This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Whoa how much do you have in savings!!????
Or it could be he'll open a credit card and pay it off w/ 0% interest over the first 12 months, or if not do a balance transfer to a card that offers 0% on balance transfers for a certain amount of time or transfer to a new card w/ 0% interest.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
A guy told me a couple days ago that he pays over 900.00 a month for insurance on him and his wife. That is robbery without a gun.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:A guy told me a couple days ago that he pays over 900.00 a month for insurance on him and his wife. That is robbery without a gun.
Good luck to him then, going to go up even more when Obamacare is canned, if they are even to get it for both of them if they have a pre-existing condition.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: Good luck to him then, going to go up even more when Obamacare is canned, if they are even to get it for both of them if they have a pre-existing condition.
you cannot be this stupid. hence why you're a troll. lol
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote: Good luck to him then, going to go up even more when Obamacare is canned, if they are even to get it for both of them if they have a pre-existing condition.
you cannot be this stupid. hence why you're a troll. lol
Don't. Feed. The. Troll.
By Jonathan Carone
These protests are a great example of the superiority entitlement complex from the far left that can't understand how people may disagree with them.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:These protests are a great example of the superiority entitlement complex from the far left that can't understand how people may disagree with them.
I have no idea what they are protesting. Everyone of those cities went to HRC
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote: Not one of you have provided real data or numbers to prove that insurance, at my age, is a financially wise decision.

I understand that there is risk in not having insurance...I've never said it's a no-risk decision. However, I don't believe there is anything dumb in questioning the actual financial benefit of health insurance to someone my age.
You're missing the connection, or lack of, between what insurance is fundamentally, and benefiting financially. Of course statistically you're going to come out on the short end. That's how insurance companies exist and profit. This is all about risk and hedging it. Statistics are great until you get a brain tumor. Or an ingrown toenail.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
LUconn wrote:
VAGolf wrote: Not one of you have provided real data or numbers to prove that insurance, at my age, is a financially wise decision.

I understand that there is risk in not having insurance...I've never said it's a no-risk decision. However, I don't believe there is anything dumb in questioning the actual financial benefit of health insurance to someone my age.
You're missing the connection, or lack of, between what insurance is fundamentally, and benefiting financially. Of course statistically you're going to come out on the short end. That's how insurance companies exist and profit. This is all about risk and hedging it. Statistics are great until you get a brain tumor. "Or an ingrown toenail."
You don't want these. Trust me, they're extremely painful and not as cheap as you'd think. Just wait until your third visit where they can't stop the growth and they decide to cauterize the nerves. That ain't no joke.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
http://www.roanoke.com/opinion/commenta ... e8a1e.html

Some say we’re ignorant. Others say we’re stubborn. Still more say we just need a little push. But none of these are right.

We’re avoiding the Affordable Care Act for one simple reason: It’s not a good deal for us.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
But to date, only 30 percent of those buying Affordable Care Act plans in Virginia have been millennials.
27 percent of Virginia’s population who are millennials
Sounds like millennials are signing up at a higher rate than the rest of the population. This article makes no sense.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Follow-up to my post from a couple of months ago...
And to summarize my situation, I'm semi-retired/self employed, and a few years away from official retirement age so I'm blessed to be able to even do this. My wife still works (her choice) and has her own healthcare. Our income doesn't allow for any subsidy so I have to pay full cost. In NC, only one choice now - Blue Cross. That premium was so high, it wasn't a viable option. Me going on my wife's plan and paying full price was about the same cost so that wasn't a good option.

What I did do was take a "short-term" policy offered by a major insurance carrier. It will cover me, for what it's worth, for nearly a full year. By then, hopefully, I might have some better and more affordable options. Anyhow, my premium is much lower with the short-term policy. I will have to pay everything out of pocket until I meet the deductible and co-insurance thresholds, so hopefully I'll have a healthy year. That's what I'm banking on. But in the event of something serious, I will be covered and won't get wiped out. It's kind of like catastrophe coverage. And, to tell you the truth, it's not much worse coverage than a conventional policy with deductibles what they are today.

