This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
We're heading to Nashville for the Vanderbilt / Alabama game.

I have never been to Nashville and know little about the city...other than I've heard the food is great. We're looking around at hotels and not really sure where to stay. Probably want something decent, but not expensive and fairly close to the stadium. Any suggestions?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I spent a week in Nashville for a conference, a couple months ago. I was near hockey arena and Country Music Hall of Fame. I stayed in Omni Hotel, which is rather expensive. Everything in that area seemed expensive. Not sure about Vandy area. I did not go out that way because Vandy doesn't have a softball team.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You've never been so I suggest staying at The Opryland Hotel. No clue where it is at in relation to the stadium etc but it is iconic and if you've never been to Nashville it's a must see
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I spent a week in Nashville for a conference, a couple months ago. I was near hockey arena and Country Music Hall of Fame. I stayed in Omni Hotel, which is rather expensive. Everything in that area seemed expensive. Not sure about Vandy area. I did not go out that way because Vandy doesn't have a softball team.
Define 'expensive'
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I spent a week in Nashville for a conference, a couple months ago. I was near hockey arena and Country Music Hall of Fame. I stayed in Omni Hotel, which is rather expensive. Everything in that area seemed expensive. Not sure about Vandy area. I did not go out that way because Vandy doesn't have a softball team.
Must have been the big FOCC conference

(Fraternal Order of Clueless Curmudgeons)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If you have time to do some sight seeing, Andrew Jackson's house is in Nashville: http://thehermitage.com/ .
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:What is FOCC ?
I thought you were a softball fan
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am a member of NFCA (National Fastpitch Coaches Association). The NFCA Convention is in Las Vegas in December. I not be going. In 2018 it is in Philadelphia or Atlantic City. I plan to go then.

Still have no idea what FOCC is.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, don't worry about FOCC. Oldflame was just beeing mean.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
When we drove through a few years ago, we stayed at the Opryland hotel and it wasn't too expensive and was pretty comfortable.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:We're heading to Nashville for the Vanderbilt / Alabama game.
Are you a BAMA fan? What caused you to choose that game?

I love visiting Nashville, but it has been a decade since I have last visited. The Country Music Hall of Fame is worth visiting, as is "Studio B." I concur with the Opryland Hotel... at least to visit. It is especially fun to visit during the extended Christmas holiday season. You would be there a bit early (not much!) for that though.

There are a number of great restaurants there, but don't think I can be of too much help. If you have never been to an Old Spaghetti Factory, I believe there is one downtown. Not "fine dining," but a fun experience.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:

I love visiting Nashville, but it has been a decade since I have last visited. The Country Music Hall of Fame is worth visiting, as is "Studio B." I concur with the Opryland Hotel... at least to visit. It is especially fun to visit during the extended Christmas holiday season. You would be there a bit early (not much!) for that though.

There are a number of great restaurants there, but don't think I can be of too much help. If you have never been to an Old Spaghetti Factory, I believe there is one downtown. Not "fine dining," but a fun experience.
Heck no. lol. I cheer for Liberty, Duke and when Duke falls apart, Va Tech. Long story short, but I started playing an online college football game around 5 years ago. I don't put the time into it that I used to, but the community there is very strong. Maybe stronger than FF even. They do a yearly meet-up at a game, and this year is Vandy/Bama.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestion...may have to check it out.

As for the Opryland Hotel, that seems really fun but probably out of my budget for this trip. I'm wanting to keep it somewhere in the $140 to $175 range.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
alabama24 wrote:

You'll always regret going to Nashville and not staying at the Opryland. Just sayin
Heck no. lol. I cheer for Liberty, Duke and when Duke falls apart, Va Tech. Long story short, but I started playing an online college football game around 5 years ago. I don't put the time into it that I used to, but the community there is very strong. Maybe stronger than FF even. They do a yearly meet-up at a game, and this year is Vandy/Bama.

Thanks for the restaurant suggestion...may have to check it out.

As for the Opryland Hotel, that seems really fun but probably out of my budget for this trip. I'm wanting to keep it somewhere in the $140 to $175 range.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Define 'expensive'
Anything over what a hotel and a meal at Burger King or Country Cookin' would've been in the 70's
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:Anything over what a hotel and a meal at Burger King or Country Cookin' would've been in the 70's
Ballcoach is my kind of people. :oldhag
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Expensive to me=any hotel room over $100 a night. Any meal over $10.(exception would be a Seafood place).
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
That's what I'm talking about! :oldhag :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Expensive to me=any hotel room over $100 a night. Any meal over $10.(exception would be a Seafood place).
I'm frightened for any room under $100. Unless I'm renting by the hour witha woman of the evening!! 8)
I can understand Cider though. Where he's from anything with plumbing is high cotton
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Expensive to me=any hotel room over $100 a night. Any meal over $10.(exception would be a Seafood place).
I'm frightened for any room under $100. Unless I'm renting by the hour witha woman of the evening!! 8)
I can understand Cider though. Where he's from anything with plumbing is high cotton
I can't say I'm necessarily frightened by any room under $100 (although I am completely frightened by any hotel with a number in its name), but yeah - I'll use AirBnB before I'd stay at an actual hotel with rates that are acceptable to Ballcoach and Cider.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Don't laugh But I have stayed at some really nice Motel 6's for under 100. I get a military discount at most places. Also a couple Super 8s. But I have found Motel 6 is better than Super 8, most places.

and Motel 6 leaves the light on for me.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Don't laugh But I have stayed at some really nice Motel 6's for under 100. I get a military discount at most places. Also a couple Super 8s. But I have found Motel 6 is better than Super 8, most places.

and Motel 6 leaves the light on for me.
Most of my 'Dates' prefer me to keep the lights off....

Yeah Motel 6 just did a massive nationwide room upgrade. They are actually supposed to be pretty nice. But Conrad Hilton and I have been together for a long time
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I have moved much of hotel choices from Marriott properties over to Hyatt in recent years. The latter has invested more wisely for folks who travel the way I do for business.

When I am on my own nickel, Drury is still first choice in the bang for the buck category.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:I have moved much of hotel choices from Marriott properties over to Hyatt in recent years. The latter has invested more wisely for folks who travel the way I do for business.

When I am on my own nickel, Drury is still first choice in the bang for the buck category.
My brother works for Marriott so I'm able to get his family rate on their family properties (Courtyard, Fairfield, etc.) which is typically $35/night. I don't get points with his rate, but that's quite alright considering the discount. It's astounding how much disparity amongst their properties.

The Courtyards and Fairfields in larger cities tend to be in nice historic buildings whereas the ones along the highway are a crapshoot. We just stayed at a Courtyard in Philly which is in the old City Hall Annex which was very nice for the price. It was better than the 4 star Club Quarters where we stayed the night before down the street a couple blocks (Courtyard was unavailable).
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]