This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
This might be an addition to the Trump thread. It just furthers my claim that Trump is his own Party. He can’t reliably count on Republicans and certainly can’t rely on Democrats at all. Kavanaugh is more than qualified and these allegations are ridiculous and damage the claims of those who have actually been assaulted.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:This might be an addition to the Trump thread. It just furthers my claim that Trump is his own Party. He can’t reliably count on Republicans and certainly can’t rely on Democrats at all. Kavanaugh is more than qualified and these allegations are ridiculous and damage the claims of those who have actually been assaulted.
This does not matter to them at all.
By Jonathan Carone
What bothers me the most is the weaponizing of sexual assault. I’m not a fan of holding someone’s high school years against them 35 years later in general, but doing this cheapens and casts doubt on real sexual assault.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This is such a dangerous thing and is a no win situation for anybody involved. If it did happen when he was in high school does it dictate the kind of man and judge he is today? If it didn't happen, or if the events that happened weren't as described by the alleged victim, then it cheapens those who have legit gone through sexual assaults.

I am a huge advocate for those who have gone through sexual assault having their stories be heard as it helps others who have gone through similar situations but this just smells bad.

Many on this board know my personal feelings on the current administration but lets have some decency. I am so tired of the dirty tricks politicians continue to use. It is another great example as to why the American people, conservative and liberal, don't trust our federal government.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:What bothers me the most is the weaponizing of sexual assault. I’m not a fan of holding someone’s high school years against them 35 years later in general, but doing this cheapens and casts doubt on real sexual assault.
And makes it more difficult for those with legitimate claims to come forward
By CCWMichael
My bet.

Nominated for supreme court.

Her history for one. political that is.
Many willing to bac k the nominee from his past.

Clinton, Keith Ellison. Al Gore, how many politic ians have we used taxpayer money for to cover sexual alllegations and will not release names, Conyers.
This woman's story does not carry much weight (not minimizing sexual assault) but 35 years!
Why, if known about for weeks was this released at the last moment?

He will be affirmed but who will suffer are actual abuse victims.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I am shocked she is now backing out of testifying. I think that she had her bluff called.
I don't know if that is true or not. Here is what we do know: DiFi sat on this info. Ford's stated position is that she wanted to remain anonymous. DiFi announced the letter, but "out of respect" did not reveal the details... which of course would lead to a big investigation to find out who/what/when/where. True or not, it was a dirty trick. On face value, it was also unfair to Mrs. Ford. I don't see this nomination as having been "rushed through," but if DiFi thought something should have been done about this incident, she should have brought it up a long time ago!
By Rubicon
I think that the tide is turning on this. If she won't testify, then even the mavericks (Flake, etc.) are going to support holding the vote.

I think even people who aren't that conservative can see that if nominations can be ended simply by making 35 year old accusations that cannot be proven, are vociferously denied, and that the claimant isn't willing to subject to scrutiny --- then, our political and social culture will have taken a big step back. Accusers will be routinely brought out making unsubstantiated and unproven claims, and people won't have any opportunity to rebut or defend themselves.

That's what will happen from here on out if Kavanaugh withdraws without hearings on the accusations.

I think even many Democrats would agree that accusers have to be willing to go under oath and have their claims investigated (and I'm not talking about nebulous, ongoing FBI "investigations" that can't unearth anything beyond what we already know. Everyone knows that this will only be a "he said/she said").

It is obvious that Feinstein's bluff was called, and neither she nor her shill are willing to go through scrutiny on this. They were hoping that the allegations alone would deep-six the nomination.

Take heart, people! I think that the tide is turning on this.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
yeah the D's had their bluff called and now are backing away legally (not on social media). They know this isn't the FBI's jurisdiction, they know that every person claimed to have been there denied this happened. demanding the FBI look into this, mentioning it in therapy and a basically self administered lie detector test is absurd to think is enough proof of anything.

i believe they'll move forward and he'll be our next justice.
By Rubicon
Another factor in this --- besides the obvious: wanting to delay until the Democrats possibly take the majority --- is the fact that voting on Kavanaugh *now* is very dangerous for certain vulnerable Democrats in certain states. Voting "yes" to confirm puts them in danger with the base, and voting "no" to confirm hurts them with conservatives whose votes they need in a tight race.

This Kavanaugh vote is terrible for certain Democrats, and jeopardizes their chances to take the Senate. I'm hoping that the Republicans can somehow continue to hold the House.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
now that the bluff has been called, dems have to figure out what they want. do they want the senate or kav to be the justice. because i don't believe they can have both. Nothing brings out R voters like a vacant SCOTUS seat.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:i believe they'll move forward and he'll be our next justice.
Things are changing every day. Still think this is true? I am starting to doubt he will be confirmed.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:i believe they'll move forward and he'll be our next justice.
Things are changing every day. Still think this is true? I am starting to doubt he will be confirmed.
She keeps bluffing and they keep calling it. Even Flakey Flake has drawn some sort of line in the sand
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Ed Whelan, a conservative legal commentator with a pretty legit reputation for not putting things out there he can´t back up, is saying he is 100% confident that the validity of Kavanaugh´s denial will be confirmed.
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/ ... ors-830725

Because of the ambiguity of the accusations, a lot of things that normally might proove this, such as an alibi, would not. If this is legit, it is more likely something along the lines of the discovery of a correspondence from Ford indicating a plan to fabricate the accusation.