I will have to pay the tax penalty, but even with that and paying most costs out of pocket, I will come out much better cost-wise than paying the high monthly premiums of regular coverage. I'm holding out some hope that once Obamacare is repealed or seriously altered, the tax penalty will be lifted and I'll come out even better. And, again, by 2018 hopefully we'll all have some options.

Hope this might help, in case some of you are in similar situations and having to fund their own coverage.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That is essentially what we wound up doing with a United plan after Aetna completely left the State of Texas. Our plan wound up being basically a third of what the Blue Cross HMO on the exhange was running.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
I'm just glad I got a catastrophic policy when I got out of college. Got grandfathered in after AHA went into effect so I still get to keep it despite being 32. Otherwise I'd have to just pay the fine because I can't afford anything else.

I used to qualify for price reductions on the exchange because of my income level, but my employer offered me health insurance so that went out the window. Was great that they offered me health insurance as the premium is about the same price as what I have but with much better coverage.

Problem? I am only a 10-month employee and thus my employer will only pay into my health insurance premium for 10 months, the other two months would cost over $1K each month. So basically my employer screwed me by offering health insurance.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Was great that they offered me health insurance as the premium is about the same price as what I have but with much better coverage.

Problem? I am only a 10-month employee and thus my employer will only pay into my health insurance premium for 10 months, the other two months would cost over $1K each month. So basically my employer screwed me by offering health insurance.
That is $166/mo. How is that bad?
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:Was great that they offered me health insurance as the premium is about the same price as what I have but with much better coverage.

That is $166/mo. How is that bad?
$1000+ a month for two months isn't $166 a month. That's $2000+ for only 2 months of coverage. The other 10 months it was like $150 or something like that.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
lynchburgwildcats wrote: $1000+ a month for two months isn't $166 a month. That's $2000+ for only 2 months of coverage. The other 10 months it was like $150 or something like that.
$1000 x 2 = $2,000.
$2,000 / 12 = $166.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
$150 X 10 = $1500
$1500 + $2000 = $3500
$3500 ÷ 12 = $292/month averaged out.
That's not bad in this day. I certainly wouldn't say they screwed you over.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote: $1000+ a month for two months isn't $166 a month. That's $2000+ for only 2 months of coverage. The other 10 months it was like $150 or something like that.
$1000 x 2 = $2,000.
$2,000 / 12 = $166.
You aren't listening. It's not $2000 total for 12 months... :roll:

It's $150 each month for 10 months I am under contract, then $100 per months for the 2 months I am not under contract.

That averages out to $292 a month, and that's just coverage for myself. That is 2.336 times more per month than what I am paying now. Sure, the coverage is a lot better, but I rarely use it, certainly nowhere near enough to make up for the difference in monthly cost. If something really bad were to happen that cost a lot of money, the catastrophic policy would have me covered on that.

If my employer hadn't offered me health insurance I could have gotten health insurance for somewhere in the $150-175 a month last time I looked on the exchange. Still more than what I am paying now, but coverage would have been much better. Essentially, them offering me health insurance effectively drove up the cost of my health insurance by over $100 a month if I wanted to get off the catastrophic policy.
By LUminary
Registration Days Posts
Is anyone familiar with or had any experience with Medishare or Liberty Share? Curious how they compare to conventional insurance. I know they are Christian-based groups, and that premiums and I assume deductibles aren't as high, but I don't really know a thing about how good the coverage is.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUminary wrote:Is anyone familiar with or had any experience with Medishare or Liberty Share? Curious how they compare to conventional insurance. I know they are Christian-based groups, and that premiums and I assume deductibles aren't as high, but I don't really know a thing about how good the coverage is.
I have only heard good things from those who have joined. I have 0 first hand experience only anecdotal so I'm not sure how much help I can offer.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]