This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

I have used DirecTV Now for a bit over a year now. I signed up early and got the "Go Big" package and am grandfathered in at $35 per month ($60 for new subscribers). My cost is certainly hard to beat... except that the service doesn't work. My #1 use is for ESPN and I gain accesses with my subscription to the app. That works fine. The problem is when I am forced to use the DTVN app. It just doesn't work for me. I can play ESPN on one TV and have Netflix going on two others, but try to watch TBS via the DirecTV Now app without anything else on in the house? No go.

With all that said, I like my grandfathered price, and the primary usage is for ESPN, but I am thinking of switching. Thoughts? At this point, I think the next best alternative is "Hulu With Live TV." I would get access to most of the same sports channels (and all of the ones that count) for $40/mo, plus the "normal" hulu service (which we currently pay for) is included ($8/mo) in that price. Over all, it would be a net savings of $3/mo.

I am going to give it a try (7 days free), but wondering what y'all use. I know this topic comes up from time to time, but things seem to be rapidly changing.

EDIT: After I posted this, I noticed "YouTube's" service. The interesting thing with that one is that it explicitly states that you can share it between three people! I don't think you get access to the apps, however (i.e. ESPN, Disney Jr., etc.)
There is a new thing coming down the pike called ESPN+

ESPN+ will replace ALL of MLS Live at no additional cost beyond the $5 subscription. They will pool all other ESPN 3 type broadcasts for MLB, NHL and other things they already have the rights to for this service. MLBtv and NHLtv will also be available through ESPN+
thepostman wrote:I've had direct tv now for a few months since i get it for 10 bucks with my phone plan. It's not perfect but it's improved slowly in the short time I've had it.

Once they add the cloud dvr option this spring I'll be really happy.
I have been using the DVR feature in beta... it still has work to do! :?

What plan do you get for the $10? I currently have the "go big" plan ($60) for $35.
We were dish customers for 10 years. I had to call every 6 mo and get my package knocked down 20 bucks which wasnt' a big deal. i spent about 40 for that.

i was also paying about 50 for internet. last year, i canceled dish and tried all the streaming services. sling and psvue. i prefered sling for the price and set up. but we quickly began to almost every month hit our data cap on our internet. knowing we were moving i dealt with it. but it basically netted me almost 0 savings.

we just moved have a different internet provider with no data cap and i have 3 family logins for their dish/cable. i've loaded all the channels i care about onto my roku's, slap a tv guide app on my phone and am golden. use antennae for locals.
Class of 20Something wrote:There is a new thing coming down the pike called ESPN+

ESPN+ will replace ALL of MLS Live at no additional cost beyond the $5 subscription. They will pool all other ESPN 3 type broadcasts for MLB, NHL and other things they already have the rights to for this service. MLBtv and NHLtv will also be available through ESPN+
once they get out of contracts and can go espn/espn2/espnu in app form like hbo2go (meaning you don't need a cable/dish login to access), it will cripple the cable/dish companies even more.
Class of 20Something wrote:There is a new thing coming down the pike called ESPN+

Just to clarify, MLBtv and NHLtv will be available for purchase through ESPN+. I don’t know about the NHL package, but MLB is $115.99 for the year. Well worth it for me, but I watch pretty much every Red Sox game. YMMV.
adam42381 wrote:

Just to clarify, MLBtv and NHLtv will be available for purchase through ESPN+. I don’t know about the NHL package, but MLB is $115.99 for the year. Well worth it for me, but I watch pretty much every Red Sox game. YMMV.
I enjoy MLB games and the MLB.tv package is definitely worth it. The only thing it is missing is the MLB Network channel. If they streamed it live, I'd pay double.
SumItUp wrote:
adam42381 wrote:

