This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Class of 20Something wrote:Curfew
Dorm inspections
Alcohol
Tobacco
Dress code
Abortions
Dances

If they backed off Curfew and Dances, it might go a long way. Tobacco well every campus is getting like that. Alcohol, it legally affects 1/4 of the student population anyway. Leave that in place. Dress code, I actually enjoyed not having my classmates look like they just climbed out of animal house, leave it. Liberty abortion is murder, but I think some kind of rehabilitation rather than a fine and expulsion would be better.

Those are some of the rules that hit other discussion boards. I never had an issue with the rules, but can understand some 18 year olds wanting to remove some of that structure.
LU fines people for having an abortion? Expelling them doesn't surprise me even though it's absurd.
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
Dorm inspections
Alcohol
Tobacco
Dress code
Abortions
Dances

If they backed off Curfew and Dances, it might go a long way. Tobacco well every campus is getting like that. Alcohol, it legally affects 1/4 of the student population anyway. Leave that in place. Dress code, I actually enjoyed not having my classmates look like they just climbed out of animal house, leave it. Liberty abortion is murder, but I think some kind of rehabilitation rather than a fine and expulsion would be better.

Those are some of the rules that hit other discussion boards. I never had an issue with the rules, but can understand some 18 year olds wanting to remove some of that structure.
LU fines people for having an abortion? Expelling them doesn't surprise me even though it's absurd.

Is it me, or didn't these students sign a contract to follow the guidelines of the rules of LU? You give into one thing, then all of a sudden the mission is different from it's original claim. Don't think the school should point these students out, but there are consequences when one makes unrightful decisions. That's just the reality of life. If don't agree with it, then it is your opinion which doesn't make it right.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
Dorm inspections
Alcohol
Tobacco
Dress code
Abortions
Dances

Is it me, or didn't these students sign a contract to follow the guidelines of the rules of LU? You give into one thing, then all of a sudden the mission is different from it's original claim. Don't think the school should point these students out, but there are consequences when one makes unrightful decisions. That's just the reality of life. If don't agree with it, then it is your opinion which doesn't make it right.
'Give up one little thing'. You mean like wearing ties to class every day. Or dresses? No secular music? KJV Only?
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
Dorm inspections
Alcohol
Tobacco
Dress code
Abortions
Dances

There are consequences without a doubt and I am fairly certain they will be dealing with consequences for the rest of their lives. But tell me this, what is better...surrounding that person with love to help build them back up or throw them out into the world without any kind of direction? Your point of view on this is completely heartless and either you have never talked with someone who has had an abortion and has suffered with guilt for years with little help from the church or you just really are that heartless.
There's a difference in behavior management and setting up guardrails to protect students.

Curfew and keeping opposite sexes out of the dorms are guardrails. They are their for the benefit of the student even if they don't realize it at the time.

No alcohol for 21+ (and faculty), dress code, and cleanliness inspections are all behavior modifications. They distract from the overall mission of the school and keep potentially great students away.

I'm all for guardrails and structure. I'm not at all in favor of behavior modification.
I grew up in the Methodist church. There was no urgency.

Went to the Presbyterian church, disagreed on some doctrine, namely Baptism.

I am a Baptist now and happily so. However, it seems the Baptist church as a whole, does not have a reputation of being one of the more grace-filled denominations.

I know we are human, but a happy medium of grace and justice could go a long way. LU does an incredible job with CSER outreach. LU Send is growing. But somehow it still feels like there is a lack of compassion for its own students.

Times that break you emotionally and spiritually are opportunities to get built back up. As large as Liberty is, it seems a shame there isn't a department dedicated to rebuilding the broken. I guess in theory, Student Leadership should catch it, but I think thats too much to ask of 18-22 year olds.

Just an observation.

