This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 26th, 2020, 11:17 am Not yet.

My post was directly in response to someone saying they’d like to see Biden with Portnoy and didn’t think he’d do it. I was pointing out PMT - Barstool’s largest entity - chose not to interview Biden because they didn’t want to politicize their show.
Hopefully not ever

I think they are two different decisions and unwittingly or not both Big Cat and Portnoy made that distinction. Huge difference between interviewing a POTUS and interviewing a candidate for POTUS.

Although Big Cat is being EXTREMELY hypocritical considering he interviewed Candidate Andrew Yang. Which would send a signal to anyone that he’d be ok with this type of things

In full disclosure I honestly couldn’t tell you what Bar Stool sports actually is or does. I have a vague notion. I’ve enjoyed Portnoys pizza reviews and Un boxing’s even some of his day trading. He made a pant load of money selling it to a Gambling company so good for him
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: In full disclosure I honestly couldn’t tell you what Bar Stool sports actually is or does. I have a vague notion. I’ve enjoyed Portnoys pizza reviews and Un boxing’s even some of his day trading. He made a pant load of money selling it to a Gambling company so good for him
Barstool as a whole plays up their racism, sexism, and misogyny, especially in the “it’s just a joke” sort of way. I know conservatives see those as virtue signal words, but if you look into it there are examples all across their brand.

They built the business on hot girls in tiny clothes and frat kid partying. And they’ve made a fortune.

I don’t judge people who enjoy Barstool entities. They’ve certainly got some entertaining brands. I just personally can’t get past Portnoy and the Stoolies to separate them. It’s too much for me.
By Jonathan Carone
Wanted to split this into a separate post since they’re different topic.

Purple Haize wrote: July 26th, 2020, 11:33 amI think they are two different decisions and unwittingly or not both Big Cat and Portnoy made that distinction. Huge difference between interviewing a POTUS and interviewing a candidate for POTUS.
I agree with that. I don’t fault Portnoy for interviewing Trump. As he said - if the president invites you, you go. It’s the same reason I think it’s best to go to the White House after a championship.

Purple Haize wrote: July 26th, 2020, 11:33 am Although Big Cat is being EXTREMELY hypocritical considering he interviewed Candidate Andrew Yang. Which would send a signal to anyone that he’d be ok with this type of things
I think there’s some hypocrisy there, but not an extreme amount.

Interviewing a primary candidate who is unknown and interesting during the primaries has completely different stakes than interviewing a candidate when the two finalists have been decided. I get not wanting to be political in this season, but he didn’t communicate that well.

I think Big Cat was more hurt because he wasn’t involved in the decision making more than he was offended by the choice. He disagreed with the choice, but he said in his rant that he would’ve felt different about that disagreement had he been included by the people who said he was their partner.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I don’t want Bar Stool to be about politics and I’m going to stomp my foot and be mad - guy who interviewed a Political candidate earlier

He might have some point about not being consulted. But he already signaled to everyone he was ok with interviewing Political candidates so not sure what the big deal was there. If he truly is one of the top partner / decision makers in the company than sure he has a beef. But it seems he was just pouty
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 26th, 2020, 11:54 am
Purple Haize wrote: In full disclosure I honestly couldn’t tell you what Bar Stool sports actually is or does. I have a vague notion. I’ve enjoyed Portnoys pizza reviews and Un boxing’s even some of his day trading. He made a pant load of money selling it to a Gambling company so good for him
Barstool as a whole plays up their racism, sexism, and misogyny, especially in the “it’s just a joke” sort of way. I know conservatives see those as virtue signal words, but if you look into it there are examples all across their brand.

They built the business on hot girls in tiny clothes and frat kid partying. And they’ve made a fortune.

I don’t judge people who enjoy Barstool entities. They’ve certainly got some entertaining brands. I just personally can’t get past Portnoy and the Stoolies to separate them. It’s too much for me.
So like Jimmy Kimmel but funny
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
This just in.

The most startling stat here is that this is in spite of the fact that Trump gets 95% negative press from MSM while Obama got 95% positive.

I readily concede that Rasmussen's editorial policy is generally pro-Trump, but their history with polling is as good as any and way better than most.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:

as a chicago sports fan, i have followed bigcat for ages and by proxy have been a PMT fan forever and dabble in barstool media here or there (run downs and pizza reviews mainly)

lots of companies have attempted to build their brand off hot women and the "frat boy" eyeballs, or as i call it, the CHIVE methodology (bleacher report, deadspin, outkick) What set barstool apart was building its brand across college campuses and sprinkling in gambling info and really moving past a lot of the childish things they were anchored too early on. (to be fair Clay Travis and Outkick are killing it as well...deadspin hardly exists and i'm not even sure bleacher report is a thing)

They are a diversified workplace (gender wise mostly). probably moreso than any other sports outlet.

portnoy is meh outside of his pizza reviews. The splash he's made into politics and economics has been pretty comical. His feud with goodell has also been pretty funny.

