This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
alabama24 wrote:Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:03 am:
LU 57 wrote:Any thoughts on switching to Sling or other live streaming service?
Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:48 pm
LU 57 wrote:In the end, I decided to re-up with a Verizon
Didn't wait very long, huh? :lol:

My 2¢

If you are thinking about "cord cutting" you have to break down all of the components first. Here is what it looks like for us:

Internet: We have 7mbs unlimited DSL. That is good for us <most> of the time. The issue for us is metered internet. We originally spent about $40/mo for this service, but it has gone up. Unfortunately our options for cable have been very expensive and metered... we can't (choose not to) afford to spend $100+/mo. for internet. Recently Shentel has gone to a more reasonable fee for "unlimited" internet. When our contract is up I will re-evaluate.

TV Provider: We originally went with DirecTV Now. We recieved a free Apple TV, and had the "Go Big" package for $40/mo. We were grandfathered in to that GREAT price. However, we dropped it a few months ago because the service never worked for us. NOTE: Paying for these services often provide you access to the various channel apps. For example, you can watch ESPN on the DirecTV Now app OR on the ESPN app. In our case, with our relatively slow internet, the DirecTV Now app NEVER worked right for many channels. For the most part we didn't care because the ESPN app worked well most of the time and there was the promise of access to more apps "coming soon." The latter never materialized.

We ended up switching to HULU With Live TV. We were already subscribing to HULU ($8/mo) so switching over to the full service made economic sense (Only paying for one service instead of two). When I said that the ESPN app worked most of the time, today is an example of when it didn't work for us as we would like. Too many people trying to watch the same game. (The national championship game will be better, because there will be like 8 different streams going all at once). My wife wanted to watch Michigan today, and the ESPN app was sluggish, so I switched over to HULU... it is playing flawlessly.

You really do have to research the various service providers. Your needs will be different than someone else's. Each of them have advantages. The one that is interesting to me is YouTube TV, which allows multiple users.

Other Services: We have subscribed to Netflix for years and is great for our family. They are continuing to lose rights to shows (especially disney/marval/pixar), but they are spending BILLIONS on "original programming." We also subscribe to Amazon Prime... not originally for video, but that has become a great perk.

I will sometimes subscribe to a service for a month to binge a show. I love Star Trek and just binged the new show on CBS All Access. I will wait until the end of season 2 and subscribe for another month. I'd be more inclined to subscribe regularly if they had access to some shows like Big Bang Theory (which I have never seen, but would be interested in seeing what it is about).

Phone Service: Phone service isn't related to TV for us, but it is for many of you. I think the cell providers picking up "free netflix" or "free hulu" is interesting... but so far, not at the price (or in some cases the coverage in our area).

A fellow forum member is co-owner of a wireless provider (reseller). At the time, he gave me a great deal on service. We have been mostly happy with it and I would recommend it to others. I currently pay $40/mo/line for 5GB service. Bring Your Own Phone. We are on Verizon towers.

https://www.boom.us/plans-page-2
Shentel internet should be legally classified as a scam. They are legitimately one of the several reasons why I am leaving Farmville.
We have had nearly zero problems with Shentel internet. We've had it for about 7 years.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Shentels issue isn't service, it's their prices.
Amen!
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I hope that has gotten a <little> better recently. I hope to move to it in the fall when my DSL contract is up.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
This. My parents looked into it when they were considering moving into an area of Bedford County that only had Shentel. In terms of data caps and speeds, at the time they said it would cost more than double to get the same tier of internet service with Shentel that they are getting with Comcast when living in Lynchburg.

Even looking at the prices now, 50 Mbps for Comcast is around $40 a month with a 1TB cap. 50 Mbps a month from Shentel is $65 a month with only a 500 GB data cap. 50 Mbps is plenty sufficient speed for what they do, but they would go over that every month with all the streaming they do, so they would have to bump up to the $80 a month plan or stay on the 50 Mbps plan and pay $30 a month for "unlimited" data.

I could pay "up to" $90 for gigabit speeds on Comcast with 1TB cap, that's only $10 more than what Shentel charges for 150 Mbps with 1TB cap. Only 15% of the speed of what Comcast offers but it costs 89% of what Comcast charges.

150 Mbps on Shentel with 1 TB cap is $80, 150 Mbps with 1 TB cap on Comcast is $55.
300 Mbps for Shentel is $110, 300 Mbps on Comcast is $80. Though Shentel does give an extra 0.5 TB of data cap
1GB on Shentel is a mind-boggling $200 a month, its $90 on Comcast. Though Shentel does give 2 TB more in data cap, but you can just pay Comcast $50 a month to get unlimited data and it would still cost $60 less than what Shentel costs and you can use all the data you could ever want to use. Or pay $20 for every 50GB you go over if you are just going to go over a little bit.

Like I said, it's a scam.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
This. My parents looked into it when they were considering moving into an area of Bedford County that only had Shentel. In terms of data caps and speeds, at the time they said it would cost more than double to get the same tier of internet service with Shentel that they are getting with Comcast when living in Lynchburg.

Even looking at the prices now, 50 Mbps for Comcast is around $40 a month with a 1TB cap. 50 Mbps a month from Shentel is $65 a month with only a 500 GB data cap. 50 Mbps is plenty sufficient speed for what they do, but they would go over that every month with all the streaming they do, so they would have to bump up to the $80 a month plan or stay on the 50 Mbps plan and pay $30 a month for "unlimited" data.

I could pay "up to" $90 for gigabit speeds on Comcast with 1TB cap, that's only $10 more than what Shentel charges for 150 Mbps with 1TB cap. Only 15% of the speed of what Comcast offers but it costs 89% of what Comcast charges.

