This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By CCWMichael
Aloha,
For starters I reside in Pennsylvania for reference purposes.

Story: I am being treated for cancer and I have exausted my 480 FMLA hours. I also have exausted all of my paid time off.
In order to maintiain my employment full medical leave is the only option. I will be on this leave till at lest June 2019.
I had utilzed two months short term for my initial two surgeries then used up the rest of my FMLA hours for radiation and follow ups. This ended when I returned to work in July. Being I have the same diagnosis and it is beyond thirty days since I was last on full medical I will need to use short term for 90 days then go to long term.

What this means is our family is going to lose 50 percent of my income for an extended period. Not acceptable to me.

I have been searching for volunteer work to keep myself busy then I ran across some part time executive directors positions for non-profits that require about 20 hours per week and will pay betweeen 40 and 60 thousand per year. This, if they are willing to hire me for a few months, would fill in the lost wages.

I do not want to ask my employer this question so it comes here. If I am on full medical leave from my employer and recieving the above stated benefits is there anything prohibiting me from taking on supplemental work?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:Aloha,
For starters I reside in Pennsylvania for reference purposes.

Story: I am being treated for cancer and I have exausted my 480 FMLA hours. I also have exausted all of my paid time off.
In order to maintiain my employment full medical leave is the only option. I will be on this leave till at lest June 2019.
I had utilzed two months short term for my initial two surgeries then used up the rest of my FMLA hours for radiation and follow ups. This ended when I returned to work in July. Being I have the same diagnosis and it is beyond thirty days since I was last on full medical I will need to use short term for 90 days then go to long term.

What this means is our family is going to lose 50 percent of my income for an extended period. Not acceptable to me.

I have been searching for volunteer work to keep myself busy then I ran across some part time executive directors positions for non-profits that require about 20 hours per week and will pay betweeen 40 and 60 thousand per year. This, if they are willing to hire me for a few months, would fill in the lost wages.

I do not want to ask my employer this question so it comes here. If I am on full medical leave from my employer and recieving the above stated benefits is there anything prohibiting me from taking on supplemental work?
Check your paperwork but I say yes. It would certainly prohibit you from receiving SSDI. I’m not sure if your company would follow those same guidelines. There may be an income threshold in your policy Check the fine print and spend some $$ on a Disability Attorney
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Typically when applying for disability, you’d have to disclose personal (not spousal) income from other sources and that will be taken into consideration as part of the approval process. As far as what work can/can’t be done while on disability, it is best to either consult a disability attorney or read the guidelines, as I’m sure they are published somewhere.
By CCWMichael
Thanks guys. Maybe an attorney is the deal if the PPW from human resources does not clarify well enough.
And, just to clarify I am not applying for SSDI. tThis is short term through work then long term with my employers insurance. I should return to full time status well before eligibility for SSDI. And, frankly I would rather not hit SSDI.
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]