This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I’m worried about the inauguration. To me, Harris is looking like a great VP pick for Biden, if only for the security that these extremists would rather not take out Biden and have Harris take over.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
stokesjokes wrote: January 10th, 2021, 1:44 pm I’m worried about the inauguration. To me, Harris is looking like a great VP pick for Biden, if only for the security that these extremists would rather not take out Biden and have Harris take over.
And if those 2 are out of the picture.....Pelosi......

You might be correct.
stokesjokes liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I'm not saying there shouldn't be concern of things happening on inauguration day but 4 years ago there was a lot of unrest in the city. Far left groups destroyed store fronts but it was blocks and blocks away from the actual inauguration and you'd have no idea it was even happening. Why? The security around that national mall, Capitol, White House is extremely tight. It was the tightest security I had ever seen and I can imagine it'll be even tighter this year. It it a coordinated effort and each federal agency does a great job. So I don't forsee a repeat of what happened Wednesday replaying on Inauguration day. It would take a whole lot of coordination and fire power to make that happen.

I get the concern and I am sure there will be some violent demonstrations around the city but the inauguration itself will be extremely secure.
By rtb72
After this past Wednesday....I think they'll have a more than conservative law enforcement presence , probably even some fortified areas. I'm not sure he would be able to broadcast it....but it would be appropriate and welcome to have Trump send a clear message to those he has influence over to be peaceful and not carry on any nefarious activity. In NC we had our Governor's Inauguration this weekend and because of the 6th....we had several SRT teams in place. Everything was peaceful.
stokesjokes liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 9th, 2021, 9:25 pm I agree Pence did as well as he could as a VP, but the stain of Trump will be too much. He has lost the support of the Trump Republicans and the moderate wing of the party will associate him with Trump. It’s a lose lose for him.

I think there’s no chance Cruz or Hawley get the nomination. If anyone from Trumpism can overcome it, it’ll be Nikki Haley and even that’s doubtful.

I think 2024 will see someone like Cotton or Sasse climb. They were in line policy wise with a lot of Trump’s policy but they conduct themselves totally different. Just like coaching changes tend to go from one side of the pendulum to the other, that’s my prediction for 2024. Don’t know who it’ll be, but it’ll be someone with a trong conservative policies and an attitude of decency.
After the last few pages of this thread, I can’t tell now if you personally think Pence actually enabled Trump, or of you are reading the tea leaves and thinking he’s unelectable because he was Trump’s VP and other people will see him that way.

And maybe that was your point. No matter. I’ve got far more respect for those who try to help from the inside than those who rail from the outside. That’s how I see Pence: Imagine what Trump could’ve been without Pence on the inside. Pence, Haley, Cruz, Sasse. I really think there could be a place for any/all of them in four years. And among that group, Pence stands out to me as the most ready. Sure, the other side will employ the Trump tactic. If I were them, I would too. But I keep remembering the VP debate. His performance was stellar. A lot of Trump policy without the bluster. So I think Pence has a good chance in four years of not letting the Trump experience stick to him.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
They’re gonna come after Pence for a feared Theocracy. His “old time conservative” beliefs will be mocked and ridiculed on end
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Really don't see that talking point holding up. He may or may not be the nominee. There's so much yet to be determined perception-wise. Even the next 2 weeks should be interesting.
Last edited by paradox on January 10th, 2021, 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 10th, 2021, 4:45 pm They’re gonna come after Pence for a feared Theocracy. His “old time conservative” beliefs will be mocked and ridiculed on end
Yeah, but they're gonna go hard after anyone who gets the nod. That's a given. Whoever gets it, will have to hold their own.

You can see Cruz already positioning himself--he'd be a travesty btw. Haley will be there. Noem seems appealing. And, Chris Christie looks like he's ready to give it another go. ...to name a few.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote: January 10th, 2021, 6:50 pm
Purple Haize wrote: January 10th, 2021, 4:45 pm They’re gonna come after Pence for a feared Theocracy. His “old time conservative” beliefs will be mocked and ridiculed on end
Yeah, but they're gonna go hard after anyone who gets the nod. That's a given. Whoever gets it, will have to hold their own.

You can see Cruz already positioning himself--he'd be a travesty btw. Haley will be there. Noem seems appealing. And, Chris Christie looks like he's ready to give it another go. ...to name a few.
Christie is a no go. People remember what he did to Romney and now Trump
Haley seems like the “safe” candidate. But the atrump wing seems not to like her. Not sure why. She had a chance to blast Trump on numerous times but never did. She left to make bank to pay for her kids college.
Norm is the hot name for lots of reasons. :shock: Her handling of The Rona has been solid. Both Republicans and Trump supporters appear to like her
Pence to me is the leader in the clubhouse. I know he’s getting hit by Trump supporters for not keeping him in office but I think that will be overcome. Establishment types like him because he’s steady.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Your last bit on Pence is comical (but it is true of course). Imagine being angry at someone who followed his constitutional responsibility. What a joke. I like Pence and hope he can recover from 4 years of Trump shanninigans because I'd like to see more people like him lead and unite the republican party.

