This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
No one is talking about the Impeachment in the Senate. I get it with the House Managers. We’ve heard it all before.
But if you can stay awake through his delivery Trumps lawyer Philbin lays waste to the Obstruction charge. Granted I’m biased but this guy is right down the line with precedent and definitions.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 25th, 2020, 1:39 pm That is still going on?
Trumps team only took 2 hours today. Indicated 8 on Monday and that seems about it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Cool. I couldn't care less. I hope the dems can live with themselves for just handing the election to trump with this joke of a side show.
By chris leedlelee
thepostman wrote: January 25th, 2020, 2:18 pm Cool. I couldn't care less. I hope the dems can live with themselves for just handing the election to trump with this joke of a side show.
I truly believe that the 1998 midterms that were influenced by the Clinton impeachment serve as a precedent for this. Republicans pushing a partisan impeachment with an actual charge (prejury) still backfired when it came to the midterm elections. It is likely that an even more partisan impeachment in 2020 will only hurt Democrats. If not, I am genuinely concerned, because the American Left wants power so badly. I'm truly nervous for 2020 not because I think Trump will lose, but because of how far left the Democrats have swung.

If anyone wants a good synopsis of the impeachment proceedings, Ted Cruz is giving a 30 minute podcast each day describing what is going on.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It is kind of crazy how left the democratic party has gone. It is as if they believe Twitter Democrats are their base. As much as I dislike the way Trump goes about his business, he is very much a centrist in many ways. Because of this, he still appeals to a lot of people even if he is a loose cannon.

I think you won't see much change in the house or Senate this election cycle. But there is a long ways to go in that regard.
LU 57 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 25th, 2020, 3:23 pm It is kind of crazy how left the democratic party has gone. It is as if they believe Twitter Democrats are their base. As much as I dislike the way Trump goes about his business, he is very much a centrist in many ways. Because of this, he still appeals to a lot of people even if he is a loose cannon.

I think you won't see much change in the house or Senate this election cycle. But there is a long ways to go in that regard.
That’s where I disagree. I think you will see Republican gains. Not sure they can take over the House, too many retirements etc so resources are going to have to be allocated where they normally are not. But there’s a lot of dissatisfaction out there.
On the other hand the GOP is a hot mess even though it’s flush with cash. The fact that in VA they didn’t even run someone against a convicted pedophile speaks volumes.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
You may be right but it is much too early to make that call. I just don't see there being much so much of a shift where the republicans take back the house and I certianly can't imagine the Republicans losing the Senate.
Purple Haize liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Before I ask this question, know that I think that this impeachment trial is a joke and is being done for political reasons but I am going to ask this anyways because I am having a hard time understanding the republicans.

Why is it so awful to have witnesses at the trial? This is already a joke so why make it an even bigger joke? It allows republicans to really cross examine these witnesses and ask tough questions. I don't see why this is such a controversial take. So what say you Trump defenders, what's the deal? Am I just missing something?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
It further makes a mockery of the whole process. Schiff started the whole thing saying the case was made. They had every chance to call every witness they wanted in the house. The call for more witnesses Is yet another political gambit. Just trying to drag it out.
By Ill flame
It's also a waste of time. Why drag this thing out another week when the Senate could be confirming more judges. That's the most important thing Republicans in the Senate can be doing right now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 1:06 pm Before I ask this question, know that I think that this impeachment trial is a joke and is being done for political reasons but I am going to ask this anyways because I am having a hard time understanding the republicans.

Why is it so awful to have witnesses at the trial? This is already a joke so why make it an even bigger joke? It allows republicans to really cross examine these witnesses and ask tough questions. I don't see why this is such a controversial take. So what say you Trump defenders, what's the deal? Am I just missing something?
There were 18 witnesses in the House part of the investigation. Their testimonies were played, by both sides, to make their arguments. What was being asked was for new witnesses that the House didn’t bother to call. Having the Senate call new witnesses is not a precedent that needs to be set. Finally, after repeatedly boasting that they had an overwhelming amount of evidence and a slam dunk case, it seems odd that they would then attempt to have someone else make their case for them
The absolute best part of the entire process so far though was the House Managers closing statement
Jerry. Jerry. Jerry

JK37, chris leedlelee liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Shows how little a pay attention. I guess I didn't realize it was new witnesses.

I agree it is a waste of time which is why I don't spend much time on it. Thanks for answering
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 2:37 pm Shows how little a pay attention. I guess I didn't realize it was new witnesses.

I agree it is a waste of time which is why I don't spend much time on it. Thanks for answering
But you are like most Americans. The reporting rarely if ever says “new witnesses”. It just says “no witnesses”. So that’s all they hear and believe “The Republicans don’t want any witnesses” and leave it at that.
chris leedlelee liked this
By chris leedlelee
Purple Haize wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 3:50 pm But you are like most Americans. The reporting rarely if ever says “new witnesses”. It just says “no witnesses”. So that’s all they hear and believe “The Republicans don’t want any witnesses” and leave it at that.
This is why the media is the enemy of the people, and that is the moderate position. Just ask Bernie bro's, Tulsi Supporters, or the Yang Gang, how they feel about the media these days. The malfeasance by the media isn't a right or left issue anymore.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Saying that they are an enemy of the people seems extreme but all media, with very few exceptions, have a very clear bias.

People like to glamorize the past but it has been like this for a long, long time. It is just now they have 24/7 to fill so it becomes way more obvious.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
WOW. Solid first quarter commercial by Trump. Criminal Justice reform. Uniting families. Well done.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That was more like a "see, I love black people" type of spot. His supporters will love it and others who don't will roll their eyes. But they must be raising all of the monies to splurge on a Super Bowl spot.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: February 2nd, 2020, 8:03 pm That was more like a "see, I love black people" type of spot. His supporters will love it and others who don't will roll their eyes. But they must be raising all of the monies to splurge on a Super Bowl spot.
There’s that. But support among that demographic is growing compared to other Republican Presidents. That was a YUGE deal to sign that bill
Plus, Bloomberg is starting his campaign in earnest tonight and buying an ad. So....
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
This has been the best part so far

By Jonathan Carone
Pelosi tearing up the speech was childish and out of line.

But it was straight out of the Trump playbook.

Do something to change the narrative and distract from what you don’t want others hearing.

No one is talking about any of the good things he said in his speech. They’re all talking about her.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
All politicians are childish. I am so tired of both parties pretending that they are somehow superior than the other and I am even more tired of the people eating that up as if it is somehow true.
Yacht Rock liked this
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]