can agree is a good thing.

Here is some NPR for you...I'm sure you'll trust it 😉

Democrat's words usally don't match their actions on this issue. Unless they can find a way to personally profit. Example, green scam.
Man. It's got to be exhausting being you.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 16th, 2023, 8:21 pm
TH Spangler wrote: April 16th, 2023, 7:18 pm
thepostman wrote: April 16th, 2023, 4:18 pm Bringing industry back is one of the few areas Trump did really well in and is one of the few areas Biden is actually focusing on improving on. Neither of them will admit that but I think it is something most Americans can agree is a good thing.

Here is some NPR for you...I'm sure you'll trust it 😉

Democrat's words usally don't match their actions on this issue. Unless they can find a way to personally profit. Example, green scam.
Man. It's got to be exhausting being you.
Do you regularly listen to NPR? :lol:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't typically listen to NPR. I typically go to allsides.com and read a story from several perspectives. Sometimes that includes NPR, sometimes that includes fox news, sometimes it includes a lot of other news sources. I highly recommend. I don't think that was the answer you were actually hoping for.
TH Spangler liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: April 16th, 2023, 8:00 pm
paradox wrote: April 16th, 2023, 7:50 pm
Purple Haize wrote: April 16th, 2023, 6:07 pm

The ICE is going to be around for a long time. EV’s will be shown to be niche or maybe greater. But ICE’s are not going away
Maybe so. But, the ICE is 150 year old technology. And now, something far superior has emerged. The momentum in the industrialized world seems to build by the day. What's going to stop it?
The ICE of today is much different than 150 or even 50 years ago.
Not saying that ICE hasn't evolved. Just saying that it's not even remotely comparable to something like a Tesla. This is somewhat easy for me to say. Can't help but run into owners regularly. They're in my neighborhood, work, church, etc. Conversation is unavoidable. But, you owe it to do yourself to do your own research. IMO, should prove well worth the trip to to Richmond or Tyson's Corner or wherever you need to go to test one out. It's the real deal. But you gotta find that out on your own. Lastly, VA is blue. So, consider all the incentives that may be available as well.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Personally it would be way too expensive for me to buy an electric vehicle. For starters I’d have to rig up my house for charging the car. Since I don’t have a garage I’ll probably have to at least build a cover to park it in and keep the charging station. That ain’t cheap. The cost of the type of vehicle I want would rival that of what I earn in about a year. Granted ICE vehicles aren’t inexpensive anymore either. But, even with incentives, EVs are more.
Professionally our company looked at it and decided against them. Again, a lot of folks would have to have charging stations installed in their homes, and the company doesn’t want to pay for it. Then the charging time during the working day makes it extra prohibitive. Then of course you run into the cost factor again.
I’m not saying there’s no place for EV’s. I know several people who have them and like them. If it works for them, great. Enjoy. But this regulatory push to shove them down consumers throat is misguided and will eventually fail
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It's really more about innovation than climate on the consumer level. And cost can be a factor initially. However, the substantial cost savings w/maintenance & fuel need to be considered too.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
From what I'm hearing Ford Lightings range drops to around 100 miles when towing. That makes a trip from the Triad to Wilmington two days. Or at least a long stop charging somewhere.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 17th, 2023, 11:55 pm It's really more about innovation than climate on the consumer level. And cost can be a factor initially. However, the substantial cost savings w/maintenance & fuel need to be considered too.
Until you need to replace the battery - $$$$. The technology has a lot of problems to work out before it becomes a suitable replacement for ICE. Battery life is one and the huge cost of replacement. Disposal of spent batteries is another. Will inexpensive used vehicles even be a thing?
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Not going to go the distance here. Not my intension. Not an advocate of all EVs. It's mostly a Tesla thing. Much of this information is available first-hand. Find out for yourselves, if you want.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 17th, 2023, 11:55 pm It's really more about innovation than climate on the consumer level. And cost can be a factor initially. However, the substantial cost savings w/maintenance & fuel need to be considered too.
Buy the time I came close to realizing savings if any it will be time to replace the batteries or the car.
Teslas are a BLAST to drive. They flat out get after it. It’s a nice car but not that practical for lots of folks
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 18th, 2023, 10:05 pm Unfortunate victims of what's come to be known as FUD.
Tesla owners? They seem to love them. No doubt or uncertainty about it.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
True. But battery replacements is a FUD smear tactic. One of thousands. Tesla owners would know if their batteries were failing. They would also know if they're saving money in the long run.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: April 18th, 2023, 11:48 pm True. But battery replacements is a FUD smear tactic. One of thousands. Tesla owners would know if their batteries were failing. They would also know if they're saving money in the long run.
Most Tesla owners I know don’t really buy them because they think they are saving money. Replacing a Tesla Battery is also north of 10k. The plus side is they only need to be replaced after about 200k.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Tesla model 3 now sells around 33K after Fed rebate. State rebates vary. It sells in the mid to high 20s in my state. 3 is already #1 selling vehicle in places like California, Norway, Germany.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: April 20th, 2023, 11:10 am People are comfortable with what they know.
I’d be comfortable in a Tesla! And I’m a big dude!

I just can’t justify the expense of owning one. Now if I was a high powered financial advisor obviously that type of money wouldn’t be an issue :D
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I don’t want a Tesla!

This is like F1 in the 50’s: the spectators of the event are in greater danger than the ones IN the event.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]