This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By CCWMichael
Alrighty.
18 inches of snow coming our way then sub Zero temps and 40 mph winds.
We are staying indoors ... duh.
We planned our foods for the indoor stay which brought me to what foods do we like to comfort our-self with when we know we are stuck inside during the cold and snowy.

So lets go with ordered food and home cooked

Us--
Ordered ---- Pizza and comforting with a slight reheat the next morning
Cooked ---- Beef stew or Shepherds pie --- always adding Franks afterwards for me. Also makes a great leftover. Some foods when stewing in their own for a while just get better IMHO
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
We do Crockpot meals--our #1 go to is my Methodist chili and a close second is my chicken & dumplings. Homemade soups are a distant third. And we drink lots of hot beverages--cider (no surprise there), flavored tea, hot chocolate, and of course coffee.

PS--We had an old lady in our church who used to make her grandkids a special version of shepherd's pie, but instead of using mashed potatoes, she topped it with tator tots (and, yes, it was as nasty as it sounds--and she even served it once at church, which almost cost her church membership!). :vomit
By CCWMichael
Cider Jim wrote:We do Crockpot meals--our #1 go to is my Methodist chili and a close second is my chicken & dumplings. Homemade soups are a distant third. And we drink lots of hot beverages--cider (no surprise there), flavored tea, hot chocolate, and of course coffee.

PS--We had an old lady in our church who used to make her grandkids a special version of shepherd's pie, but instead of using mashed potatoes, she topped it with tator tots (and, yes, it was as nasty as it sounds--and she even served it once at church, which almost cost her church membership!). :vomit
Who can resist a solid chili? All beans or do you add meat?
Chicken and dumplings sounds delicious. Our version is chicken pot pie Amish style that has large flat square pasta with all the other ingredients. A must try when in Amish country.
Tater Tots! :shock: nuff said.
We have a few local farms here that do some great homemade ciders. Always great stuff. American classic.
I recall a neighbor that would let his ferment for a long time --- he claimed the longer it went the better it tasted.on top of that he loved to have his designed for adult consumption only. If I recall right he stated he would start with something like five gallons and the loss during the process would yield about a gallon.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Cincy Chili doesn't need beans. As a result I grew up firmly in the no beans camp and remain there today.

Our cold weather grub leans heavily TexMex: Enchiladas, migas, fideo and copious amounts of fresh tortillas.

Then again the next time we get snowed here in Greater Houston will be the first.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The recipe comes from my mom's WV Methodist church cookbook. The main ingredient is tomato soup, so it's a little more soupy and sweet than regular chili. And I crunch up Doritos to put on top instead of crackers.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:Who can resist a solid chili? All beans or do you add meat?
Mine is made with hamburger, canned diced tomatoes, and lots of BEANS--light & dark kidney, pinto, and white beans.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Doritos move is a stroke of genius. But I have to ask: Nacho or Cool Ranch?

Tomato Basil along with Tortilla are our house favorites on the homemade soup side of this discussion.

This thread is making me hungry. We have a house full of middle schoolers for D-Now this weekend and the folks who offered to bring lunch are nowhere to be found. We may have a riot soon. If we do, soup it is!
By rtb72
Chili is always a great hardy meal. My wife does a really good chili and she bakes bread bowls to put it in. The combination is really good....but has about 9,500 calories.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:The Doritos move is a stroke of genius. But I have to ask: Nacho or Cool Ranch?
Definitely nacho Doritos. And I can't take credit for it--I learned that trick from my old scoutmaster on a Boy Scout camping trip.
Of course, this same scoutmaster would also throw in a can of mixed vegetables, but I would NEVER do that to my own Methodist chili. :nono
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:The Doritos move is a stroke of genius. But I have to ask: Nacho or Cool Ranch?
Definitely nacho Doritos. And I can't take credit for it--I learned that trick from my old scoutmaster on a Boy Scout camping trip.
Of course, this same scoutmaster would also throw in a can of mixed vegetables, but I would NEVER do that to my own Methodist chili. :nono
Just bought a bag of old school taco flavored Dorito’s today as I was picking up medicine for Mrs Purple. Old school bag and everything
By CCWMichael
rtb72 wrote:Chili is always a great hardy meal. My wife does a really good chili and she bakes bread bowls to put it in. The combination is really good....but has about 9,500 calories.
Sounds delicious with the bread homemade bread bowls. Do you have an extra room :D
By CCWMichael
Sly Fox wrote:Cincy Chili doesn't need beans. As a result I grew up firmly in the no beans camp and remain there today.

Our cold weather grub leans heavily TexMex: Enchiladas, migas, fideo and copious amounts of fresh tortillas.

Then again the next time we get snowed here in Greater Houston will be the first.
Have not had fideo in years ... used to get it at almost all Mexican restaurants I went to in the SW. None in PA :cry:
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:I like Doritos. That’s also why I like Taco Bell so much.
Spoken like ballcoach!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
Spoken like ballcoach!
ballcoach is a Burger King Company man! Unless he’s meeting with his #sources for biscuits at the LU Hardee’s
By CCWMichael
Good news for us. Still staying in but the storm is moving further North and we are now the 8 to 12 inch range.
Unfortunately, the winds are still coming and more frozen rain on the back end. I'd rather have snow than ice. Getting ready for power loss.
And hungry for chili all of a sudden?
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
rogers3 wrote:
Spoken like ballcoach!
ballcoach is a Burger King Company man! Unless he’s meeting with his #sources for biscuits at the LU Hardee’s
I was merely noting the "style."
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
“Style” :D
By CCWMichael
I miss the weather in Oklahoma.
Weather forecaster would say tornadoes here at this time. Rain, sun, wind at this time and it would happen.
PA ... nope accuracy not a possibility?
Have seen it many times instantaneous changes to forecasts. Call for two feet of snow and get nothing or call for three inches and get a foot.

Well, we are now out of a winter warning and forecasting as of now 1 to four inches but the freezing rain still to come.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
only rain here in the Philly burbs, 35 degrees going up to 48 by mid morning.

positively friggin balmy
By CCWMichael
PAmedic wrote:only rain here in the Philly burbs, 35 degrees going up to 48 by mid morning.

positively friggin balmy
Yes, you guys missed the shoveling stuff. I am just a touch North and East of Harrisburg.
Glad to hear you were balmy 8)
Woke up this morning and their final prediction was right.
Heck, the deck is already loosing it's white covering.
Better get the driveway though before the big freeze rolls in.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
I think it’s anconspiracy between weather reporters and grocers.
By LU 57
All we got was rain overnight here in Richmond, and the sun was out a good part of the day.

Made a Texas style brisket flat on the Big Green Egg. Served with pickled jalapeños, onions sliced real thin, and mac and cheese. Had rolls too but none of the family wanted them. Definitely hit the spot. I think maybe Sly would have approved.
By CCWMichael
LU 57 wrote:All we got was rain overnight here in Richmond, and the sun was out a good part of the day.

Made a Texas style brisket flat on the Big Green Egg. Served with pickled jalapeños, onions sliced real thin, and mac and cheese. Had rolls too but none of the family wanted them. Definitely hit the spot. I think maybe Sly would have approved.

Sounds delicious!

I have always heard commercially about the Green Egg but have had a problem pulling the trigger. Are the Green eggs worth it?
OBTW, I'd be all over the rolls!
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]