This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Jonathan Carone
I had a day last week that my work schedule was super light. I was excited to sit down, sign up for Peacock, and start Yellowstone.

Nope.

My entire house is full of Rokus.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You can get a Fire Stick these days for like 20 bucks. That gives you options.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
roku is clear and away the best platform IMO. apple tv stinks, my firetv is awful... i even bought a TCL roku tv and this thing is just amazing.
By Jonathan Carone
RubberMallet wrote: July 21st, 2020, 11:42 am roku is clear and away the best platform IMO. apple tv stinks, my firetv is awful... i even bought a TCL roku tv and this thing is just amazing.
I didn't realize the Roku tvs were a couple years ago. My wife was doing Beach Body workouts and they had a Roku app. Bought her the Roku tv for the gym set up in the garage.

Then when we moved last year I bought a 60" Hisense Roku for something like $500. It's been an incredible tv.

Roku TVs are the only way I'm getting one moving forward.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
i thought i wouldn't lilke the tiny remote. now they do get lost a lot. but i have 3 of them in teh living room. i spray painted one orange and the kids aren't allowed to touch it.

We bought a TCL 65" on black friday for lik 600 bucks. the HDMI's/Antennae built into the app screen along with built in dvr is pretty awesome.

i remember when my dad bought a samsung smart tv and we thought it was amazing. that thing is dog crap compared to this thing.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Hmmm. I want to now look into this Roku thing ....but Jon likes it so obviously it sucks :D :D
By Jonathan Carone
When it comes to sports and tech, we're pretty similar. You just have terrible political and social opinions. We just differ on political and social issues.
Purple Haize liked this
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
I also bought Roku at 95 bucks a share and would like it to continue to 200.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Glad I could help your investment, just a little bit.

I also travel with a roku stick when work requires traveling. I love it.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 21st, 2020, 11:23 am Peacock isn't on Firestick's either.

We have four Roku tvs and then two other tvs that use the regular Rokus. Of all the different platforms, Roku's been my favorite.
Sideload the Peacock .apk file on a Fire TV. https://bit.ly/2CW3z7x. It's a link to download the file off apkmirror.com, a completely legit and legal site. It's run by one of the biggest Android blog sites.

The entry level Fire Stick is complete garbage, don't even bother with it unless you get the 4K one.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote: July 21st, 2020, 11:42 am roku is clear and away the best platform IMO. apple tv stinks, my firetv is awful... i even bought a TCL roku tv and this thing is just amazing.
Apple TV > Roku. Roku and Amazon starting to swing their private parts at the app manufacturers and it's hurting the customers. Apple TV has you covered on all the major streaming services these days. It's sad though because Roku used to be by far the best as far as streaming service compatibility goes.

Other than the remote. The Apple TV remote is garbage but I use a Harmony remote so doesn't really matter to me.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 21st, 2020, 11:47 am
I didn't realize the Roku tvs were a couple years ago. My wife was doing Beach Body workouts and they had a Roku app. Bought her the Roku tv for the gym set up in the garage.

Then when we moved last year I bought a 60" Hisense Roku for something like $500. It's been an incredible tv.

Roku TVs are the only way I'm getting one moving forward.
Having Roku of Fire OS built in is nice, and you can normally get a pretty decent Roku TV for cheap, but the problem with those is that the TV will far outlast whatever OS updates they provide. Unless you regularly upgrade your TV, eventually you'll be forced to buy a standalone Roku device or something else because the apps will stop supporting old versions of the OS.
By Jonathan Carone
The first one we bought three years ago is getting slow. I’m okay replacing every few years given the price.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
my rents have an og roku tcl tv running new firmware. meanwhile i have 2 apple tvs that can't do jack crap. and since everyone but me is apple we bought a new apple tv and eventually slapped it on ebay because noone used it because it stinks.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote: July 24th, 2020, 6:14 pm meanwhile i have 2 apple tvs that can't do jack crap.
By all means, send them to me. If you are in MI, I will swing by at the end of the month and pick them up to get them off your hands. :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Alright you young whipper snappers. ....

Love the user interface of YouTubeTv. Love the sports channels available. But I HATE. As in loathe and despise the picture quality. It’s like old standard tube tv quality. I have a line running to the TV so it’s not the streaming. I reboot the app Everytime. It’s just pixelated and blurry when things are moving. I just got an OTA antenna and the picture is much better. BUT I can’t get all the channels where I live. PLUS I have to move the antenna to different sides of the TV if I want to pick up specific stations. I’ve optimized settings per the LG site and various Interweb sites. It hasn’t really helped. I feel like I’m 5 minutes away from having to get up and change the channels myself!
. All my other streaming thingy’s work great. So... do the other streaming services (HULU Roku etc) have similar Crappy pictures on sporting events?
By Jonathan Carone
I’m watching on Hulu right now and things look great. Occasionally have sent NBA games on TNT but nothing else. The Hulu interface sucks but quality is great.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 12th, 2020, 8:13 pm I’m watching on Hulu right now and things look great. Occasionally have sent NBA games on TNT but nothing else. The Hulu interface sucks but quality is great.
My Hulu stuff looks great but I haven’t done Live TV with it
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
I have a separate question. I have a chromebook that I use sometimes to stream from Amazon. I have Dish tv and I have the espn app on my chromebook. I can watch games on the chromebook. But I cannot watch them thru the hdmi cable to the TV. The app makes the screen go blank. I imagine this is somekind of copy protection feature. I was wondering if I bought a chromecast if I could cast espn3 from the chromebook to the tv?
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
That's a good thought. Since the chromecast cost about as much as the firetv stick, I just got that. Fingers crossed it works when LU has their first home game. :)

I do most of my reading on airplanes and trains th[…]

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm that[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]