This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Is anyone being affected by this? I have had several conversations with my friends in other athletics departments and its going to put a hurting on a lot of schools across the country.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Could you give some context for those of us who might not be sure what that is?
Last edited by BJWilliams on September 29th, 2016, 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:COuld you give some context for those of us who might not be sure what that is?
Since you don't know what it is? :D

It's the new 'overtime' laws coming into effect
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I was including myself in that by default PH...reading is fundamental my good man.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Google is your friend.
He might be more of a Yahoo guy
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
When someone posts a fairly obscure acronym, the onus is on them to explain what they're talking about.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
I work for a fairly large corporation, and it's really causing heartburn for HR. Unless a company is willing to up everyone's pay to the minimum threshold, a lot of currently-salaried employees are going to end up being hourly. And because the feds have made the overtime rules chained to weekly pay, it's causing additional issues with flexible scheduling. And because HR now has to figure this all out, it's putting a pause on a lot of hiring, promotions, raises, job transfers, etc. Like any new regulation, they'll get used to it, but in the meantime it's a big headache.

More of the government trying to fix a problem that's not there, and in the process creating new problems.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
When someone posts a fairly obscure acronym, the onus is on them to explain what they're talking about.
True but even if they don't just Google it. Much faster than asking random dudes on a message board.

Plus it's BJ. Don't ruin this!
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
I'm actually already hourly but I haven't heard a dang thing about what my school isa going to be doing about it. However, this pretty much guarantees I'll never be bumped from a 10-month to 12-month employee. It sucks, but long term not a big deal since I am going to be getting out of athletics when a non-athletics career opportunity arises. It was neat when I was in my 20s getting paid to work in sports, but after over a decade in the field, the hours required, especially on nights and weekends for 8-9 months a year, has gotten beyond old. Since the start of September, I literally will not get a weekend completely devoid of work until Thanksgiving. Sure some weekends it only involves me writing up a recap and doing some social media, but that is still work. Then I have a break around Christmas, but after that I won't get another break 100% devoid of work until May. I don't know how the hell people do this and maintain some sort of life outside of work.

I know a bunch of other people in athletic departments at other schools have heard what they are being dealt.

One is being told he can only average 5 OT hours a week when he is routinely having to put in 60. He is the only person in that office, so I don't know how that school is going to survive on that. The student-athletes, coaches, and fans are definitely going to be getting a vastly inferior experience and product because of this.

Another person I know has been told he can't work more than 4o hours.

Others are being told they have to figure out how to take off two whole months throughout the year.

Assistant coaches at many schools are being classified as non-faculty teachers because on-field coaching accounts for 50% of their work, and thus they are exempt from the OT rules. Some are even being told they aren't allowed to work in the summer and if they do they are doing it on a volunteer basis. Good luck winning games when your coaches can't get paid for recruiting in the summer.

Certainly expect to see a lot less traveling out of athletic trainers that fall below the threshold, certainly the non-contact sports will see a big decrease in athletic training travel. Travel is virtually guaranteed to be eliminated for SIDs who end up being hourly employees, either that or they are going to have to be allowed to chop out a significant part of their office duties.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Sorry guys let me explain,

basically the fed gov is mandating an increase in salary for all "exempt"(from overtime) or salaried employees from 23k to 47k. Any employees under that threshold in pay must be moved to "non-exempt" or hourly. Thats a rough description cause its a little more complicated than that but you get the gist of it.
I am one of those who falls under the threshold of 47K. while it wouldn't cost my employer a lot to bump me up to the threshold they have chosen to move me to hourly. Which I'm completely ok with since i'm an equipment coordinator and i work between 60-100 hours a week depending on the season. however, I was told by the HR department that because we are operating at a deficit (2.4 million to be exact) that they haven't budgeted for my position to get overtime therefore i was only allowed to work 40 hour weeks for the same rate of pay. I laughed because i didn't think they were serious. but they were. so weekend Laundry and having multiple certified equipment managers on campus during competitions on the weekends is going to really affect the athletics department here. We are already the most understaffed equipment department in the conference and now two of the three full time equipment guys have been told we can only work 40 hours a week. I work that in a weekend for baseball lol. we have told them and the coaches whats going to happen(we start the 40 hour thing oct 17th) and they are livid. the appeals were frozen by the state until march 1. so its going to be interesting around here. I guess I'll get to play more golf?
for those of you who aren't familiar with what an equipment manager does, the job requires 60+ hours a week in the fall and spring. we get some time off in the summer and winter but my responsibilities span 4 sports including baseball,football, track and softball.
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:Sorry guys let me explain,