With that said, I doubt it happens and the nominee in 4 years will probably be someone we don't expect.
By Jonathan Carone
Even if you take out the anti-Trump pieces, Pence will have to answer for nearly 400,000 covid deaths, stand up the the Proud Boys, QAnon, and the far right, and answer for all the things Trump just talked around. I don’t see him overcoming that.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Pence and Noem can win in the Rust Belt. Christie may possibly have"potential" there as well. They don't need the little sub-groups that Trump overcommitted to.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 10th, 2021, 8:27 pm Even if you take out the anti-Trump pieces, Pence will have to answer for nearly 400,000 covid deaths, stand up the the Proud Boys, QAnon, and the far right, and answer for all the things Trump just talked around. I don’t see him overcoming that.
Why is he going to have to answer for 400k deaths? That seems to assume there should have been 0. By all accounts he’s done a very good job coordinating efforts in the response.
The rest is just silly. What role has he played in QAnon or the Proud boys.
It boils down to your hate of all things Trump. Start from there and be intellectually honest
By Jonathan Carone
I fully admit I despise Trump. Even if you take that out, these things happened while Pence was in the administration. To think he won’t get asked about them and have to answer for the decisions made is nuts.

“Nearly 400,000 Americans died from covid-19 while you were in the administration. Would you have handled the coronavirus pandemic differently than President Trump or do you stand by the way it was handled?”

“One of the biggest positives of the Trump campaign was the fast tracking of Pfizer and Moderna’s vaccine. However, there were issues with the roll out of that vaccine. How should that have been handled differently?”

“During President Trump’s term, the country saw a rise in white nationalist groups and conspiracy laden extremists. President Trump never condemned these groups. Do you stand by them?”

Those are three questions any journalist would ask day one going into Iowa. They’d absolutely be debate questions during the primaries.

Should Pence have to defend those actions and decisions? That’s debatable.

Will he have to answer for them? Absolutely.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
I just think as Trump’s VP, he’s going to have to answer for all things Trump for most people who aren’t solid Republican voters. He would be starting from behind and the RNC would have a harder road with Pence than with someone without that baggage.
Jonathan Carone liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
For the record, I may think Pence is a good man but I am well aware he has no chance in 4 years. He has the Trump thing going against him AND Trump essentially stabbed him the back which eliminates him from getting the maga vote. But someone like him could do wonders in helping heal the party. It just won't be him.
By Jonathan Carone
thepostman wrote: January 10th, 2021, 9:50 pm For the record, I may think Pence is a good man but I am well aware he has no chance in 4 years. He has the Trump thing going against him AND Trump essentially stabbed him the back which eliminates him from getting the maga vote. But someone like him could do wonders in helping heal the party. It just won't be him.
That last line is why someone like Sasse or Cotton has a chance. They are very similar policy wise without the Trump baggage. And if you’ve noticed, Sasse has been the one leaking a lot of the pro-Pence/anti-Trump things since Wednesday. Gotta think those two are working together.
stokesjokes liked this
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 10th, 2021, 9:50 pm For the record, I may think Pence is a good man but I am well aware he has no chance in 4 years. He has the Trump thing going against him AND Trump essentially stabbed him the back which eliminates him from getting the maga vote. But someone like him could do wonders in helping heal the party. It just won't be him.
Consider the context. Who does he run against? 82 year old Biden or a very weak Harris? What's the economy gonna look like? All of these could easily play favorably into Pence's hands.
Last edited by paradox on January 10th, 2021, 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Jonathan Carone
I think boring is what you want against Harris. The Republican base will be fired up to beat her no matter who you run against her. The last thing you want is to energize the Democratic base to vote against an outspoken bombastic candidate. If both bases are excited, Republicans will lose every time.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Yes. That's why Trump has been a problem for the GOP since the last midterm. And his endorsements don't equal very many wins for those he backs.

He did great with judges, exposed some major issues with China, and was committed to economic prosperity. All good things. But unfortunately, he really undermined himself. He was effective as an inspirational leader only. His professional skillset as a leader was abysmal. There's a realness about the guy that is likable. That's why it's so sad to watch him self-destruct like this.
Purple Haize, olldflame liked this
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]