Why isn't "compassionate evangelicals" a common phrase?
@thepostman

Well sir, that is your opinion. We live in a society that is unrealistic. These young adults believe that they're entitled to anything because most were taughtbthat they can be and even do whatever they want. That is unrealistic, so yes they need rules . if they want to sneak and do whatever they want, then they shouldn't be shocked when they are caught. Imagine if those rules weren't there. I would since I was just one of them a few years ago. This isn't a heartless thing, its literally biblical. Train up a child so when they become adults, they can put away those childish behaviors. With some discipline that has be characterized as abuse(although those are not, like beating[not severely] your child when they have done something wrong), so most kids are not discipline. I don't need to go deep into that subject. Point is, these kids can go somewhere else. If they want to party and do everything that is unlawful in the "Liberty Way," then they can apply thereor transfer. It's not that difficult.
Class of 20Something wrote:I grew up in the Methodist church. There was no urgency.

Went to the Presbyterian church, disagreed on some doctrine, namely Baptism.

I am a Baptist now and happily so. However, it seems the Baptist church as a whole, does not have a reputation of being one of the more grace-filled denominations.

I know we are human, but a happy medium of grace and justice could go a long way. LU does an incredible job with CSER outreach. LU Send is growing. But somehow it still feels like there is a lack of compassion for its own students.

Times that break you emotionally and spiritually are opportunities to get built back up. As large as Liberty is, it seems a shame there isn't a department dedicated to rebuilding the broken. I guess in theory, Student Leadership should catch it, but I think thats too much to ask of 18-22 year olds.

Just an observation.

Why isn't "compassionate evangelicals" a common phrase?

Even if you do something in compassion, it can still look negative towards someone who is intrigued with their flesh(sin). I'm not saying that I'm perfect but that's why we repent and at times there's consequences in our action. We may not like it but it is what it is. The same way for LU. They can be there for folks who are struggling, but if one committed something that was not allowed by the contract that was agreed upon, then the consequences has to be pursued. I have experience an incident where someone who was suppose to be kicked out and LU gave the person another chance. However LU has rules and they can't just change it because some people overuse Christian clichés when the person should known better or shouldn't have attended the school if they couldn't fully agree with the terms.

P.S. I've done some stupid things in school which I'm not proud of. So I'm saying this from experience and how I'm glad LU had their rules even when I didn't really like them. Nonetheless I respected their stance because of seeing the extreme disasters occurring with many calmed rules in other schools.
I think there is a difficult to define line between structure and restricting individual liberties.

You talk about situations where grace was extended. Honestly, I have rarely heard anyone claim LU showed them grace. I think calling showing someone grace a "overused Christian cliché" is exactly the issue.

Look. I'm not advocating that the school doesn't need rules, structure, or the Liberty Way. It absolutely does. Someone asked what keeps some students away and I gave an answer.

I think some of the rules for faculty and students are outdated and restrictive and prevent us from having higher quality students and professors.
Purple Haize wrote:Cruzen would have made a good Inquisitor. Or Amish leader

Inquisitor: legalized Christianity

Amish: legalized society

My statement is common sense. Because you don't agree, don't try to compare me to something that was horrific because you don't like what I said. As I stated, didn't the students sign a contract? LU didn't force these kids or any of you guys who attended the school to attend. Try to at least have a rational response. You can still be compassionate to someone even if they will have consequences. Apparently to some of you guys, that isn't possible. There are rules set for LU, why is that difficult to understand?
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Cruzen would have made a good Inquisitor. Or Amish leader

Inquisitor: legalized Christianity

Amish: legalized society

My statement is common sense. Because you don't agree, don't try to compare me to something that was horrific because you don't like what I said. As I stated, didn't the students sign a contract? LU didn't force these kids or any of you guys who attended the school to attend. Try to at least have a rational response. You can still be compassionate to someone even if they will have consequences. Apparently to some of you guys, that isn't possible. There are rules set for LU, why is that difficult to understand?
The rules have changed over the years
Man cruzan I wish you the best in this life and I pray you don't have to deal with anybody in your life making unwise choices because your attitude is what leads people to suicide. It's the side of the church that is still there but I avoid.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:@thepostman

