This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

LUDad wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:In all this, what is the definition of likeness ?
They can profit off themselves by being in commercials, doing autograph signings, etc.
The issue with that is that joe blow, an alumni of timbuktu University who owns a bunch of car dealerships, will virtually buy a recruit for his school by providing an endorsement deal worth way more than market.
You act like that’s not already happening.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Car dealerships are mentioned a lot when talking about paying players. After FBI finishes with shoe companies, will they go after the car dealers ? I have heard stories of athletes driving nice vehicles while in school.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Car dealerships are mentioned a lot when talking about paying players. After FBI finishes with shoe companies, will they go after the car dealers ? I have heard stories of athletes driving nice vehicles while in school.
Like these guys? https://247sports.com/college/usc/Board ... -50860219/

Also, Nick Saban owns a couple car dealerships.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Alabama was one of original authors, when the Book on Cheating was published.

I have always wondered how much Nike money is passed under the table at Oregon.
FIFY
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Once again, Ballcoach owns this board. He’s definitely the most powerful person on the forums.

I’m going to come up with some sort of phrase or meme or acronym to post every time he successfully takes over a thread.
Sometimes I feel bad replying to his post. Like beating up on the kid taking the short bus. But other times...l
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Once again, Ballcoach owns this board. He’s definitely the most powerful person on the forums.

I’m going to come up with some sort of phrase or meme or acronym to post every time he successfully takes over a thread.
It's fun! Stop trying to rain on my parade!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:

It's fun! Stop trying to rain on my parade!
BYD is turning into NoFunGuy :lol: :lol:

Every village needs an idiot. We have ballcoach. Doesn’t mean you’re powerful. Just noticeable. If he was powerful he’d change how we did things
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:Oh he’s changed things...
In terms of number of responses posts etc sure. Not sure that makes him “powerful”. Unless in this day and age being noticeable means powerful. I mean Bruce/Kaitlin Jenner is certainly noticeable but by no means powerful
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:

Sometimes I feel bad replying to his post. Like beating up on the kid taking the short bus. But other times...l
Please feel bad and think twice before responding. When I read one of his posts, I’m reminded that I will never get that wasted time back. :D
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote::lol:

I’m not telling you guys not to engage with him. I’m only telling you that he controls you, like some sort of strange, ill-informed puppet master.
That’s an even worse comparison :D if he was a puppet master we would be imitating his movements. Now we might be the crowd watching his an I’ll trained puppet master and be the ones heckling and throwing rotten cabbage on stage :lol: . But considering his thoughts are not original and come from #sources that are dubious at best, perhaps he is the one being controlled by an ill informed puppet master :tailgate
LUDad wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:In all this, what is the definition of likeness ?
They can profit off themselves by being in commercials, doing autograph signings, etc.
The issue with that is that joe blow, an alumni of timbuktu University who owns a bunch of car dealerships, will virtually buy a recruit for his school by providing an endorsement deal worth way more than market.
That's how capitalism works.
ballcoach15 wrote:I also agree with PH above on Cost of Attendance stipend. The CoA should be the same for every school, so no school gains an advantage in recruiting.
The cost to attend a school, what is essentially the cost of living, in New York City isn't the same to attend a school in Lynchburg, for example. By making it the same, you are not leveling the playing field, you are giving the school located in a cheaper place to live an advantage.
By LUDad
I agree Lynchburgwildcats. I guess my point is that I don't see how NCAA can cannot pull this off without it blowing up in their face. If they allow "market value" then whatever someone is willing to pay is market. QB's at Clemson & Bama would be worth 100's of thousand of dollars if not in 5 figures for right package. If they tried to cap it they will have lawsuits out the wazu. They would simply hasten the super league that's coming. It would also likely bite them after they try and pick up the pieces after super league forms. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
LUDad wrote:I agree Lynchburgwildcats. I guess my point is that I don't see how NCAA can cannot pull this off without it blowing up in their face. If they allow "market value" then whatever someone is willing to pay is market. QB's at Clemson & Bama would be worth 100's of thousand of dollars if not in 5 figures for right package. If they tried to cap it they will have lawsuits out the wazu. They would simply hasten the super league that's coming. It would also likely bite them after they try and pick up the pieces after super league forms. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
Cost of Attendance stipends and profiting off one's image/likeness are two different things though.
By CCWMichael
I am not a fan of the pay. earning cash I can agree to if a few things are in place. I read an idea that may switch my thinking. Allow the players to earn money. But, they must stay at the same school. Also, the money is placed in an interest bearing account and available upon graduation or other termination of college athletics.
I think this will work for team moral as the other players will not see the influence of cash and will maintain team moral. The player is incentivized to graduate or go to the pros to reap his or her rewards.
CCWMichael wrote:I am not a fan of the pay. earning cash I can agree to if a few things are in place. I read an idea that may switch my thinking. Allow the players to earn money. But, they must stay at the same school. Also, the money is placed in an interest bearing account and available upon graduation or other termination of college athletics.
I think this will work for team moral as the other players will not see the influence of cash and will maintain team moral. The player is incentivized to graduate or go to the pros to reap his or her rewards.
This idea would just further encourage players to leave early, which goes a bit against the spirit of allowing them to earn money in some capacity.
By LUDad
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
LUDad wrote:I agree Lynchburgwildcats. I guess my point is that I don't see how NCAA can cannot pull this off without it blowing up in their face. If they allow "market value" then whatever someone is willing to pay is market. QB's at Clemson & Bama would be worth 100's of thousand of dollars if not in 5 figures for right package. If they tried to cap it they will have lawsuits out the wazu. They would simply hasten the super league that's coming. It would also likely bite them after they try and pick up the pieces after super league forms. Anyway, that's my two cents worth.
Cost of Attendance stipends and profiting off one's image/likeness are two different things though.
I was responding to your "That's how capitalism works." reply.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]