This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
BuryYourDuke wrote:FWIW, traffic actually has been at or near all time high levels recently. Posting, obviously, is down dramatically from a few years ago. A lot of it is the chilling effect of an administration that wants so badly to know the name, rank, and serial number of everyone who writes a word here, that they are willing to spend tons of money and time to harass alumni over it.

The other part is definitely just the phenomenon of message boards dying.

ASOR, and the broader community we share across our platforms (twitter, Facebook, instagram) are still growing at a strong pace. Even though activity here continues to dwindle, we see little to no reason to discontinue the platform at this point.
This. A 1,000 x's this. Posting your true thoughts on here will get you on the Persona Non Grata list at LU. It's sad really.
So I've seen this stated a few times before but I don't really understand. I work at LU. I have no personal information on this site. How would posting my thoughts on here have any influence over my work life? Unless I'm technically ignorant, what is there to fear?
Well you violated Rule #1 - Don't identify yourself as an LU Employee
Rule #1a - Don't ever be critical of anything LU or anyone at LU does.
Rule #2 - Don't reveal anything about what you do at LU
Rule #3 - Don't let anyone affiliated with LU know you post on here

Cider does a good job toeing the line. Of course, he's also a World Famous Quiz Bowl coach so he gets some slack. Plus, he's a Marshall guy so a lot of us feel sorry for him!!
But in all honesty, the Administration HATES this site. They have done everything they can to shut it down. They SAY they don't read it but they do. They actively discourage Employees from reading the site.
And if you get on 'The List' you get to put up with all sorts of false accusations and assumptions
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
RubberMallet wrote:but the reality is that most forums are dying. this one just hardly had life. social media groups are much better suited for mobile platforms and generally quicker.
This is so true. We haven't had students on here in six years.
That was why I ended up 'killing' WinthropFans. We weren't getting any new students or younger fans. About the only new members we did get were friends/family of players, which caused problems. And besides that, except for a few people, the most active users from the 2007-2012 range were fading away, leaving me to just have discussions with myself or with a couple of other people. You guys have done well in staying strong in a era when message boards don't generally work anymore...you all had a big base to begin with, and have enough variety of topics to discuss to keep things active even if particular sports aren't being talked about as much as they used to. My problem was that I just kept it focused on WU sports and limited discussions of other topics...so when interest in basketball faded at the end of the Peele era, and when baseball has failed to make a postseason in a decade, people stopped talking and never came back because there was nothing else to hold their interest on my site.
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
I hate to see postman go, he's been a long-timer here. I'm sure he'll eventually see the light and come back :wink:

The general sentiment here is accurate. Message boards are a dying breed. The fact this place (from the Firehouse, to FF, to forums.ASOR) has survived as long as it has is really remarkable. It speaks a lot to the passion we all have for not just our athletic department but our entire school.

There's so many examples of sites like this one that have died including the likes of WinthropFans.com. CockyNation.com, a site similar to ours for Jacksonville State, is also in the process of being shut down.

With all that said, there's still a place for message boards. I don't know of an FBS school that doesn't have one (or two or three or ten). You can't have discussions like the ones we have here on social media.

If/when we ever make the jump to FBS, we will see a big boost in traffic. Not just from our own fans/supporters, but from visiting team's fans. During football season, our highest traffic weeks are when we are playing teams with big fan bases - JMU, App St, ODU, even Coastal during the heat of that rivalry.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Add to the social trends the issues that have popped up with our schools leadership. I remember the first questions about the LCA scholarship issue and how some to write a contrary view of the Administration. Fast forward several years and we see that their are many of us who strongly oppose the decisions that have been made and have been simultaneously embarrassed and discouraged by some of the things going on. I think this has an impact on the number of interactions and often the tenor of them.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]