I invested in PENN in late march when they were trading in the single digits.

I prefer Outkick over Barstool but follow both in order to diversify my sports news via mostly ESPN.

RE: the president

Its clear el prez has other aspirations and frequents Fox News and Tucker. There was kind of a dealio made about big cat being kind of torqued off about it. But that was it.

PMT did have yang on but I saw it as more of them talking with a fringe candidate with whacky ideas. not having THE actual DNC candidate on. Which i also believe puts it at a whole nother level.

Those are the perfect interviews for Biden though.

I also think that Trump sees Portnoy/Barstools base as probably slanted liberal and being able to swipe a few votes that way.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
but reality is that barstool has moved past that on a pretty large scale. and now that sports gambling is basically legal almost everywhere, they'd doubled down on that as has Foxsports/Outkick.

I personally don't sports gamble but enjoy the "science" of it as it relates to sports commentary.
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: August 3rd, 2020, 10:58 am This just in.

The most startling stat here is that this is in spite of the fact that Trump gets 95% negative press from MSM while Obama got 95% positive.

I readily concede that Rasmussen's editorial policy is generally pro-Trump, but their history with polling is as good as any and way better than most.
And just like that, it's back down to 46%. Maybe this "rasmussen" is fake news.
https://www.rasmussenreports.com/public ... ex_history
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
rasmussen is generally found to be one of the more accurate pollers.

I think I read that republicans have been out getting a ton of voter registrations in key states where as it seems the DNC is not.

I think the lack of Biden actually campaigning was good for a while, but as deaths continue to shrink as a % of positive cases its going to be harder and harder to hide him.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote: August 6th, 2020, 10:50 am rasmussen is generally found to be one of the more accurate pollers.

I think I read that republicans have been out getting a ton of voter registrations in key states where as it seems the DNC is not.

I think the lack of Biden actually campaigning was good for a while, but as deaths continue to shrink as a % of positive cases its going to be harder and harder to hide him.
Let’s take a look at the visuals. Mentally when you think Trump you see in your mind a gregarious person out in public doing his thing (whether you like it or not). Now Biden. Mentally the image that is being burned into your consciousness is a guy who is sitting alone in a room telling people to get off my lawn.
One candidate appears engaged. One appears isolated. That’s going to be a thing to keep an eye on.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
As the election gets closer I never know which thread to put stuff into. But this is an interesting tact. The Democrats are going to sue President Trump for providing COVID relief to the American people. First pass seems like a pretty straightforward plan. I’m a fan of simple. But when Congress gets involved simple goes out the window

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 8th, 2020, 7:38 pm I hate executive orders. That is all.
I hate EO’s and I hate Omnibus bills. It’s my biggest disappointment with the Trump/Ryan years from 2016-18. But here we are. This appears to be Trump acting undersecretary the Declared State of Emergency and rerouting fundS Congress already approved but not spent. So he appears legal and with Nancy and Chuck stonewalling it’s a brilliant move. Glad to see the American people are the prime concern :roll:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yep. The American people are an after thought to most in DC. Only reason Trump cares is because of the election looming. Gotta keep that power!

Oh well. Politics as usual.
Purple Haize liked this
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
trump was on outkick this morning on fox sports radio.

By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 6th, 2020, 12:44 pm

Let’s take a look at the visuals. Mentally when you think Trump you see in your mind a gregarious person out in public whether you like it or not. Now Biden. Mentally the image that is being burned into your consciousness is a guy who is sitting alone in a room telling people to get off my lawn.
One candidate appears engaged. One appears isolated. That’s going to be a thing to keep an eye on.
Was never a fan of politicians whose thing was grabbing women's crotches and calling opponents names that one heard in elementary school.

I think they are both idiots.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
After a couple of questions Trump has been asked in press conferences recently, I thought this was apropos.

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: August 15th, 2020, 6:14 pm Is the Babylon Bee your to to news source? :lol:
I follow them on twitter, so I see everything they put out and occasionally post it here if I find it either funny or timely.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
the Israel /UAE deal is a big deal. even the left will have a hard time turning this bad. and many are saying the Iran/UAE relationship was changed when Soleimani was taken out.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote: August 17th, 2020, 11:16 am the Israel /UAE deal is a big deal. even the left will have a hard time turning this bad. and many are saying the Iran/UAE relationship was changed when Soleimani was taken out.
It’s almost the same level as the Camp David Accords with Carter
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]