This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Interesting story on one of our school's largest benefactors:
Louisville Courier Journal wrote:'Bounty hunter' George Rawlings may be the richest Kentuckian you've never heard of

Andrew Wolfson, Louisville Courier Journal
Published 9:27 a.m. ET April 5, 2018 | Updated 1:52 p.m. ET April 5, 2018

He divides his time between a 180-acre farm in Oldham County and the most expensive waterfront condominium ever sold in Palm Beach, Florida.

He and his wife own the biggest private employer in Oldham County, where 1,500 people labor in a sprawling complex the size of four football fields.

He has no children and has said he has no close friends. He plans to work until he dies.

His foundation’s tax records show he and his company gave away a staggering $75 million in recent years to both sectarian charities and evangelical causes, including youth camps in 13 underdeveloped countries. The late Rev. Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University, where the divinity school is named for the Rawlings family, is a favorite.
Click Here for Full Stry
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Interesting story on one of our school's largest benefactors:
Louisville Courier Journal wrote:'Bounty hunter' George Rawlings may be the richest Kentuckian you've never heard of

Andrew Wolfson, Louisville Courier Journal
Published 9:27 a.m. ET April 5, 2018 | Updated 1:52 p.m. ET April 5, 2018

He divides his time between a 180-acre farm in Oldham County and the most expensive waterfront condominium ever sold in Palm Beach, Florida.

He and his wife own the biggest private employer in Oldham County, where 1,500 people labor in a sprawling complex the size of four football fields.

He has no children and has said he has no close friends. He plans to work until he dies.

His foundation’s tax records show he and his company gave away a staggering $75 million in recent years to both sectarian charities and evangelical causes, including youth camps in 13 underdeveloped countries. The late Rev. Jerry Falwell’s Liberty University, where the divinity school is named for the Rawlings family, is a favorite.
Click Here for Full Stry
What a sad existence.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For some folks, their work is their passion. That certainly appears to be the case with George. He clearly has plenty of other interests. I completely respect the entrepreneurial spirit he possesses. The fact that he puts his money where his mouth is in regard to his faith is something that is sadly not common among folks in his tax bracket.

Growing up in Cincinnati, I remember his dad and Landmark being the first megachurch I ever experienced. John was truly Doc's pastoral mentor alongside one of my personal favorites B.R. Lakin. The fact that George would continue to honor his dad's legacy through the School of Divinity is especially cool. Then again, as an Old Hag I am getting to the point in my life where those types of gestures have greater meaning.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, everybody has different desires and passions in life. I desired to have a family life and pour my life into them and that is what satisfies me but that isn't for everybody.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have no direct knowledge, but perhaps that wasn't an option for George and his wife. I suspect he views those thousands of kids to whom he is providing camp experiences to be his family in some respect. I can respect that mindset.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I wondered if that may have been the case. I suspect you may be right.

See, you and I can agree sometimes!

Either that or I am getting old...
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
sounds like Paul. do whatever you feel God calls you to until you die. the ultimate life. not sure how its sad.
Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Wondering if you have looked into catching the n[…]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]