Well sir, that is your opinion. We live in a society that is unrealistic. These young adults believe that they're entitled to anything because most were taughtbthat they can be and even do whatever they want. That is unrealistic, so yes they need rules . if they want to sneak and do whatever they want, then they shouldn't be shocked when they are caught. Imagine if those rules weren't there. I would since I was just one of them a few years ago. This isn't a heartless thing, its literally biblical. Train up a child so when they become adults, they can put away those childish behaviors. With some discipline that has be characterized as abuse(although those are not, like beating[not severely] your child when they have done something wrong), so most kids are not discipline. I don't need to go deep into that subject. Point is, these kids can go somewhere else. If they want to party and do everything that is unlawful in the "Liberty Way," then they can apply thereor transfer. It's not that difficult.
Please clarify, are you endorsing beating children?
thepostman wrote:Man cruzan I wish you the best in this life and I pray you don't have to deal with anybody in your life making unwise choices because your attitude is what leads people to suicide. It's the side of the church that is still there but I avoid.
So by your statement, if someone makes a mistake and breaks rules, we should forgive them and that is it? So of the person receives a fine, suspension or expulsion based on the act, then the school is heartless for pursuing the fines for such action? Well those ideas are why the church is in the state that is in noe and people are living of the world while thinking that since they're saved then it's all good. People make mistakes and the consequences helps to grow that person. I'm sure every mistake that you make, you didn't get away with it. So as a Christian university, does LU just have to forgive and that's it? That's the Christian thing to do? Sounds a bit like Legalism to me.
thepostman wrote:Man cruzan I wish you the best in this life and I pray you don't have to deal with anybody in your life making unwise choices because your attitude is what leads people to suicide. It's the side of the church that is still there but I avoid.
Again I agree with you. What is the World coming to? Can we still blame the eclipse?
adam42381 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:@thepostman

Please clarify, are you endorsing beating children?
Only until their morale and morals improve. Still waiting on him to let us all know if LU should go back to the rules in place when the school first opened or not
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
So by your statement, if someone makes a mistake and breaks rules, we should forgive them and that is it? So of the person receives a fine, suspension or expulsion based on the act, then the school is heartless for pursuing the fines for such action? Well those ideas are why the church is in the state that is in noe and people are living of the world while thinking that since they're saved then it's all good. People make mistakes and the consequences helps to grow that person. I'm sure every mistake that you make, you didn't get away with it. So as a Christian university, does LU just have to forgive and that's it? That's the Christian thing to do? Sounds a bit like Legalism to me.
Clearly you are reading into my post what you want to see. I firmly believe in consequences. Sin has consequences. But kicking someone go the curb during a time of real crisis is wrong.
Cruzan, can you define a "light beating?" WTH is wrong with you man.

Edit to add, my kids are pretty well disciplined and we don't have to beat them. If that's the only way you have to instill discipline, the problem is with you and you alone.
Yacht Rock wrote:Cruzan, can you define a "light beating?" WTH is wrong with you man.

Edit to add, my kids are pretty well disciplined and we don't have to beat them. If that's the only way you have to instill discipline, the problem is with you and you alone.
I want clarification on this as well. If he's endorsing beating kids, he's a monster.
adam42381 wrote:
Yacht Rock wrote:Cruzan, can you define a "light beating?" WTH is wrong with you man.

I want clarification on this as well. If he's endorsing beating kids, he's a monster.
Adrian Peterson is an alright dude. Okay, y'all? /s
adam42381 wrote:

It is "only" a light beating and if the kid is getting it clearly he deserves it!! How dare you guys suggest any kind of punishment could be wrong! If they kid is getting a light beating then they clearly deserved it!

Obviously this is tongue and cheek. I have come to the conclusion Cruzan is 1 of 2 things. He is either a troll or he is a person locked inside his bubble and doesn't begin to try to actually educate himself on anything outside of that bubble. If it is the latter then I feel bad for the people in his life.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]