150 Mbps on Shentel with 1 TB cap is $80, 150 Mbps with 1 TB cap on Comcast is $55.
300 Mbps for Shentel is $110, 300 Mbps on Comcast is $80. Though Shentel does give an extra 0.5 TB of data cap
1GB on Shentel is a mind-boggling $200 a month, its $90 on Comcast. Though Shentel does give 2 TB more in data cap, but you can just pay Comcast $50 a month to get unlimited data and it would still cost $60 less than what Shentel costs and you can use all the data you could ever want to use. Or pay $20 for every 50GB you go over if you are just going to go over a little bit.

Like I said, it's a scam.
It’s possibly price gouging, but not a scam if they’re up front with the costs associated with the service.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Hulu with Live TV (Not to be confused with the regular HULU) is going up by $10/mo. I am thinking of switching over to YouTubeTV and picking up the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ Bundle. I know that many of you who have YouTubeTV seem to like it. My biggest question: Can you use your YouTube Credentials to log in to the apps? I have heard the YouTubeTV interface is great, but I don't plan to install the app on our family room AppleTV (but just the kid approved apps). Also, does anyone have experience using YouTubeTV across users in different locations? What are the restrictions (which are more generous than other providers)?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: November 15th, 2019, 4:27 pm Hulu with Live TV (Not to be confused with the regular HULU) is going up by $10/mo. I am thinking of switching over to YouTubeTV and picking up the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ Bundle.
I didn't switch to YouTube, and I guess I am glad I didn't! Hulu ended up allowing the Disney/ESPN+ bundle to go with the "Hulu w/ Live TV" deal... so that is what we have now.

Anyone ditching YouTube TV?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 12:43 pm
alabama24 wrote: November 15th, 2019, 4:27 pm Hulu with Live TV (Not to be confused with the regular HULU) is going up by $10/mo. I am thinking of switching over to YouTubeTV and picking up the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ Bundle.
I didn't switch to YouTube, and I guess I am glad I didn't! Hulu ended up allowing the Disney/ESPN+ bundle to go with the "Hulu w/ Live TV" deal... so that is what we have now.

I already have Disney at a 3 year rate and never used ESPN+ so I haven’t seen a reason to dump YouTubeTv. Honestly we are watching way more Netflix Amazon etc than live tv at this point. I do have Hulu but not live and really enjoy it. I don’t care for the interface at all. But I’m paying 1.99/month and getting good use out of it. I am missing Yellowstone which bum a me out but YouTubeTv is supposed to be getting the Paramount network soon and i can catch up
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I saw the YouTube TV price is going up again. It is become less and less beneficial for people to cut the cord.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 4:56 pm I saw the YouTube TV price is going up again. It is become less and less beneficial for people to cut the cord.
I’m paying 49.99. Going to $65 might make me look. But I was paying upwards of $200 with directv. So I’m not too upset
JK37, lynchburgwildcats liked this
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: July 3rd, 2020, 12:43 pm

I compared Hulu Live with YouTube TV and once I do the add on for the multiple screens thing the cost is the same and, if I remember correctly, I lose some channels I watch. Plus I hate the Hulu UI and YouTube TV gives me unlimited DVR at no extra cost, Hulu charges to get more than 50 hours.
By Class of 20Something
I have YouTube TV. They did Jack the price, but we were already splitting with another family in the region. My 3 year old just got Nickelodeon and my wife and I finally have access to Yellowstone on Paramount. Paramount also has a ton of great movies to "DVR" too.
Purple Haize liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The $65 sticker shock is settling deep into my bones. No one was asking YouTubeTV for more channels. Massive disappointment. They are getting the axe from me shortly.

And for those suggesting a digital antenna for local channels, I live in Houston. 50 miles in Houston is barely out of your neighborhood. I guess I can go back Locast if necessary. But it was buggy and annoying when I had it last time.
By Class of 20Something
Sly Fox wrote: July 11th, 2020, 10:40 am The $65 sticker shock is settling deep into my bones. No one was asking YouTubeTV for more channels. Massive disappointment. They are getting the axe from me shortly.

And for those suggesting a digital antenna for local channels, I live in Houston. 50 miles in Houston is barely out of your neighborhood. I guess I can go back Locast if necessary. But it was buggy and annoying when I had it last time.
You seriously need to get extended family to pair with. We split our YoutubeTV and at that price it can't be beat. Also, the FCC is forcing digital channels to relocate and be virtual channels. I just rescanned in Lynchburg and doubled our channels OTA here.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We originally were swapping it with family who have FUBO+. My in-laws have that one because it is the only one with the regional sports network that has the Rockets & Astros. We got the YouTubeTV for the ESPN channels. Between the two both parties were in sports nirvana last fall. These days .... not so much.

Google has bloated YouTubeTV to the point where it is basically cable. No thanks.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote: July 11th, 2020, 10:40 am The $65 sticker shock is settling deep into my bones. No one was asking YouTubeTV for more channels. Massive disappointment. They are getting the axe from me shortly.

Easy there skippy. I was asking for Paramount Network so I could watch Yellowstone
The rest not so much and still better than DirecTv
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Peacock not being on basically any devices is ridiculous. Did they not learn from the HBO debacle a few months ago?

For the record, I have bought into the Yellowstone hype. John is Jock Ewing and the sons all fit characters on Dallas. Fun show with beautiful scenery. Montana is flat out amazing. I am dying to get back as soon as possible. This will be my first year without Montana time in well over a decade. That's 2020 in a nutshell.

I am still andry about the price hike back up to cable prices.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I am rewatching Battlestar Galactica on Peacock ! Such a good show Also watched Psych The Movie - Lassie Come Home. Amazing considering Lassie had an actual stroke in real life. I miss that show
Paramount on YouTubetv almost makes the price hike worth it so I can watch Yellowstone. Best show on TV right now
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]