This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Looks like a whopper. Stay safe, Olldflame.
Appreciate your concern Sly I am way over here on the East end of the island, while Matthew is tracking to pass by to the West side, just grazing Haiti tomorrow and Tuesday At most we should get some rain, which we actually still need, although local showers over the past few months have greatly alleviated what was a pretty serious water shortage

Cuba and the Bahamas should bear the brunt of this storm Unless he veers to the West he will miss FL, but there is certainly a risk for the entire East coast in the coming days

https://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/ ... ne-Matthew
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Still about 20 hours from Matthew reaching it's closest point to La Romana, but we did get some showers and gusting winds this morning, and it looks like it will be that way off and on for a couple of days The Haitians who live across the street from us in a half completed house (they are there at the request of the owners because some thieves who were operating in the area had been using the vacant property to store stolen goods til they could fence them) are very worried about their family back in Haiti Matthew is going to dump an enormous amount of rain there, and if you are familiar with the history of the country, that is pretty much the worst thing that can happen because it is virtually completely deforested, and heavy rain means flooding and landslides
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
We have friends who operate a non-profit in Haiti and they tell us that since most fo the nation has no access to news, the majority of country is completely unaware of the impending storm. And even if they were aware, there is nothing they can do to defend themselves without resources. Really sad situation on the other side of Hispaniola from you.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Rising waters will be the greatest danger in the DR. Don't be afraid to go to higher ground if needed.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
My parents live on the mid east coast of Florida. They are boarding up and sandbagging their doors but staying put. I think this is a terrible decision but apparently a decision most people are making. There have been so many close calls over the years that people just don't take it seriously. In my mind it is better to be safe than sorry but I guess the majority of people down there don't feel that way.

Pray for this people down there and for my family. I'm mildly worried about them.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:My parents live on the mid east coast of Florida. They are boarding up and sandbagging their doors but staying put. I think this is a terrible decision but apparently a decision most people are making. There have been so many close calls over the years that people just don't take it seriously. In my mind it is better to be safe than sorry but I guess the majority of people down there don't feel that way.

Pray for this people down there and for my family. I'm mildly worried about them.
I have a co-workers down there. They say if you aren't out by now, you aren't getting out. Highways are jammed etc. The one I just talked to said she has food and water for a month. A gallon of Tito's and her guns. What could go wrong!
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:My parents live on the mid east coast of Florida. They are boarding up and sandbagging their doors but staying put. I think this is a terrible decision but apparently a decision most people are making. There have been so many close calls over the years that people just don't take it seriously. In my mind it is better to be safe than sorry but I guess the majority of people down there don't feel that way.

I have a co-workers down there. They say if you aren't out by now, you aren't getting out. Highways are jammed etc. The one I just talked to said she has food and water for a month. A gallon of Tito's and her guns. What could go wrong!
She's gonna need more Tito's. I miss the cheap Florida prices on that one.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
That's what I said. She said it was all that was left!
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:That's what I said. She said it was all that was left!
Haha. At $26.99 a handle, we always had some. Can't do that with the NC monopoly charging $40.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]