This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Ewglenn
I previously did a semester at LU but transferred to South Carolina for Physical Education. I got a pretty good job offer, not physical education, and was wondering if anyone has an Interdisciplinary Studies degree? I'm a veteran and could really use the degree for promotion opportunities. Is it really frowned upon career wise? I just know I can get it done in a semester so I'm thinking about it. I'm thinking about law school/MBA after awhile so I'm trying to save my GI Bill. Any information would help especially if you or someone you know has the degree.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:I previously did a semester at LU but transferred to South Carolina for Physical Education. I got a pretty good job offer, not physical education, and was wondering if anyone has an Interdisciplinary Studies degree? I'm a veteran and could really use the degree for promotion opportunities. Is it really frowned upon career wise? I just know I can get it done in a semester so I'm thinking about it. I'm thinking about law school/MBA after awhile so I'm trying to save my GI Bill. Any information would help especially if you or someone you know has the degree.
A degree is a degree. No one even cares what my degree was back in the day. Get the piece of paper
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
A degree is a degree. No one even cares what my degree was back in the day. Get the piece of paper
If the question is "get the degree vs. having no degree," absolutely agree. If you are trying to get into law school, you would be advised to research admissions requirements.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
If the question is "get the degree vs. having no degree," absolutely agree. If you are trying to get into law school, you would be advised to research admissions requirements.
LSAT scores are what's important for Law School. MBA you will actually need a core of business classes
By Old Red
Glad you asked (I actually spent some time working as an academic advisor). I'd say go for it and save your GI Bill for the MBA. As far as prerequisites go, you can probably pick some up as you finish the interdisciplinary studies. I have a good friend who finished his undergrad in Interdisciplinary and was able get into the MBA-Project Management. You should be fine.

Another thing to consider (that can help work around the prerequisites) is to apply into the Master of Arts in Executive Leadership once you finish your BS, and then use it to bridge into the MBA. That may be your quickest/easiest option.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Many of our Honors students do an Interdisciplinary Studies major and go to law school.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:I previously did a semester at LU but transferred to South Carolina for Physical Education. I got a pretty good job offer, not physical education, and was wondering if anyone has an Interdisciplinary Studies degree? I'm a veteran and could really use the degree for promotion opportunities. Is it really frowned upon career wise? I just know I can get it done in a semester so I'm thinking about it. I'm thinking about law school/MBA after awhile so I'm trying to save my GI Bill. Any information would help especially if you or someone you know has the degree.
I agree, just get the degree.

For the academic gurus, what's the difference between "Interdisciplinary Studies" and "General Studies" ?
By Ewglenn
Old Red wrote:Glad you asked (I actually spent some time working as an academic advisor). I'd say go for it and save your GI Bill for the MBA. As far as prerequisites go, you can probably pick some up as you finish the interdisciplinary studies. I have a good friend who finished his undergrad in Interdisciplinary and was able get into the MBA-Project Management. You should be fine.

Another thing to consider (that can help work around the prerequisites) is to apply into the Master of Arts in Executive Leadership once you finish your BS, and then use it to bridge into the MBA. That may be your quickest/easiest option.
Thanks y'all, I'll go ahead and do it. I'm looking forward to being finished. Also I'll look into the Master of Arts in Executive Leadership. I am gearing the Interdisciplinary Studies towards upper level business classes just to keep the MBA option open. Also I'm new to being an LU fan, my wife is an alumni but not really into the sports, what are the traditions or things that set y'all apart? We are moving to SD so if Liberty plays near by I'll try to catch a game.
By Class of 20Something
Ewglenn wrote:
Old Red wrote:Glad you asked (I actually spent some time working as an academic advisor). I'd say go for it and save your GI Bill for the MBA. As far as prerequisites go, you can probably pick some up as you finish the interdisciplinary studies. I have a good friend who finished his undergrad in Interdisciplinary and was able get into the MBA-Project Management. You should be fine.

Thanks y'all, I'll go ahead and do it. I'm looking forward to being finished. Also I'll look into the Master of Arts in Executive Leadership. I am gearing the Interdisciplinary Studies towards upper level business classes just to keep the MBA option open. Also I'm new to being an LU fan, my wife is an alumni but not really into the sports, what are the traditions or things that set y'all apart? We are moving to SD so if Liberty plays near by I'll try to catch a game.
I think 3 quarters of the entire campus is pretty unique.

That aside. Without alcohol, tailgating isn't like most other universities. The event of a football game is definitely at an FBS level. It's a big production. Whatever game is THE marque game of the season is worth season tickets by itself.

The massive student section behind the visitors bench has clearly gotten into the heads of more than a few teams at the Bill. I think our HFA gives us closer to 7 points than 3. The stadium as a whole is getting louder. The aptly named Baptist Side is starting to ease up on game days and get crazy. 2017 needs to be a home crowd(not students) growing year because our schedules will let opposing fans travel well. I don't think we can afford to drop under 18k average home attendance this season.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
Sorry I missed this! My undergrad is in Interdisciplinary Studies, and I'm glad I got it. Ended up actually using it -- mine is Business and Religion, because I only had to take some upper level religion classes. God used that to get me into full time ministry, so there is a real benefit.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:For the academic gurus, what's the difference between "Interdisciplinary Studies" and "General Studies" ?
Ballcoach, Interdisciplinary Studies is where you can have 2 or 3 concentrations. A concentration is fewer hours than a major but more hours than a minor.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]