This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't want to be overly dramatic about this but I am bidding farewell to flamefans. There are a number of reasons that this has to happen but there isn't really a need to dive too deep into those.

I will still lurk and see what's going on but I won't be posting anymore.

I know this feels very BJWILLIAMS of me and even very sly like for being so cryptic but such is life.

If you search for Jesse Gray on Facebook you'll find me if you miss me that badly.

Thanks for the memories guys. It's been real.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Even Super Jon came back later under his real name, so don't lock the door behind you. Thanks for all your contributions to FF.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Who are you ?
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Godspeed brother.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:Godspeed brother.
Youre still here?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:JK37 has proposed a trade:
PAMedic for thepostman.
I second it
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:I don't want to be overly dramatic about this but I am bidding farewell to flamefans. There are a number of reasons that this has to happen but there isn't really a need to dive too deep into those.

I will still lurk and see what's going on but I won't be posting anymore.

I know this feels very BJWILLIAMS of me and even very sly like for being so cryptic but such is life.

If you search for Jesse Gray on Facebook you'll find me if you miss me that badly.

Thanks for the memories guys. It's been real.
Sometimes I say the same thing...and then a few weeks later, I can't resist the urge and post again.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Agreed on both counts...some can even be very much like your average high school with the various cliques and people can be legitimately bullied which is even sadder
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Agreed on both counts...some can even be very much like your average high school with the various cliques and people can be legitimately bullied which is even sadder
Especially when people send you threatening PM's :)
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Umm and when was the last time that happened since you made a point of always bringing it up?
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
what is flamefans. this is a sea of red. this place has been slowly dying for a while. slowly bleeding out. should of changed the name to a trickle of red.

but the reality is that most forums are dying. this one just hardly had life. social media groups are much better suited for mobile platforms and generally quicker.
By Jonathan Carone
RubberMallet wrote:but the reality is that most forums are dying. this one just hardly had life. social media groups are much better suited for mobile platforms and generally quicker.
This is so true. We haven't had students on here in six years.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:but the reality is that most forums are dying. this one just hardly had life. social media groups are much better suited for mobile platforms and generally quicker.
How many students know about it? Plus LU likes to clamp down on all things not depicting the campus as skittles and rainbows
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
How many students know about it? Plus LU likes to clamp down on all things not depicting the campus as skittles and rainbows
I'd guess that most students don't even know what message boards are. The Red Sox board I frequent has an average age of 35-40. This number was 10 years younger 10 years ago. Boards aren't adding many new members, especially not younger ones.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:FWIW, traffic actually has been at or near all time high levels recently. Posting, obviously, is down dramatically from a few years ago. A lot of it is the chilling effect of an administration that wants so badly to know the name, rank, and serial number of everyone who writes a word here, that they are willing to spend tons of money and time to harass alumni over it.

The other part is definitely just the phenomenon of message boards dying.

ASOR, and the broader community we share across our platforms (twitter, Facebook, instagram) are still growing at a strong pace. Even though activity here continues to dwindle, we see little to no reason to discontinue the platform at this point.
This. A 1,000 x's this. Posting your true thoughts on here will get you on the Persona Non Grata list at LU. It's sad really.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
In the past year 165 new members have joined. 23 of them have actually posted at least once. Only one has more than 50 posts (I'm not including SuperJon in either of these figures).
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
traffic is still high on almost every forum i frequent. but its generally not human interaction. a few boards i help run (hunting and fishing) i made the observation of slowly seeing less and less people post and they pointed to the growing number of hits, but the majority of hits came from sniffers and were mostly abroad.
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:FWIW, traffic actually has been at or near all time high levels recently. Posting, obviously, is down dramatically from a few years ago. A lot of it is the chilling effect of an administration that wants so badly to know the name, rank, and serial number of everyone who writes a word here, that they are willing to spend tons of money and time to harass alumni over it.

The other part is definitely just the phenomenon of message boards dying.

ASOR, and the broader community we share across our platforms (twitter, Facebook, instagram) are still growing at a strong pace. Even though activity here continues to dwindle, we see little to no reason to discontinue the platform at this point.
This. A 1,000 x's this. Posting your true thoughts on here will get you on the Persona Non Grata list at LU. It's sad really.
So I've seen this stated a few times before but I don't really understand. I work at LU. I have no personal information on this site. How would posting my thoughts on here have any influence over my work life? Unless I'm technically ignorant, what is there to fear?
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The challenge of having true community dialogue in the myriad of new social media platforms has proven very challenging for most sports communities. We are far from alone. Platforms come and go in popularity so quickly that you have to be exceptionally adept to leverage the traffic wherever it occurs. Forums like this one seem to be a nice place for deeper conversations than can be achieved in tweets or snaps.

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm that[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]