basically the fed gov is mandating an increase in salary for all "exempt"(from overtime) or salaried employees from 23k to 47k. Any employees under that threshold in pay must be moved to "non-exempt" or hourly. Thats a rough description cause its a little more complicated than that but you get the gist of it.
I am one of those who falls under the threshold of 47K. while it wouldn't cost my employer a lot to bump me up to the threshold they have chosen to move me to hourly. Which I'm completely ok with since i'm an equipment coordinator and i work between 60-100 hours a week depending on the season. however, I was told by the HR department that because we are operating at a deficit (2.4 million to be exact) that they haven't budgeted for my position to get overtime therefore i was only allowed to work 40 hour weeks for the same rate of pay. I laughed because i didn't think they were serious. but they were. so weekend Laundry and having multiple certified equipment managers on campus during competitions on the weekends is going to really affect the athletics department here. We are already the most understaffed equipment department in the conference and now two of the three full time equipment guys have been told we can only work 40 hours a week. I work that in a weekend for baseball lol. we have told them and the coaches whats going to happen(we start the 40 hour thing oct 17th) and they are livid. the appeals were frozen by the state until march 1. so its going to be interesting around here. I guess I'll get to play more golf?
for those of you who aren't familiar with what an equipment manager does, the job requires 60+ hours a week in the fall and spring. we get some time off in the summer and winter but my responsibilities span 4 sports including baseball,football, track and softball.
Got them SID type hours I see. What takes up the largest amount of time for an equipment manager other than laundry? I'm pretty much uneducated on that job, don't really have much in the way of equipment managers in the D3 athletics world. And most of the time if the position even exists it's a secondary duty that involves just doing the laundry. At LC the position didn't even exist (I assume it still doesn't), but a few of the GAs were given the task of laundry as a secondary duty for a slight uptick in hourly pay. The teams were on their own for handling every other aspect of equipment, and for men's basketball that always ended up getting handed off to me since I was the manager.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
I'm not surprised. which is not a knock on you I have had this conversation with hundreds of people who don't know what the job entails. thats a good thing that people don't know my position exists. That usually means I'm doing my job correctly. So for me specifically my job highlights:
1. Ordering- I serve as the middle man between our uniform suppliers, equipment companies, etc. and our coaches. Coaches and I meet, we design unis, decide on colors numbers for players etc. and then I go and order everything. most of the time we order 6-8 months in advance so we don't know incoming freshman sizes so I order on a bell curve based on the previous years and control the inventory of what we have available to our athletes.
2. Maintaining inventory- Every item that arrives and leaves my equipment room is documented. we operate on a 7 figure budget between my 3 main sports and an 8 figure number in football which is one of my "part time" sports. when gear comes in it gets counted and put away or issued to the players. when a baseball guy comes and asks for a pair of batting gloves it goes down on one of the more impressive excel documents you've probably seen lol.
3. Budget management- between my boss, the other assistant and I we maintain and police the entire budgets for all of our sports.
4. Letter awards- unfortunately i work and one of the few schools left that doesn't make the coaches or an administrator handle letter awards.
5. Since I am mainly baseball I'm setting up and tearing down practice and shagging balls inbetween.
6. Laundry- Mostly done by the student managers. not me. which is how it actually is at most schools.

Equipment managers (at most institutions) are required to have an AEMA(athletic equipment managers association) certification. with the concussion issues in football and lacrosse coming to a head this is going to be a requirement mandated by the NCAA soon. The cert test is written by the same people who write the Athletic training cert exam. Thats basically a cliff notes version of my job. hope that helps lol
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote: the job requires 60+ hours a week in the fall and spring. we get some time off in the summer and winter but my responsibilities span 4 sports including baseball,football, track and softball.
And this is where they run into the problems with the weekly overtime requirements. They can't flatten out these jobs on an annual basis, so jobs that are more seasonal in nature get screwed. I'm not sure what they're going to do with teachers. Wouldn't surprise me if there was some type of union exception for them.
By Jonathan Carone
I've seen some people talking about how non-profits may be exempted from this. Those people talking about it are in the church world so I'm not sure how legit that is or not.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Didn't even think about Pastor's etc. 'Helen, I know you are in the Hospital but I can't come pray with you because our Church Board won't approve the overtime pay and I've already worked my 40 hrs this week'
Who am I kidding? We know Pastors only work on Sunday!
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I've seen some people talking about how non-profits may be exempted from this. Those people talking about it are in the church world so I'm not sure how legit that is or not.
Yea I think more related to churches... LU certainly isn't exempt. Honestly I think they're just waiting right until the last minute to see if Trump wins and overturns it just so they can avoid the paperwork (the gap between 12/1 and inauguration day not withstanding)
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
flamesfilmguy wrote: the job requires 60+ hours a week in the fall and spring. we get some time off in the summer and winter but my responsibilities span 4 sports including baseball,football, track and softball.
And this is where they run into the problems with the weekly overtime requirements. They can't flatten out these jobs on an annual basis, so jobs that are more seasonal in nature get screwed. I'm not sure what they're going to do with teachers. Wouldn't surprise me if there was some type of union exception for them.
Teaching is considered exempt from overtime laws
By lynchburgwildcats
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I've seen some people talking about how non-profits may be exempted from this. Those people talking about it are in the church world so I'm not sure how legit that is or not.
Colleges are most definitely required to comply
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Barf

On a side note when will I get my overtime pay ;)
North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

This was already proposed to the powers that be be[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]

Oh, the Great Unwashed ... alumni of the Universit[…]