Her ¨terms¨are a blatant ploy to delay things. There is no way they believe the committee would agree to go against every principle of due process and make the accused testify first.
By Rubicon
oldflame wrote: If this is legit, it is more likely something along the lines of the discovery of a correspondence from Ford indicating a plan to fabricate the accusation.
If there is a smoking gun like that out there (and we have it), boy, oh boy, can you imagine the fallout from that? I mean, many suspect that this sort of things goes on all the time (notice how accusers always happen to also be liberal activists), but to have actual correspondence discussing the conspiracy? This would be atomic.

I'm afraid that what Whelan is referring to is simply classmates who claim that there is a classmate who looks like Kananaugh who assaulted her. This adds nothing to the evidence store.

If there is correspondence, though, and they are afraid that it might be compromised, that would explain an utter refusal to testify under oath. Can you imagine if she were strung along for a few hours, and then her letter/memo were sprung on her? That would be awesome!

Unfortunately, I don't think they have anything like that. I still think that it's likely that she will refuse to testify at all at the last minute (Wednesday/Thursday), and that the vote should actually have been held today (Friday), in hindsight. I think it's likely that they don't ever intend to have her testify, but they obviously don't want to admit that. They want to string the committee along, act as though they might testify, and stall by negotiating "terms" for testifying.

I think she was actually approached and asked to claim something that never happened happened. By glomming onto the # MeToo movement and insisting on being believed without evidence or due process, the nomination would be stalled at minimum and deep-sixed, best case scenario.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
10 pm deadline to put up or shut up

Ed Whelan naming that dude who lived there was a putz move.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Is it possible to know the truth anymore?

The media - on all sides - is biased. And, the public chooses their own truth.

Our country is more divided now than at any time since the Civil War. THE CIVIL WAR!!!!

Is it really possible to know what is true anymore?
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Is it possible to know the truth anymore?

The media - on all sides - is biased. And, the public chooses their own truth.

Our country is more divided now than at any time since the Civil War. THE CIVIL WAR!!!!

Is it really possible to know what is true anymore?
It certainly is hard. If anything, all of these situations show how much people's political perspectives and allegiances impact their ability to believe or not believe a story.

Which is funny logic because that's just not the way the world works. I.E., my guy is always telling the truth and your guy is always lying. That logic doesn't work.

As far as I'm concerned, I have no idea what the truth is in a lot of these situations. I've seen and heard enough unreported bad behavior over the years that has caused me not to question people who've held onto secrets for many years simply because they didn't feel comfortable coming forward in a timely manner. Reporting something in a timely manner doesn't impact my perspective of whether something is truthful or not.

That being said, before anyone's opportunities or livelihood is ruined, stuff needs to be investigated and all sides need to be heard and if someone is being accused of something, they have every right to hear what they are being accused of and respond accordingly. After that, the chips fall where they may.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It’s already being reported that a friend of this new femal accuser best friend will say she never told her. This is getting old
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:It’s already being reported that a friend of this new femal accuser best friend will say she never told her. This is getting old
I've had pretty traumatic things happen in my life that I haven't told my closest friends. My wife is the only person I've told a lot of things to. I don't think that makes things I've experienced any less real.

The reality is that "He said/She said" situations really stink and can be difficult to prove or disprove outside of witnesses and physical evidence.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:It’s already being reported that a friend of this new femal accuser best friend will say she never told her. This is getting old
I've had pretty traumatic things happen in my life that I haven't told my closest friends. My wife is the only person I've told a lot of things to. I don't think that makes things I've experienced any less real.

The reality is that "He said/She said" situations really stink and can be difficult to prove or disprove outside of witnesses and physical evidence.
The issue with Fords situation is so far everything she’s said has been shown untrue at worst unsubstantiated at best. Adding to it is the games her team is playing when it comes to testifying and it decreases her credibility to near Zero
As for these supposed new allegations, the fact that Ford has shaky credibility doesn’t do this one any favors. But let’s see how it plays out. But I’m skeptical
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:

The issue with Fords situation is so far everything she’s said has been shown untrue at worst unsubstantiated at best. Adding to it is the games her team is playing when it comes to testifying and it decreases her credibility to near Zero
As for these supposed new allegations, the fact that Ford has shaky credibility doesn’t do this one any favors. But let’s see how it plays out. But I’m skeptical
Yeah, I sort of pile it all in the, "I have no idea" category. It will be interesting to hear things directly from both of them this week. Not that it will change many minds. The only thing that would do that would be either an admission of guilt from either (I lied or I did it) or some sort of other paper trail that proves/disproves it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
So this new allegation is even more flimsy.
There was a drunk girl at a drunken party who either had a penis or a dildo shoved in her face. If it was a penis it was definitely Kavanaugh because after all this broke she had time to really think about it and conclude it was him. Even heard someone say his full name
Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Were not done https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/s[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]