This is the location for conversations that don't fall anywhere else on FlameFans. Whether its politics, culture, the latest techno stuff or just the best places to travel on the web ... this is your forum.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
A true culture warrior and jurist died today at the age of 79.

This obviously is a boon for Obama to be able to push through a liberal justice before leaving office. It obviously significantly impacts the balance of the court.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I posted this in the election thread because it's now THE biggest issue. I don't see them filling it before the next term starts which I believe is Oct
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I can actually see the Republicans standing firm on this one. Call me crazy. The only way they wouldn't would be for Obama to put forward a 'moderate' and there is no way no how he is going to do that. He is going to nominate the biggest lightening rod he can find and dare the Republicans to not confirm
By bluejacket
Scalia was the conservative mouthpiece of the Supreme Court. The Republicans are going to sit on this. If a Republican-controlled Congress approves any Obama nominee in the next 11 months, there will be a real revolt within the party.
By 01LUGrad
Registration Days Posts
I've seen like 3 episodes of Scandal, so I'm pretty sure I know what happened here.
He accepted a late invitation to stay at a hunting lodge owned by a staunch Democratic supporter and was found dead with a pillow on his head? The death was ruled to have occurred due to natural causes by a judge who didn't see the body? No autopsy will be performed?
Here's what really happened:
The Dems realized that Hillary is in big trouble and that Sanders has no chance in the General, so they had Scalia bumped off in order to ensure a liberal advantage in the SC. It had to happen this far out so that the Republicans will have a difficult time blocking the nominee.

You're welcome. :-)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Thoughts from our 'Strict Constitutionalists' on the Senate saying they won't hold hearings on a Nominee?
Will the President just make a recess appointment?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Thoughts from our 'Strict Constitutionalists' on the Senate saying they won't hold hearings on a Nominee?
I think it would be hilarious if Obama nominated Ted Cruz after the Republican leadership in the Senate chose to just outright say no hearings. Won't happen, but it would be pretty funny...
By GoUNCA
Registration Days Posts
First, I didn't like Scalia. I hear he was a great friend person to person. And not so much for his positions, but for his bombast from the bench. I think it taints the aura required for a supreme court. I mean, few have similar feelings about Alito by comparison.

Politically, I think McConnell played his hand poorly (again). He came out within hours, hard, saying that the next president should fill the vacancy. While I guess anything could happen primary wise, it doesn't look good. And Republicans have been at a steady disadvantage in presidential elections as of late anyway.

Point being, now if a Democrat wins the white house, he has given them license to nominate someone more progressive than Obama could have nominated because the people have spoken. So in such a poor position, the best thing to do would have been to play Obama into nominating the most moderate possible, dragging it out as long as possible. During this you would venerate Scalia's memory and service, as you watch the general election unfold. Finally, you'd have to make a judgement on the november outcome (whether R or D will win) on whether to block the justice completely in case of an R win or to rush through a moderate judge to block a more progressive incoming D pick.

He basically painted himself into a corner right next to a giant obstructionist sign. Didn't take a rocket scientist to see that coming.
Last edited by GoUNCA on March 2nd, 2016, 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
By GoUNCA
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:Thoughts from our 'Strict Constitutionalists' on the Senate saying they won't hold hearings on a Nominee?
I think it would be hilarious if Obama nominated Ted Cruz after the Republican leadership in the Senate chose to just outright say no hearings. Won't happen, but it would be pretty funny...
Or if a victorious Clinton nominated Obama, just to troll the senate.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Oh, that is highly likely if she wins in November and the Dems were to gain control of Senate.
Is Dem control of the Senate possible?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]