This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
so if not required to you wouldn't have liability car insurance? your chances of an accident are pretty slim too. catastrophic health insurance coverage at the least would provide you essentially "liability" for us all that would curb ridiculous costs of healthcare. If that makes sense.

obviously "catastrophic" care is really not even available but i'm not saying you should go out onto the marketplace and dump whatever godawful amount of money on insurance. so don't think thats what i'm saying.

i think they should offer the subsidies to even those with employer based hc.

btw for a family of 5 i pay close to 10 grand a year after my employer chips in. its absurd.
If you don't have car insurance, you can't drive a car. So, you don't really have an option. It's easy to not have health insurance, just file for a religious exemption and it has no effect. FWIW, if I had a family, I would probably just get the insurance. However, I'm not really concerned for my health and neither is my wife really. If it's just us though, and I can't financially justify it over five years, I'm opting out.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Comparing car insurance to health insurance is dumb...that's my point. You are far, far more likely to be in a car wreck than you are to have a situation that results in a large medical expense.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:Comparing car insurance to health insurance is dumb...that's my point. You are far, far more likely to be in a car wreck than you are to have a situation that results in a large medical expense.
And car accidents that result in injury are also very likely. Dealing with those medical bills are always fun. The auto insurance will take a looooonnngg time to pay.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
VAGolf wrote:Comparing car insurance to health insurance is dumb...that's my point. You are far, far more likely to be in a car wreck than you are to have a situation that results in a large medical expense.
And car accidents that result in injury are also very likely. Dealing with those medical bills are always fun. The auto insurance will take a looooonnngg time to pay.
A vast majority of car accidents are just simple fender benders. I've been in three accidents in my life, two fender benders and one in which I rolled my JEEP. Out of those three incidents, I've managed to cut a finger.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Not planning to have any kids?
By Kolzilla41
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
VAGolf wrote:Maybe my thinking is wrong, but how does it not make sense for a young couple in good health, to just not have coverage? I'm not going to spend $400 / mo on healthcare...we don't go to the doctor that often. If something happens, it only makes sense if the costs is over $5,000 (how often is that?) Why not just not have coverage, put $400 into a savings account and file for a religious exemption on my tax return so that I don't have to worry about a fine?
That's a good question. It's obviously a gamble, but may be worth considering if you are confident you won't have any medical issues.
Or worry about getting pregnant.
By Didlibertywin
I hate Obamacare.

As of 2017, my area of NC will only have one option: Blue Cross Blue Shield. With two small children, we can't afford it and we can't afford not to have it, even with the tax credit. I don't know what to do, or what we can do.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
Not planning to have any kids?
Heck no. lol. I like my freedom.
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
Didlibertywin wrote:I hate Obamacare.

As of 2017, my area of NC will only have one option: Blue Cross Blue Shield. With two small children, we can't afford it and we can't afford not to have it, even with the tax credit. I don't know what to do, or what we can do.
there are co-ops called Christian Health Ministries..I am doing some research on it and looking at it as a real option for 2017 medical insurance. Operations like these are given an exempt status by Obamacare to where you wouldn't be taxed for not having health insurance.

Basically a pot of Christians forming together...you pay your monthly fee and are responsible for anything until you reach 500 for each incident after that Christian Health Ministries acts as your laison and settles with hospital/doctor on your behalf. My bro and sister in law have it and have had great success with it.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
720 a month , for 12,000 deductible for three people.

Glad Open Enrollment was before the election. I was leaning third party, but we gotta get this fixed.
By bballfan84
Registration Days Posts
if Trump can hammer this home it might be enough to swing this thing
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
as many accidents as there are daily, there are just as many people in hospitals racking up thousands of dollars in bills. just 3 days in the hospital for an infection is like a 15k bill. wouldn't you say thats a large medical expense?
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Wvflame2013 wrote:I have gone without insurance the past year. Went to sign up for ACA in January and was going to pay 200$ a month with a 3k deductible which is not sustainable with my part time job salary at kroger. Hit my year mark at kroger and met the requirements to receive insurance. They may pay me crap but the insurance is affordable at least. I'll be paying around 40$ a month with 1k deductible, 30$ copay. I guess the union got the workers a really good deal on deal insurance at least.
My brother works at Kroger and the health insurance is fantastic. Kroger union is a pretty good one. They recently worked out a pretty nice new deal from what my brother was telling me. They came close to striking but got the deal done in time.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
RubberMallet wrote:
as many accidents as there are daily, there are just as many people in hospitals racking up thousands of dollars in bills. just 3 days in the hospital for an infection is like a 15k bill. wouldn't you say thats a large medical expense?
No, there are not just as many people in hospitals as there are accidents. You can't just simply make things up. The likelihood of you developing an infection, that results in a $15k bill is incredibly low. Almost everyone at some point will be involved in a car accident. I find it kind of hysterical that one would even try to argue with this.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
There are FAR more people in hospitals than there are auto accidents. What are you talking about, VAGolf?
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:There are FAR more people in hospitals than there are auto accidents. What are you talking about, VAGolf?
I think he is including fender benders and parking lot door dings in his accident total. :roll:

