This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Mrs. Cider and I have used pre-paid cell phones for years, to avoid a monthly bill. Is anybody else in that boat and could recommend a prepaid cell phone company?
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
I use AT&T GoPhone. $45 a month ($40 if you use Autopay). No contract, so I can cancel or change plans whenever I want. Gives me unlimited minutes and texts, and starting this Friday I'll have 4GB of data (bumped up from 3GB). Rollover data as well, though unused data only rolls over for one month.

They have pay by the minute plans as well and I used to use that. Didn't have a data option when I was on that but that may have changed.

Service works really well out here in the woods in the middle of nowhere on the outskirts of Farmville, get pretty good 4G LTE speeds and calls are clear.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Mrs. Cider and I have used pre-paid cell phones for years, to avoid a monthly bill. Is anybody else in that boat and could recommend a prepaid cell phone company?
Anthony Weiner might
By rhezick
Cricket Wireless. AT&T owned, $35/month for 2.5 gigs of data or $30 for 1 gig. I like them for two reasons:
1. They have brick and mortar stores. Have a problem, take it to them (one is next to the Kroger on Timberlake)
2. What you see is what you get. Most cell phone carriers taxes/fees amount to 15%. Cricket's advertised rate is just that.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Cricket is better value but service quality isn't nearly as good. Although now with AT&T bumping the $45/40 GoPhone to 4GB of data a month Cricket really isn't actually any better of a value.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
Boom! Mobile, www.boom.us, has new prepaid offerings. Current 4G unlimited talk and text plans are $19.99 (500MB), $29.99 (2GB) and $39.99 (5GB). Taxes and fees are included in that price.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Total Wireless is $35 per month with 5GB. With taxes and fees it is around $37.50 Service is excellent in this area, they are on Verizon's network.
By rhezick
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Cricket is better value but service quality isn't nearly as good. Although now with AT&T bumping the $45/40 GoPhone to 4GB of data a month Cricket really isn't actually any better of a value.
There isn't a difference in call quality, as they are both AT&T products, so from what I can tell it's the same service. There is a difference in the speed, as Cricket is throttled at 8mbps, and GoPhones are not. Also, I believe gophone charges taxes and fees, so there's an extra $5 (although I could be wrong on that).

That being said, yes if you need the extra 1.5 gigs of data, their $40 plan seems attractive. Similar to jumping down to Cricket's $30/month plan with 1 gig. Just depends on how much you need. $30 for 1gig, $35 for 2.5gigs, or $45ish for 4 gigs. For our family 2.5 gigs per line is the sweet spot.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:Boom! Mobile, http://www.boom.us, has new prepaid offerings. Current 4G unlimited talk and text plans are $19.99 (500MB), $29.99 (2GB) and $39.99 (5GB). Taxes and fees are included in that price.
We love Boom!
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Cricket is better value but service quality isn't nearly as good. Although now with AT&T bumping the $45/40 GoPhone to 4GB of data a month Cricket really isn't actually any better of a value.
There isn't a difference in call quality, as they are both AT&T products, so from what I can tell it's the same service. There is a difference in the speed, as Cricket is throttled at 8mbps, and GoPhones are not. Also, I believe gophone charges taxes and fees, so there's an extra $5 (although I could be wrong on that).

That being said, yes if you need the extra 1.5 gigs of data, their $40 plan seems attractive. Similar to jumping down to Cricket's $30/month plan with 1 gig. Just depends on how much you need. $30 for 1gig, $35 for 2.5gigs, or $45ish for 4 gigs. For our family 2.5 gigs per line is the sweet spot.
The fee is like a flat 50-cent fee everytime you refill on the pay per minute plans, at least it was 50 cents when I would add $25 every 3 months because the charge would always end up beign $25.50. The $40 plan is a straight up $40, no extra taxes and fees.

I'm not sure how much a second lin is on the GoPhone plan I have. I'm single with no kids so never looked into it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for all your input, guys. Right now, I have a Net10 flip phone that charges me 10 cents per minute and 5 cents per text. I spend $100 every 6 months to get 1500 minutes (cheaper online deal). Can anybody's company beat that on a cost per minute?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I've heard good things about Straight Talk...they pair off AT&T and Verizon towers and they have 5gb for $45 and 10gb for 55. Their flip/basic phone plan is $40
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I read it as well...didn't realize tracfone had so many subcarriers
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Straighttalk is best phone deal out there.
Total Wireless is $10 cheaper and uses same network. Only difference is limited phones. If you can live without the latest greatest phone this is the better deal.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Not overly familiar from experience with the prepaid/no contract MVNOs other than Boost Mobile, which is terrible. AT&T has been good to me for like 7 years now.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Boost is powered by Sprint (who is terrible despite what their commercials try to tell you) so that makes sense
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Yep, Sprint's coverage map still says it has a strong signal where I live. The signal is actually non-existent and that is the case for a several mile radius
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Just get an Obamaphone while you still can. :D
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]