I enjoy MLB games and the MLB.tv package is definitely worth it. The only thing it is missing is the MLB Network channel. If they streamed it live, I'd pay double.
I agree 100%. I cut the cord and really miss MLB Network, especially in the off-season.
I cancelled my cable several months ago and got YouTube TV. It works great. I pay $35 (now $40), has every sports channel you need, only service with all four local channels here in Lynchburg, unlimited DVR, can share with 5 people but only three can watch at a time. I use it with a Google Home and Chromecast to change channels by voice. I compared all options and as long as you can do without Discovery, Hallmark, and HGTV it's definitely worth it.
We get Hulu for free since I'm still a Sprint customer, but I don't ever watch it (the kids like some of the stuff on there). I do most of my TV watching on Sling or FuboTV. I'm basically paying for two duplicate services, which is stupid, but I really like Sling's interface (on a Firestick), however FuboTV has all the soccer channels I want, and dvr which Sling lacks. I watch a ton of soccer and Fubo is awesome for it. I probably need to check out YoutubeTV and see if it's better.
ALUmnus wrote:We get Hulu for free since I'm still a Sprint customer, but I don't ever watch it (the kids like some of the stuff on there). I do most of my TV watching on Sling or FuboTV. I'm basically paying for two duplicate services, which is stupid, but I really like Sling's interface (on a Firestick), however FuboTV has all the soccer channels I want, and dvr which Sling lacks. I watch a ton of soccer and Fubo is awesome for it. I probably need to check out YoutubeTV and see if it's better.
Hulu is free for Sprint customers? How do I sign up?
adam42381 wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:We get Hulu for free since I'm still a Sprint customer, but I don't ever watch it (the kids like some of the stuff on there). I do most of my TV watching on Sling or FuboTV. I'm basically paying for two duplicate services, which is stupid, but I really like Sling's interface (on a Firestick), however FuboTV has all the soccer channels I want, and dvr which Sling lacks. I watch a ton of soccer and Fubo is awesome for it. I probably need to check out YoutubeTV and see if it's better.
https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/hulu.html
ALUmnus wrote:
adam42381 wrote:
https://www.sprint.com/en/shop/services/hulu.html
Done. Thanks!
So I’d love to do the cut the cord and cost thing but everyone I see who has done so always has a situation where they can’t get this or that channel or can’t get 4K or can’t DVR. When that gets corrected I’ll probably do it. But right now the high cost is off set by the ability to watch what I want
RubberMallet wrote:

once they get out of contracts and can go espn/espn2/espnu in app form like hbo2go (meaning you don't need a cable/dish login to access), it will cripple the cable/dish companies even more.
Except when you add in ESPN, ESPN2, SEC Network, etc. the cost of ESPN+ will skyrocket. I'd imagine to at least $15, $20 to $25 would probably in play unless they plan to go the route Disney is going to take with their streaming service and underprice from the outset to rapidly grow the customer base.
ESPN/Disney has made its fortune by bundling onto cable systems in the past two decades. Now that the cable model has been blown up, I suspect there intention is to use the same business practices to bundle ESPN channels you don't want on top of the primaries you do. I would be shocked if ESPN's service proved to cost effective. And I would expect that with ESPN's purchase of their longtime rival regional networks that they will use the same leverage on YouTube, Sling and others that they did on the cable systems. Enjoy this ride while it lasts.
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:

Except when you add in ESPN, ESPN2, SEC Network, etc. the cost of ESPN+ will skyrocket. I'd imagine to at least $15, $20 to $25 would probably in play unless they plan to go the route Disney is going to take with their streaming service and underprice from the outset to rapidly grow the customer base.
they don't have to skyrocket the cost. they just have to get what they get per customer int he cable/dish realm now. which is around $6. i imagine getting all the espn channels would cost near 10 bucks a month would be attractive to those who want it. i almost would. cord cutting would be super easy.
that said, espn is in their own little hell right now.

Get up! is pure garbage tv and nobody is watching it. even though the 3 hosts make a combine 15 mil a year. count in the hundreds of people laid off and the already very skeptical internal rumblings of the show and the guy that created is is a fired crack head. things are getting better for ESPN.
RubberMallet wrote:they don't have to skyrocket the cost. they just have to get what they get per customer int he cable/dish realm now. which is around $6. i imagine getting all the espn channels would cost near 10 bucks a month would be attractive to those who want it. i almost would. cord cutting would be super easy.
They will eventually need more than that because their expenses are getting spread out among fewer and fewer people every year.
anyone been exploring the ESPN+ trial since it debuted last Thursday? I haven’t had the time. Any early opinions?

Looks like they went with wildcat’s theory: underprice ($4.99/mo or $49.99/yr) to hook you, but price may go up as content is added.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]