This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: October 19th, 2021, 5:21 pm I know Biden continues to get a lot of focus on here and honestly he deserves it. He sucks. I just really hope Republicans can put the Trump drug down. Dude is toxic and not good for the republican party, the conservative movement or our country. This statement on the passing of Colin Powell is pretty sick. Something I expect from toxic democrats but come on, there is a time in place to get your shots in. This is not that time. I've already seen it defended and it is insanity. I hope someone from the republican party that embraces conservative values can somehow break through because another Biden/Harris vs Trump battle sickens me.

I admired Colin Powell. Was he perfect? Of course not but he deserves more respect than this. Ok. Back to my message board hibernation.

Wonderful to see Colin Powell, who made big mistakes on Iraq and famously, so-called weapons of mass destruction, be treated in death so beautifully by the Fake News Media. Hope that happens to me someday. He was a classic RINO, if even that, always being the first to attack other Republicans. He made plenty of mistakes, but anyway, may he rest in peace!
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/news/news-azv8ydcpn8898
What do you expect? Everything with him will always and has always been 100% about himself.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Trump had a nearby rally over the weekend here in Texas. Then he had a fundraiser at the home of one of my neighbors down my street the same day. If I had any confusion over the rabidity of his supporters it was quickly dismissed by the people in the streets in front of my house lined up just to witness his motorcade. I do live in one of the reddest couties in America. But my entire family was astonished at what we saw this weekend.

I am neither a Trump proponent or basher. But I am getting the strong impression that a second term is looking more likely by the day.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
As my pastor says, there are folks who love their lord and savior Trump.

Before anyone chimes in, I know there are many idols in the world today. Trump happens to be a public one.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
Pretty inappropriate for a pastor to behave that way.

Jerry actually led a national movement, but always claimed that his political views were his opinion...and as a pastor tolerated opposing views within his congregation.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
If a pastor doesn't recognize and address idolatry going on in the church, they probably shouldn't be a pastor.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone refer to Trump as their Lord and Savior. I’d be interested to see who is saying that
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 31st, 2022, 2:24 pm I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone refer to Trump as their Lord and Savior. I’d be interested to see who is saying that
Its liberal spin. Its like labeling conservatives deplorables. :lol:
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
Apparently if you don’t have a signed contract, it’s not idolatry. :roll:

I’ve seen golden statues to Trump, I’ve seen Jesus portraits with MAGA hats on.

More importantly, and more widespread, I’ve seen people who put their hope in Trump and display their devotion quite publicly. It’s a phenomenon I haven’t seen for any other political figure in my lifetime. Sure, you’d see yard signs during campaigns or bumper stickers if you’re really worked up, but a day doesn’t go by in Lynchburg that I don’t see yards with Trump flags flying, trucks with paraphernalia plastered all over them, all of this in a non-election year for a guy who lost more than a year ago.

The sticking point for me, though, and why I think it’s important to talk about, is that most of the people who are overboard on their Trump devotion also claim the name of Christ. You have political rallies for the dude taking place in churches.

Now obviously Trump support does not equal idolatry, but it’s plainly obvious that there is an idolatry problem in the church, specifically tied to right-wing politics, nationalism, and the so-called God-Emperor Trump.

And miss me with “but the left!…” nonsense. What the left does or doesn’t do has basically zero influence on the church. We talk about the problems outside of the church to deflect dealing with the problems inside of it.
JK37 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Come on guys, people have idolized politicians for years. Some of Trump supporters have taken that to an extreme. That isn't liberal spin, it is reality.
Yacht Rock liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
And to be fair, our pastors have addressed idolatry in all forms. Whether it be social media, media in general, the church itself, and politicians and politics in general.

It's something seen in the church, so it gets addressed, even if it makes people feel uncomfortable. Even Jonathan has addressed it at TRBC in sermons from time to time.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 31st, 2022, 2:50 pm Come on guys, people have idolized politicians for years. Some of Trump supporters have taken that to an extreme. That isn't liberal spin, it is reality.
Idolized? Sure. To a point. Calling him or Obama or Biden their Lord and Savior? Nope That’s entirely different
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 31st, 2022, 3:15 pm
thepostman wrote: January 31st, 2022, 2:50 pm Come on guys, people have idolized politicians for years. Some of Trump supporters have taken that to an extreme. That isn't liberal spin, it is reality.
Idolized? Sure. To a point. Calling him or Obama or Biden their Lord and Savior? Nope That’s entirely different
It was probably said in tongue and cheek.

Come on man! :lol:
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I clearly recall Obama worship as well. Hillary never could establish it :lol:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: January 31st, 2022, 3:57 pm
Yes, I said that. People have idolized politicians for years. It is literally right in the statement you quoted....

By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
An election between Manchin/Gabbard and DeSantis/Tim Scott would probably bring the temperature down. I'll only support someone I think is above Chinese money and wants to stop the bleeding.
By stokesjokes
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 31st, 2022, 4:20 pm
TH Spangler wrote: January 31st, 2022, 3:57 pm
Yes, I said that. People have idolized politicians for years. It is literally right in the statement you quoted....

And it ain’t the people sitting next to me in church who idolized Obama.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
It's just politics fellas. Not a big deal if you like the Dems. It's your choice. Not your faith. I mean, at least, I hope it's not.
Purple Haize liked this
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
That's why I said people idolize all sorts of things in my initial comment. In this case, it was the Trump worship being addressed and has been an issue in the area I've lived more so than any other politician. I like a pastor who challenges me and/or the person next to me. It's helped me a lot in my walk with Christ.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
God cares about those misplaced blue collar guys too. As Christians, we should be concerned with understanding people from all persuasions and backgrounds.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
paradox wrote:God cares about those misplaced blue collar guys too. As Christians, we should be concerned with understanding people from all persuasions and backgrounds.
I'm not even sure what you're trying to say. I don't think addressing idolatry in the church has anything to do with caring and understanding other people. You can do both at the same time.

You can have an open discussion about issues addressing society and also show compassion for the conditions that led people down that path as well. One of the reasons I love my church is that it's probably the most compassionate church to all kinds of people that I've found in our area. Christ has been doing some great things in our community.
By paradox
Registration Days Posts
So, when you see someone who maybe lost his way or may appear excessively devoted to something, what do you do? The default response doesn't always need to be harsh criticism and judgement. There's gotta be a better way, if we really care about people.
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]