But for heaven's sake! Don't argue with him!!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
If you want to be a moron and not have any health insurance that is your call but don't try to paint it as anything other then idiotic. Geez
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:If you want to be a moron and not have any health insurance that is your call but don't try to paint it as anything other then idiotic. Geez
And that should be his right. He should not have to be forced to buy something that he doesn't feel he needs. If he plays the odds and loses then he can deal with the consequences
Personal Responsibility. What a concept
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I don't think anyone was disagreeing with that but yeah, bad decision, especially with a family.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:And I didn't disagree he has the right
I'm not disagreeing that you weren't disagreeing :mrgreen:

I was just using his decision to make a broader point.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Yacht Rock wrote:I don't think anyone was disagreeing with that but yeah, bad decision, especially with a family.
I don't have a family. It's just me and my wife and neither of us want kids. My only point here is that I can't find data to justify paying $400 a month for a $5,600 deductible. We're both healthy and the likelihood of us exceeding the deductible is incredibly slim.
flamehunter wrote:
adam42381 wrote:There are FAR more people in hospitals than there are auto accidents. What are you talking about, VAGolf?
I think he is including fender benders and parking lot door dings in his accident total. :roll:

But for heaven's sake! Don't argue with him!!
I was including fender benders in that total. Why? Because the argument that was presented by another poster is that the benefits between health insurance and car insurance are equal. I pay $90 a month for car insurance and it covers everything. Just a few months ago, I was actually in a fender bender and my car insurance saved me a little over $2,500. Additionally, if you don't have car insurance, you aren't allowed to drive. Yet, with health insurance, I can just file for a religious exemption and it has zero effect on my day-to-day life. Something nearly catastrophic would have to happen for us to exceed the health insurance deductible. On the contrary, if I just push the gas a little too hard or look down to take a phone call, the car insurance becomes very valuable. My only point with the fender benders was to show why there's no real comparison with car insurance to health insurance.

My goal of this thread wasn't to argue with everyone. I just wanted someone to present me with actual data that proves paying $400 a month for a $5,600 deductible actually makes fiscal sense. It might make sense for a 55 year old husband with three kids and his wife has cancer. However, I can't fathom how it makes sense for two healthy 27 year old's.

I don't really understand why some of you are resorting to calling my decision idiotic (I still haven't made the decision). All I wanted was some actual data to prove that it's worth it. And if it isn't, then Obamacare sucks (hence the title). lol.
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
I consider my wife my family so I'd say if you have a wife, you have a family.

As far as kids, when I was younger like you, I didn't think I wanted kids. Now I have two and am adopting another.

In the end, medical stuff is funny. Twist your leg the wrong way, etc and next thing you know, you need surgery. I know enough 20 somethings that have had some random thing come up and needed their medical.

But, you're in a place I've never had to be. I've been blessed to have great medical benefits since I was 19 and didn't use them until a random infection at 21. It was worth it then though.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
http://www.usacoverage.com/auto-insuran ... -year.html
According to the National Highway Traffic Administration, car accidents happen every minute of the day. Motor vehicle accidents occur in any part of the world every 60 seconds. And if it’s all summed up in a yearly basis,there are 5.25 million driving accidents that take place per year.
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/hospital.htm
Persons with overnight stays
Percent of persons with overnight hospital stays: 7.3%
Source: Summary Health Statistics Tables for the U.S. Population: National Health Interview Survey, 2014, Table P-10[PDF - 514 KB]
7.3% of ~320 million people in the US = 23.4 million hospitalizations.
Over 4 times as many hospitalizations as auto accidents.

You said:
No, there are not just as many people in hospitals as there are accidents. You can't just simply make things up.
Appears you are the one making things up.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]